Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
    Banned
    Thanks

Register to remove this advertisement
    Quote Originally Posted by Westbadenboy View Post
    Are we arguing about who got the most attention and publicity in high school ? Which players were the most well known ?

Its not about being known ....... publicity ...... etc................

:violent:

Ya, right...maybe ISU should hire 'Backer to scour the alleys & backyards of French Lick-like areas for the next GREAT HS LB who desires the "hanging low" lifestyle and total secrecy. We could even have a traveling "Howard Hughes All-star Team" that only plays in the backwoods of Hoosier National Forest, thus preserving the sanctity of their hoop existence. Bad idea...the squirrels might complain to the IN DNR and the Audubon Society would cease supporting the BIRDS.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I did "stumble" accross someone one night at the 1966 Greencastle sectional. His name was Larry Steele (Bainbridge, all-star, UK). At that time, he was a 6'7" jr, shooting 25 ft set shots.
    I don't know the coach's name, but it was a joy to watch. It was the best passing team I've ever seen. They almost completey eliminated the dribble from their game. Beautiful!

In Kentucky, I think they hand you a roll of bills and send you out the hills to find players.

Starter
    Thanks

Aau ?

I'm pretty sure there was no AAU ball for high school kids in those days. And yes Larry played (against some of the best "amatur" players around) AAU ball and from what I heard was a dominat force. I'm pretty sure another relative of mine from SV -- Kevin Carnes -- also played with Larry. Kevin was considered one of the best guards around, but never wanted to go on and play college ball.

Thanks

Q

Quote Originally Posted by 4Q_iu View Post
    Just a couple of thoughts...

Joe B Hall wanted him in Lexington, Denny Crum wanted him in Louisville, he (Larry) wasn't interested in West Lafayette because Walter Jordan and Wayne Walls were already signed and he knew his position was 'stacked'; State wanted him, the Sphincter of Gloomington wanted him; have to believe McCutchan wanted him in Evansville, as did Joe Sexton and Jim Holstein at ISU-Muncie.
    Sniper 4Q_iu where are you? Come out come out, wherever you are.

OLLIE OLLIE OXEN FREE! Or should that be OLLIE OLLIE SNIPER FREE!

We're coming up real soon here on 24 hours for you to provide your sources on the Joe B Hall, Denny Crum, wanted Bird in a Five-Way with Arad McCuthcan and Pamela Sue Anderson or whatever that "dose of fantasy" is that you came up with.

Sorry about that, aren't you the one who said just a few threads back, "Opining on some things are great but sometimes ya have to let the facts speak for themselves!" Quote 4Q_iu, April, 2011

I'm opining for something alright. If you don't come up with some sources for the Urban Legend stuff that you were OPINING about, I'm throwing in the BULLSHIT CARD on that real soon, and I'm taking your post straight to SNOPES!!!

The clock is uh tickin'.......tick - tock - tick - tock - tick - tock
    Last edited by Gotta Hav; 04-18-2011 at 11:15 PM.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotta Hav View Post
    Sniper 4Q_iu where are you? Come out come out, wherever you are.

OLLIE OLLIE OXEN FREE! Or should that be OLLIE OLLIE SNIPER FREE!

We're coming up real soon here on 24 hours for you to provide your sources on the Joe B Hall, Denny Crum, wanted Bird in a Five-Way with Arad McCuthcan and Pamela Sue Anderson or whatever that "dose of fantasy" is that you came up with.

Sorry about that, aren't you the one who said just a few threads back, "Opining on some things are great but sometimes ya have to let the facts speak for themselves!" Quote 4Q_iu, April, 2011

I'm opining for something alright. If you don't come up with some sources for the Urban Legend stuff that you were OPINING about, I'm throwing in the BULLSHIT CARD on that real soon, and I'm taking your post straight to SNOPES!!!

The clock is uh tickin'.......tick - tock - tick - tock - tick - tock
    So you think that Knight wanted him, but nobody else? That's the stupidest thing you have said.

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sycamorebacker View Post
    I did "stumble" accross someone one night at the 1966 Greencastle sectional. His name was Larry Steele (Bainbridge, all-star, UK). At that time, he was a 6'7" jr, shooting 25 ft set shots.
    I don't know the coach's name, but it was a joy to watch. It was the best passing team I've ever seen. They almost completey eliminated the dribble from their game. Beautiful!

In Kentucky, I think they hand you a roll of bills and send you out the hills to find players.
    Didn't Steele sign w/ Purdue? I was hoping ISU would've signed him, given that they had signed ROD HERVEY from Cloverdale in '65 (a stone's throw away). Was former THS Coach Pat Rady coaching Hervey & IN All-Star Rick Ford during that era?

I recall that Bainbridge squad, as they were trying to steal the newsprint from TH Garfield ...the TH Star had 'em on their radar (Top 15 area teams), as did Sagarin. Just goes to show that even those from the "backwoods" still get their due notice when warranted.

Big question...why was '75 IN All-star Coach Kirby Overman (New Albany) so anti-Bird, especially given the "reports" that LB was ripping a few All-star -ssholes in practice?
    Last edited by BankShot; 04-19-2011 at 09:37 AM.

All-Conference
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BankShot View Post
    Didn't Steele sign w/ Purdue? I was hoping ISU would've signed him, given that they had signed ROD HERVEY from Cloverdale in '65 (a stone's throw away). Was former THS Coach Pat Rady coaching Hervey & IN All-Star Rick Ford during that era?

I recall that Bainbridge squad, as they were trying to steal the newsprint from TH Garfield ...the TH Star had 'em on their radar (Top 15 area teams), as did Sagarin. Just goes to show that even those from the "backwoods" still get their due notice when warranted.

Big question...why was '75 IN All-star Coach Kirby Overman (New Albany) so anti-Bird, especially given the "reports" that LB was ripping a few All-star -ssholes in practice?
    rady coached steele

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BankShot View Post

Don't know if he "signed" with PU. He played at UK. Back then they usually played where they signed.

Some all-star coaches don't do well at playing everybody. Last year's coach liked the smaller, quicker players and didn't play Carroll or Kitchell very much. I thought height was supposed to be good in basketball. But he is the Anderson coach and they probably don't utilize post players there.
    Last edited by sycamorebacker; 04-19-2011 at 11:16 AM.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Larry was Indiana AAU Player of the Year

I have not read this entire thread so this nugget may already be in there. It was well known in 1975 - 1980 that Larry played AAU ball after dropping out of IU and was selected the Indiana AAU Player of the Year.

Another part of that story is that the trophy he was given spelled his name "Larry Byrd."

I suspect that this assertion can be documented.

Starter
    Thanks

KU U of L etc

Register to remove this advertisement
    The story that Joe B wanted him at KU is true -- I've heard the story about Crum playing Bird in HORSE but don't know if that one is true.