Become a Supporting Member to remove this and all other advertisments! Click HERE for more info!
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,989 Times in 2,994 Posts

'09 IN PG Jake Odum (LOI)

Register to remove this advertisement
    Point guard
    Terre Haute (IN) Terre Haute South Vigo

Ht: 6-foot-2
    Wt: 160 lbs
    No ads. Name in gold. Enhanced features. Become a Supporting Member for only $15 today!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,989 Times in 2,994 Posts
    Really loved his fire at the end of the ORU game. If he continues to develop, he is going to be a very solid player for us over his career.
    No ads. Name in gold. Enhanced features. Become a Supporting Member for only $15 today!

All-Conference
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Svoboda View Post
    Really loved his fire at the end of the ORU game. If he continues to develop, he is going to be a very solid player for us over his career.

I like looking back at comments about players early, and see how it compares to now since we are late in season.

Good call Svo....:bigsmile:

Supporting Member SycamoreStateofMind's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,016 Times in 1,756 Posts
    http://www.sycamorepride.com/showthr...ke+Odum&page=2

You want to see an entertaining thread? Read the one above and ask me what has Tom James had to say about Jake Odum since? Nattta!
    Roll Timber!

Banned
    Thanks
    Whatever more could you expect from a "football guy" ?? Probably wouldn't have liked the tall skinny kid from French Lick when he was in high school either?

Thanks
    How much of Odum's game has improved from HS until today?

Did the RS year hurt or help?

Supporting Member SycamoreStateofMind's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,016 Times in 1,756 Posts
    To answer the redshirt question first and do note that I was very much against the idea at the time. Mainly because I thought Odum was ready to prove himself from the day he stepped on campus. However what the redshirt year allowed him to do was:

1. Most importantly grow - he has grown 3 or 4 inches from highschool to today. That has really helped his game out in several ways and I will get to that when I talk about how he has improved.

2. The life - it allowed him to learn what a daily grind college athletics is. Even though he wasn't playing in the games he got used to practicing on a daily basis, weights, studying, eating on campus all that comes with being a college athlete. They talk about freshman hitting a wall, probably the main reason he hasn't hit a wall.

3. Maturity - The red shirt allowed him to grow a lot mentally. Helped him understand the game better by getting the chance to watch how college basketball was played for a year. He learned from guys like Jake Kelly and Harry Marshall both good players in their own right - had to be very beneficial to him.

How he has improved and trust me he has improved. Jake Odum was going to be good coming out of high school, it was a given - more of a given than someone people on here will lead you to believe. I will say that most of the people who had seen Jake Odum played had bought into him once they seen him play.

1. That 3 or 4 inches of growth really made him a much longer player and he already anticipated the ball well but has allowed/helped him lead the league in steals. If he was still 6'0/6'1 he would NOT lead the league in steals. As it is he already had good anticipation skills, now he has the length to finish the steals.

2. He's always been crafty with the ball, but I think he has learned what he can and can't do at the college level very quickly. I think a lot of the time when you see Jake Odum go to the basket and dish off (maybe to unselfish at times) is because he's had to adjust his game. In high school if he got to the rim he could and would try and finish every time. Some of the stuff he threw up in high school would have been thrown in the front row in college. He doesn't get blocked very often - he's much more selective and it's worked out to his advantage.

3. His shooting - mainly his mid range game. He's always had a good mid range jumper. But not nearly as good as it is now - he made a move in the paint last night that was nasty and then he had a short little jumper that he nailed. I think his shooting has improved and will continue to improve across the board.

That's how I see it - others may see it a little different than that? I had the chance to watch him a lot in high school, a few times in AAU and now in college and this is what I am able to see.
    Roll Timber!

Thanks
    Thanks -- Agree with all of your points.

I remember the angst/beating of breast/great gnashing of teeth when it was decided that Jake O. would red-shirt during the 2009-10 season.

Have to believe that red-shirting is a good thing; shoot some argue that re-instating freshman INELIGIBILITY could ALSO be a good thing.

Mainly due to your 2nd and 3rd points.

Thanks
    I believe that the redshirt year helped Jake. It helped in the obvious ways - he got to learn the system without the pressure of turning the ball over in games, it gives us 4 solid years of JO that we would NOT have had otherwise (he wasn't going to take very many minutes away from Harry, JK or Reed). It allowed JO to see the speed of the game in practice - against some pretty good defensive competition (Harry, JK, Eitels). And lastly... many people don't remember, but JO had some pretty serious shin splints when decision time came around.... it let him heal and get used to college basketball demands.

Perhaps the way that it helped most? It made Jake EVEN MORE HUNGRY.
    Sitting at the table... waiting, watching, smelling... but not being able to eat? THAT builds desire.

Ask Jake himself if he thinks redshirting helped.... I'm pretty sure I know the answer.

I can't wait for that mid-range jumper to become even more comfortable for him. That shot is there ALL THE TIME. He just needs to look for it a little more.... then when other teams start coming off the post to help against that shot.... pass down low.
    Proud Supporting Member of SycamorePride.com!
    Help Support the site here.

Legend
    Thanks

Register to remove this advertisement
    NT
    Last edited by bent20; 02-18-2011 at 10:26 AM.
    Fear the Trees!