Become a Supporting Member to remove this and all other advertisments! Click HERE for more info!
    Thanks

2017 Sycamore Football Training Camp: Scrimmage #1

Register to remove this advertisement

TERRE HAUTE, Ind. Indiana State hit the field on another beautiful morning at Memorial Stadium on Saturday for its first full-contact scrimmage of the fall a crucial day of action on both sides of the ball heading into the final week of camp and forthcoming final decisions on position battles.

More...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to GoSycamores For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,465 Posts
    Did anyone go to the scrimmage? Anything else to add?
    No ads. Name in gold. Enhanced features. Become a Supporting Member for only $15 today!

Sycamore Hoops | MVCTalk.com | MVFCTalk.com

Thanks
    Yes, I did, I m busy at the moment but will respond later

5. The Following User Says Thank You to blueblazer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by blueblazer View Post
    Yes, I did, I m busy at the moment but will respond later
    First of all I've been to two practices and a scrimmage
    Practice is set up in 5 minute segments numbering 20 plus segments (24 and 25) when I was there...it is very high paced, positions divided with respective coaches, very spirited. I was very impressed with each one of the assistant coaches and the effort and time they were putting in with each kid. Indiana State is blessed with some very good assistant coaches.
    The biggest concern that I have is with the receivers. In practice they consistently drop the ball during passing drills, way too many drop balls, Also that carried over into the scrimmage. I'm hoping to see the biggest improvement in the next two weeks in this area hopefully these receivers will get much better.

Kicking game: both our place kickers are excellent. Andrew Lunceford was consistently kicking the ball in the end zone for kick off's, and kicked some 45 to 50 yard field goals consistently with the ball flying over the far fence on the east side, and at 50 yards that's a pretty good poke. Jerry Nunez had some trouble with long field goals, the toe was there, but the accuracy was slightly off..... he improved greatly during the scrimmage. Folks we have kickers. The punting team well also but will be utilizing the rugby kick in certain situations

Runnning backs....loaded, Booker is 1 and I'm not sure on 2 but McCoy is as good as advertised. I'm hoping the Lamont Booker has a good year without injuries because he certainly deserves it . McCoy is deceptively good .

Very hard for me to evaluate the offensive of line since I know little about that, however I thought they played better than what we thought they were going to be.... sorry, I can't tell much from the drills, but I suspect they will improve steadily

Quarterbacks : this position could also be a strength of this team, although experience is going to be a major factor in how well they play
    Cade Sparks has started taking the snaps in all the practices and in the game, he also started the game on Saturday. However, he has been the victim of some drop passes, fumbled handoffs by backs and receivers, most notably, incorrect route run by the receivers . I believe he has the strongest arm at least for the down field throws . He is a straight pocket passer as far as I can tell. In the practices I attended, Zach Larkin took second snaps and just as many as Sparks took, like Sparks he is very talented but lacks experience, might be just a little bit better runner than sparks . These two young man could be very awesome and our future . Isaac Harker took the third snaps in practice and second series in the scrimmage . He is the most experience quarterback we have and he looked very comfortable behind center the other day, his arm isn't nearly as strong as Sparks or Larkin but he's a little bit better on his feet and has experience on his side . Aaron Young look fairly good in practice but got very little playing time in scrimmage so I doubt that he will be a factor for the starting job .

Simply put receivers have to improve in almost every facet of the game

The defense looked awesome during the scrimmage, I don't know how this will play out in game time but they seem to be our strength at this moment and Coach Wilson is going to magnificent job with them. Defense was very impressive
    Last edited by blueblazer; 08-13-2017 at 02:42 PM.

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to blueblazer For This Useful Post:

Legend
    Thanks
    I fear a lot of three and outs and an exhausted defense, if we can't pass the ball somewhat consistently.
    Fear the Trees!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bent20 View Post
    I fear a lot of three and outs and an exhausted defense, if we can't pass the ball somewhat consistently.
    Agreed. Could be a lot of 2 runs - 1 pass - punt situations. If the receivers are as inconsistent as they sound, we're going to need Booker and McCoy to be serious bell-cows. The defense is going to find itself in a lot of situations where they're defending a short field.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,465 Posts
    Which begs my question from multiple other threads this offseason. What happened that caused all of those receivers to leave? When you lose 4-5 guys, all upperclassmen that saw significant playing time, it's pretty puzzling.

I'd assume it has to be a grade or discipline issue and it also should call to question some of the rumored things Sanford and staff did to keep kids on the field. Were lots of rumors floating around and it sounds like a lot of it may have been true.
    No ads. Name in gold. Enhanced features. Become a Supporting Member for only $15 today!

Sycamore Hoops | MVCTalk.com | MVFCTalk.com

Thanks

Register to remove this advertisement
    Issac Harker named starting QB.....he looked comfortable and took control in scrimmage, more mobile, showed leadership, experience helps