Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,353 Times in 791 Posts

Register to remove this advertisement
    Was hoping the article contained a little more detail about how they have looked in practice but I guess it is early and those things may be hard to sort out right now.

Interested to see how ready Davis is by the start of the season. I can't imagine they would give him a scholarship if they didn't think he would be 100% by October/November. In some ways he could be a bit of the wildcard for this season. If he steps in and is healthy, it will help the team in a big way. If he can't go, we are left with only one true "3" and he would be a freshman. It would be a lot to ask of Hughes if that were to happen.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluethunder View Post
    If he can't go, we are left with only one true "3" and he would be a freshman. It would be a lot to ask of Hughes if that were to happen.
    you are right, obviously having Davis healthy would be ideal as far as a "true" line-up on the floor. But if we went small with a combo of Barnes, Scott, Key/Knight/Paige on the floor at the same time, we'd still have a viable line-up if need be. Also if we decided to go big with Thomas, Kessinger, Rickman/Murphy at the 3-4-5 it might prove to have some mismatches in our favor. Huenermann is still a giant wildcard for us this season (although i'd bet he would redshirt) and with Demonte, Deedy, Claycomb able to spell some minutes here and there (surely one of them will be able to provide a lift any given night) we should be able to patch-up the wound if Davis is not 100% healthy.

I'm hoping this season Kessinger stays out of the 5 position. You could tell that he was not comfortable with his back to the basket.
    NCAA: 1979, 2000, 2001, 2011------MVC XC Champs: 1996, 1998, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2014

NIT: 1977, 1978, 2013, 2014--------MVC Indoor Champs: 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015

Final Four: 1979----------------------MVC Outdoor Champs: 1988, 1990, 1993, 1997, 2001, 2006, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014

1,000 point members: 38

Thanks
    Thanked 1,353 Times in 791 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post

I'm hoping this season Kessinger stays out of the 5 position. You could tell that he was not comfortable with his back to the basket.
    I'm hoping he can play without any pain or discomfort in his leg. If he can get that taken care of, and play the 4 spot, I think we will see a lot more out of him and a nice jump in his production.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I mean that was literally the first time those new guys were on the practice floor for us...So smart on Todd's end to not jump to conclusions after 1hr of observation by not only himself, but the staff as well. Im sure 2-3 weeks in he can start having dialogue with the staff and those close to the program to get a better feel for what they've seen and what to expect.

As far as Davis and the 3 is concerned... I'm sure the staff is confident that he will be ready to start doing team practices and stuff by then...But I would be interested to know if he is even to the stage of light jogging and/or shooting by himself yet. If he's not there, then having him game ready by October is probably a stretch. If he's not available Hughes better be ready and hopefully Claycomb has beefed up some and can play a little until Davis is fully healthy.

On a side note.. love the little video stuff they have been doing on Twitter. It is a little thing, but an easy marketing tool that hasn't been done enough in the past.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Southgrad07 For This Useful Post:

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Southgrad07 View Post
    If he's not available Hughes better be ready and hopefully Claycomb has beefed up some and can play a little until Davis is fully healthy.
    I hope we have enough talent/experience that we are not relying on a walk on.

Supporting Member SycamoreStateofMind's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,552 Times in 1,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sycamorebacker View Post
    I hope we have enough talent/experience that we are not relying on a walk on.
    He's not a typical walk-on neither is Deady. Obviously you'd like your scholarship players to produce enough that you wouldn't need to use your walk-ons. But we are not so talented year over year that walk-ons can't help us. At worst they are a good insurance policy if any of our guys are not healthy. Based on what I watched last year I wouldn't be worried if either of those guys saw the floor. I think they are very capable guys - luckily we had a good class and they probably won't have too many opportunities.
    Roll Timber!

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Well, we've used walk on players before; but I'm hoping we have more-than-normal talent this year. Can't forget, though, that three of them are freshmen. We might need some help somewhere for depth.

Role Player
    Thanks

Register to remove this advertisement
    Quote Originally Posted by sycamorebacker View Post
    Well, we've used walk on players before; but I'm hoping we have more-than-normal talent this year. Can't forget, though, that three of them are freshmen. We might need some help somewhere for depth.
    Since anyone can sit in on the practices was wondering if anyone has and what do they think about what they seen in first few workouts with the freshmen