Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Recruiting Class

Register to remove this advertisement
    On paper this seems to be one of the best recruiting classes we've had in a long time! I personally can't remember being this excited about a group of new faces coming in. We definitely got more wwaaayyy more athletic this offseason and beefed up our 2-4 positions. The only downside is there isn't a whole lot of info on these guys because they aren't from the area and no one is familiar or seen them in person. I know expectations can and will be unfair but I'd love to hear what everyone thinks about these guys and what you think their role will be this upcoming season.

Tyreke Key - 6'2" 180 - Freshman - Your typical overlooked small town kid from the middle of nowhere. Put up video game numbers throughout his entire career. Looks like a great kid that will work hard during his time here. I'm personally trying to keep the hype about Key down because his high school numbers were so gaudy you can't expect anything close to that. I'm expecting him to play the 1 & 2 and be in that 7-10 minutes a game range. Hopefully he comes in and pushes Paige which will benefit both individuals and the team.

Devin Thomas - 6'8" 205 - Junior - 28th rated juco player. Very athletic big that will hopefully fill our rebounding problems from last season. Looks like he will come in and start right away for us. Thomas at the 4 and Rickman at the 5 should be a fun combo to watch.

Clayton Hughes - 6'5" 180 - Freshman - Highly recruited kid that has some moxie to him. Hughes seemed to be the "icing on the cake" kid that we brought in this offseason. Sneaky athletic, plays with a chip on his shoulder, and appears to have that versatility to play multiple positions. I have a feeling that he will be a fun one to have around.

Daniel Hunermann - 6'9" 225 - Freshman - Does anybody no anything about this kid? He seems to be one big question mark, nobody can even confirm how tall the kid has gotten. I've heard great, good, and bad things about this kid from different sources. looks like we'll just have to wait till the practices to see/hear about him.

Qiydar Davis - 6'6" - 220 - Senior - College veteran who has played on some good teams. Obviously having 2 season ending knee injuries and another knee injury the year prior raises some red flags. But it looks like this kid can play when healthy. Hopefully he is a good emotional leader for us this season after all the things that he has been through. The LATech board had nothing but good things to say about him. Welcome aboard Qiydar!

Would love to hear some of your thoughts about everyone coming in and where they should fit in
    NCAA: 1979, 2000, 2001, 2011------MVC XC Champs: 1996, 1998, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2014

NIT: 1977, 1978, 2013, 2014--------MVC Indoor Champs: 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015

Final Four: 1979----------------------MVC Outdoor Champs: 1988, 1990, 1993, 1997, 2001, 2006, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014

1,000 point members: 38

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Key-Hope he plays at least 15 mins a game for us as a 1 or 2. There will be an adjustment period for him... but I think by seasons end he will be a major scoring punch off the bench and will be pushing the starters to stay on top of their games.

Thomas- Start from day one and provide everything that MVS and Niels couldn't at the 4 spot....No pressure big fella lol

Hunermann- No idea....I would hope he can at least be our change up kind of big that can space the floor when need be. The rest of the bigs on the roster are not known as 3pt shooters.

Hughes- Provided he is capable defensively I see him starting on the wing next to Scott. We need more size on the wing with Barnes and Scott out there and he can give us that. Hope he can be that glue guy next year that averages 7 or so a game and gives us a little bit of everything.

Davis- If he plays the full season I don't see how he doesn't help us. Has a big frame, known as a defensive player, capable shooter, ton of experience...Playing 15 mins off the bench behind Hughes would be a big plus....The gigantic elephant in the room is will he actually see the floor for us. He is like 5 or 6 months off of an ACL tear. Those injuries aren't what they use to be....but given the fact that he's had multiple leg injuries it becomes a bigger deal.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Southgrad07 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Key: I hope/expect him to take Barnes' role from last year. He'll most likely be one of the first or second guards off the bench and be relied upon for some instant offense and energy. Until I see him play defense against D1 talent, I can't really assume what his role will turn into but I'm guessing Lansing & Co. expect him to fill Barnes' bench spot now that Barnes is the presumed starter at PG. Key will fill in at backup PG at times, but I expect him to play more 2 guard. Again, I'll need to see how he handles the ball against better defenders before I say he's our answer at backup PG.

Thomas: Possibly unfortunate for him, I have huge expectations. He's our starting PF, and if he's not we have BIG BIG problems. He was a dominant shot blocker at the JUCO level (5th in the nation in total blocks), adequate rebounder (7 per game) and accurate in the paint (61% FG%). On paper, he's exactly the PF we were missing last year.

Hunermann: Complete wildcard. I half expect him to redshirt, but that's primarily because I know nothing of his game and he looks like he needs to put on some weight. He may be a deadeye from three, or he could be slow and a complete liability on defense. No clue. Thankfully, the season does not depend on whether he steps in immediately.

Hughes: Complete stud of an athlete. If I think back to last year, our #1 weakness in general was our lack of athleticism. We were slow and short, and we had nobody that could get to the basket when needed. We were a team full of spot-up three point shooters, and we weren't particularly good at making them because they were almost always contested. Hughes looks like a guy that can breakdown a defense, get into the paint and either finish through contact or be in a position to kick out to our shooters like Scott and Barnes. I also like that it seems he has a little bit of an edge to him. We need a few Billy Badasses on the team. Irrational confidence can be a good thing sometimes. In terms of expectations, I see him coming off the bench to start the year. To consider him a day-one starter as a Freshman is a little hard to predict, but since he has a prep year under his belt I see him cracking the starting lineup at some point this year. Regardless, I think he'll play quite a bit and be one of the first wings off the bench.

Davis: I have no idea what his injury limitations will be, but I find it hard to believe that he's transferring to State without some relative assurance he's getting big minutes. What would be the point of him coming here if he didn't think he was going to start? Hughes may overtake Davis for playing time as the season progresses, but based on his age and experience I think Davis is our day-one starting SF. This all assumes his knee is healthy, which I have zero idea if that's true.

All in all - I'm pretty pumped about this class. I think Lansing has done a terrific job in upgrading the roster with guys that will contribute this year and have a high ceiling for future development. We appear to be a better basketball team today than when the season ended.

Supporting Member SycamoreStateofMind's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,468 Posts
    Everyone else has pretty much said what needs to be said for me... I haven't seen any of these guys in person so will wait to pass judgement on any of them. My gut tells me the following:

Starters
    PG: Barnes (Lock)
    SG: Scott (Lock)
    SF: Davis (If Healthy)
    PF: Thomas (Lock)
    C: Rickman/Murphy (Split)

Bench
    Hughes for Davis
    Key for Barnes
    Paige for Scott
    Kessinger for Thomas
    Rickman for Murphy - Personally I think I'd start Murphy. It gives you the flexibility to always have a shotblocker Thomas or Rickman on the floor.
    Knight for Paige

Second Unit
    PG: Key
    SG: Paige
    SF: Hughes
    PF: Kessinger
    C: Rickman

Depth Chart
    PG: Barnes, Key, Paige, Knight
    SG: Scott, Key, Paige, Knight, Deady
    SF: Davis, Hughes, Paige, Claycomb, Deady
    PF: Thomas, Davis, Kessinger
    C: Murphy, Rickman, Kessinger

Redshirt:
    Hunermann
    Last edited by SycamoreStateofMind; 05-24-2017 at 11:08 AM.
    Roll Timber!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreStateofMind View Post
    Everyone else has pretty much said what needs to be said for me... I haven't seen any of these guys in person so will wait to pass judgement on any of them. My gut tells me the following:

Starters
    PG: Barnes (Lock)
    SG: Scott (Lock)
    SF: Davis (If Healthy)
    PF: Thomas (Lock)
    C: Rickman/Murphy (Split)

Bench
    Hughes for Davis
    Key for Barnes
    Paige for Scott
    Kessinger for Thomas
    Rickman for Murphy - Personally I think I'd start Murphy. It gives you the flexibility to always have a shotblocker Thomas or Rickman on the floor.
    Knight for Paige

Second Unit
    PG: Key
    SG: Paige
    SF: Hughes
    PF: Kessinger
    C: Rickman

Depth Chart
    PG: Barnes, Key, Paige, Knight
    SG: Scott, Key, Paige, Knight, Deady
    SF: Davis, Hughes, Paige, Claycomb, Deady
    PF: Thomas, Davis, Kessinger
    C: Murphy, Rickman, Kessinger

Redshirt:
    Hunermann
    This all seems reasonable based on what we know at this point in time. I could see some value in playing Murphy alongside Thomas, but I don't think it requires Murphy to start to have a shotblocker on the floor at all times. It's just a matter of managing substitutions properly. What we don't want are too many instances of Kessinger and Murphy on the floor at the same time because we would have zero rim protection and limited rebounding.

Lansing will need to manage the frontcourt like OKC used to manage Westbrook and Durant. Both frequently played at the same time, but at least one was always on the court. Both Thomas and Rickman should play together because I think that's a potentially lethal defensive duo, but rarely if ever should they both be on the bench.

Thanks
    Does anybody know what to expect from Deady and Claycomb this season? I've heard that they are about as good of walk-ons as you can hope for. I'm just interested if they have a legit chance of being a contributor this season for us.
    NCAA: 1979, 2000, 2001, 2011------MVC XC Champs: 1996, 1998, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2014

NIT: 1977, 1978, 2013, 2014--------MVC Indoor Champs: 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015

Final Four: 1979----------------------MVC Outdoor Champs: 1988, 1990, 1993, 1997, 2001, 2006, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014

1,000 point members: 38

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Does anybody know what to expect from Deady and Claycomb this season? I've heard that they are about as good of walk-ons as you can hope for. I'm just interested if they have a legit chance of being a contributor this season for us.
    I'd say with our depth at the 2-3 positions we shouldn't need them as contributors this season. If they do it will be because someone did not pan out as they are expected or because of injury. Lansing has always played too many players as is.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreStateofMind View Post

Redshirt:
    Hunermann
    Yep.
    March on, you fighting Sycamores, Sycamores

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Everything that has been said is reasonable, but I hope we see a lot of improvement in BK as a backup PF or maybe some low post action if Murphy doesn't improve.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Register to remove this advertisement
    I have no idea who'll be in the starting line up. I'm just really happy the coaches stepped up their game and put together what looks to be a very good recruiting class. Now, I hope they spend some time working on some new wrinkles to our offense, defense and substitution patterns.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meistro For This Useful Post: