Become a Supporting Member to remove this and all other advertisments! Click HERE for more info!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 34
  1. #11
    Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Camp Pendleton
    Posts
    7,595
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 40 Times in 31 Posts
    Rep Power
    20

    Register to remove this advertisement
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyTreeFan View Post
    What is deemed offensive? What is offensive to me might not be offensive to you, and vice versa. So, if ONE person, and only one person, is offended, is that bannable (is that really a word?)? Like I said, it's Jason's site, he can do anything he wants, but this isn't as clear cut an argument as some of you think it is.

    I'm so waiting for someone to use the word "balding" because I'm gonna go CRAZY!!!
    It's really simple actually, if you wouldn't say that in company of someone of that race or ethnicity, don't say it. That's my guideline at least.

  2. #12
    Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Camp Pendleton
    Posts
    7,595
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 40 Times in 31 Posts
    Rep Power
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by BankShot View Post
    OK...Specifically, what said here on the Forum of late falls under this criteria? Are you alleging that my statement last week re: the massive influx of Hispanics to the Boise, ID area...and suggestion that in "20 yrs. Boise State will be named EL BOISE State"...is racially or ethnically offensive? Explain.
    What prompted this I am sure was the "Gay AD" comments...

  3. #13
    Supporting Member IndyTreeFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    7,902
    Thanks
    1,906
    Thanked 1,409 Times in 862 Posts
    Rep Power
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by Dgreenwell3 View Post
    It's really simple actually, if you wouldn't say that in company of someone of that race or ethnicity, don't say it. That's my guideline at least.
    I would agree with you, but what if that's not someone else's guideline? Yes, there is right and wrong, and we all need act with civility. But I disagree that if someone mentions a race or ethnicity that it's automatically offensive. Particularly when the statement can be backed up with facts, like population trends or such.

    My argument about what "hateful" means is simply to point out that we all might need to toughen up a little bit.

    Don't you ever use the word "balding" Greenie, or imma comin' after you!!! :bigsmile:

  4. #14
    Administrator Jason Svoboda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Fishers, IN
    Posts
    57,033
    Thanks
    2,051
    Thanked 5,473 Times in 3,281 Posts
    Rep Power
    342
    Hateful deals with interpersonal communication between members. When someone personally attacks someone else on the forum, that's considered hateful IMO.

  5. #15
    Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Camp Pendleton
    Posts
    7,595
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 40 Times in 31 Posts
    Rep Power
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyTreeFan View Post
    I would agree with you, but what if that's not someone else's guideline? Yes, there is right and wrong, and we all need act with civility. But I disagree that if someone mentions a race or ethnicity that it's automatically offensive. Particularly when the statement can be backed up with facts, like population trends or such.

    My argument about what "hateful" means is simply to point out that we all might need to toughen up a little bit.

    Don't you ever use the word "balding" Greenie, or imma comin' after you!!! :bigsmile:
    Look,
    if what was said isn't seen as "hateful" towards those of a homosexual nature in your eye, IDK how to tell you how it was. I understand your point of view on "toughen up" but there comes a point where action has to be taken.

  6. #16
    Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Camp Pendleton
    Posts
    7,595
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 40 Times in 31 Posts
    Rep Power
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Svoboda View Post
    Hateful deals with interpersonal communication between members. When someone personally attacks someone else on the forum, that's considered hateful IMO.
    Jason, if you wouldn't mind explaining your reasoning...

  7. #17
    Supporting Member IndyTreeFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    7,902
    Thanks
    1,906
    Thanked 1,409 Times in 862 Posts
    Rep Power
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Svoboda View Post
    Hateful deals with interpersonal communication between members. When someone personally attacks someone else on the forum, that's considered hateful IMO.
    Your castle, your rules...not really trying to be argumentative (oh, maybe just a bit), just pointing out that this is a tougher area than it appears. It's like the old saying about pornography, "I can't define it, but I know it when I see it..." Slightly vague...

    For the record, Jason, I support your policies and moves on this board, if for nothing else than you've proven you run a first class site here. And we all do need to remember to act with civility, and that includes keeping the accusations of "hate" and "bigotry" at a minimum to when they are really warranted. Personally, I like Art Buchwald's stance, "I'm not predjudiced, I hate everyone equally..." People get so touchy...

    But I'm serious about the balding comments...just waiting...:D

  8. #18
    Administrator Jason Svoboda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Fishers, IN
    Posts
    57,033
    Thanks
    2,051
    Thanked 5,473 Times in 3,281 Posts
    Rep Power
    342
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyTreeFan View Post
    I would agree with you, but what if that's not someone else's guideline? Yes, there is right and wrong, and we all need act with civility. But I disagree that if someone mentions a race or ethnicity that it's automatically offensive. Particularly when the statement can be backed up with facts, like population trends or such.

    My argument about what "hateful" means is simply to point out that we all might need to toughen up a little bit.

    Don't you ever use the word "balding" Greenie, or imma comin' after you!!! :bigsmile:
    As I mentioned in our mod forum, Bank's initial posts weren't out of line. They were off-topic, which is why they were pulled and moved into another thread in the Sycamore Pub forum. That's where he should have started a new thread. That said, Bankshot was out of line (see posts 18 and 23) because he veered from discussing his points and resorted to childish name calling.

    Then on the Andi issue, sexual orientation has absolutely no bearing on an individual's ability to perform their job. She was just blatantly incompetent, but it had nothing to do with her being gay. Had she been straight, she still would have done the same things because I believe it was an agenda (and dual incompetence) from higher above that she was hired to carry out.

    Bottom line is we get thousands of visitors here daily. Students, alumni, administrators, potential recruits, opposing fan bases, media and the whole 9. Do we really want to have our fan base painted as close minded or racist? I don't. We let folks post and discuss pretty much anything they want on here but folks need to realize what I mentioned above and make sure their postings are done with civility and tact because so many eyes are watching.

  9. #19
    Administrator Jason Svoboda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Fishers, IN
    Posts
    57,033
    Thanks
    2,051
    Thanked 5,473 Times in 3,281 Posts
    Rep Power
    342
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyTreeFan View Post
    Your castle, your rules...not really trying to be argumentative (oh, maybe just a bit), just pointing out that this is a tougher area than it appears. It's like the old saying about pornography, "I can't define it, but I know it when I see it..." Slightly vague...

    For the record, Jason, I support your policies and moves on this board, if for nothing else than you've proven you run a first class site here. And we all do need to remember to act with civility, and that includes keeping the accusations of "hate" and "bigotry" at a minimum to when they are really warranted. Personally, I like Art Buchwald's stance, "I'm not predjudiced, I hate everyone equally..." People get so touchy...

    But I'm serious about the balding comments...just waiting...:D
    If history is any indicator, I think we let people run free on the range for the most part so it really isn't that big of a deal. I think I can count on one or two hands the number of times I've actually had to interject and close threads since we opened up in 2007.

    I agree with the accusations comment. That's why I didn't trash his thoughts in the first place -- I could have just deleted the off-topic posts and been done with it. That said, if you're going to post something like that, you had damn well be ready to back it up with statistical data and sources to prove your point. Otherwise, why open that can of worms?

  10. #20
    Legend BankShot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Newburgh, IN
    Posts
    10,043
    Thanks
    1,537
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 820 Posts
    Rep Power
    78

    Register to remove this advertisement
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Svoboda View Post
    . That said, Bankshot was out of line (see posts 18 and 23) because he veered from discussing his points and resorted to childish name calling.

    .
    I was addressed as a BIGOT & HATER & compared to "Nazi Germany" - that's not NAME CALLING?

    Re: "backing up" my accusations, I'll simply say that a picture's worth a thousand words - Taco Bell Arena w/ access via Cesar Chavez Ln....if you want demographic #'s, I'll get 'em.
    Last edited by BankShot; 12-09-2011 at 12:01 PM.


Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •