Become a Supporting Member to remove this and all other advertisments! Click HERE for more info!
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 177
  1. #1
    Administrator Jason Svoboda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Fishers, IN
    Posts
    56,162
    Thanks
    1,941
    Thanked 5,190 Times in 3,115 Posts
    Rep Power
    327

    The Future of the Valley and Indiana State Athletics


    Register to remove this advertisement
    I've been told by several folks at Indiana State that Wichita State is gone. With the Shockers bolting to the AAC, that leaves the Valley in a pretty precarious position.

    Golden wrote a new article saying it isn't dire straights for the Valley and I'm not sure I agree with his thoughts. I don't think the Valley holds the cachet it once did and I personally think the divide between public football schools and the privates in the conference is a WIDE chasm to breach.

    http://www.tribstar.com/sports/local...c623eceb8.html

    Article from NDSU's beat writer's eyes:

    http://www.inforum.com/sports/424083...IuDIQe.twitter
    Last edited by Jason Svoboda; 03-27-2017 at 11:06 AM.
    No ads. Name in gold. Enhanced features. Become a Supporting Member for only $15 today!

  2. #2
    Supporting Member Chief_Quabachi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Forest Creek
    Posts
    1,460
    Thanks
    578
    Thanked 217 Times in 141 Posts
    Rep Power
    26
    IMHO, the loss of Creighton was not good and the loss of Wichita State doesn't bode well for the MVC........period!!

  3. #3
    Hugh McAwesome Bluethunder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Underneath the Bally.....
    Posts
    5,631
    Thanks
    685
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 939 Posts
    Rep Power
    96
    It really all depends on who they add.

    I, for one, am not bothered by WSU leaving at all, I welcome it. If the Valley adds the right team, moves Arch Madness to a smaller arena like the one in St Charles and then aggressively works to get contracts in place on smaller, national networks (like CBS College Sports, or NBC Sports) with a few games on ESPNU it can still be a strong conference.

    The WCC is a below average conference and it hasnt stopped Gonzaga, and to a lesser extent SMC from developing into solid programs. Butler became a household name as a Horizon league member.

    Having WSU move on creates a league with a lot more teams in the same boat financially, and I think will make for a much more competitive league and competitive league tournament.

    I just wish i had any faith in Elgin to be on top of this and to add a good fit in the shockers place.

  4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bluethunder For This Useful Post:


  5. #4
    Administrator Jason Svoboda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Fishers, IN
    Posts
    56,162
    Thanks
    1,941
    Thanked 5,190 Times in 3,115 Posts
    Rep Power
    327
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluethunder View Post
    It really all depends on who they add.

    I, for one, am not bothered by WSU leaving at all, I welcome it. If the Valley adds the right team, moves Arch Madness to a smaller arena like the one in St Charles and then aggressively works to get contracts in place on smaller, national networks (like CBS College Sports, or NBC Sports) with a few games on ESPNU it can still be a strong conference.

    The WCC is a below average conference and it hasnt stopped Gonzaga, and to a lesser extent SMC from developing into solid programs. Butler became a household name as a Horizon league member.

    Having WSU move on creates a league with a lot more teams in the same boat financially, and I think will make for a much more competitive league and competitive league tournament.

    I just wish i had any faith in Elgin to be on top of this and to add a good fit in the shockers place.
    Well, if the article is correct and Loyola was selected because they were a private school, I hope the public presidents demand a public institution that has football to replace Wichita. I know a lot of you guys have championed the Belmonts, Valpos and Oral Roberts in past discussions, but that would be counter productive to Indiana State and the bulk of the conference.

    So that gives me a potential pool of Murray State, North Dakota State, South Dakota State, Eastern Kentucky if you're looking for public schools that field scholarship FCS football and have had basketball success in the last handful of years.
    No ads. Name in gold. Enhanced features. Become a Supporting Member for only $15 today!

  6. #5
    Supporting Member SycamoreStateofMind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Terre Haute
    Posts
    14,815
    Thanks
    2,509
    Thanked 3,136 Times in 1,835 Posts
    Rep Power
    181
    First off let me making something clear. The sky is not falling and the ship is not sinking. That is Golden taking fans reactions on social media to0 literally. He's a reporter and so if you say something to him he takes it at face value rather than being able to read in-between the lines.

    I've been preaching for years on here that the Valley wasn't the conference it was say 10 years ago and it's been a slow and steady decline. From a competition standpoint, from a respect standpoint, from a financial standpoint etc. etc. A lot of outside factors have contributed to this - but some internal ones also.

    Private or public the addition of Loyola was a mistake. That move has done absolutely nothing for this conference. I don't have faith that Elgin will get it right the second time around.

    I could care less if the tourney is ever in STL again with or without the Shox. IMO that venue is much too big for the fans that this conference is able to draw. You pull the Shox out of that mix and we already know they are going to have to move it. I don't have a suggestion as to where it should go - I just hope the trees are competitive enough for me to have to make plans to attend.

    I would HATE it if we lost our ESPN3 deal. I love watching football and basketball away games on that platform. That is the best thing the Valley has ever done.
    Roll Timber!

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SycamoreStateofMind For This Useful Post:


  8. #6
    Supporting Member TreeTop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    5,178
    Thanks
    1,102
    Thanked 872 Times in 580 Posts
    Rep Power
    60
    How about dropping Loyola and being an 8-team league.

    Won't happen, and it's not that serious of a suggestion....but it's really no worse than adding a South Dakota State.
    NO EXCUSES

  9. #7
    Supporting Member SycamoreStateofMind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Terre Haute
    Posts
    14,815
    Thanks
    2,509
    Thanked 3,136 Times in 1,835 Posts
    Rep Power
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by TreeTop View Post
    How about dropping Loyola and being an 8-team league.

    Won't happen, and it's not that serious of a suggestion....but it's really no worse than adding a South Dakota State.
    I would be in favor of kicking Loyola out. lmao
    Roll Timber!

  10. #8
    Administrator Jason Svoboda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Fishers, IN
    Posts
    56,162
    Thanks
    1,941
    Thanked 5,190 Times in 3,115 Posts
    Rep Power
    327
    Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreStateofMind View Post
    First off let me making something clear. The sky is not falling and the ship is not sinking. That is Golden taking fans reactions on social media to0 literally. He's a reporter and so if you say something to him he takes it at face value rather than being able to read in-between the lines.

    I've been preaching for years on here that the Valley wasn't the conference it was say 10 years ago and it's been a slow and steady decline. From a competition standpoint, from a respect standpoint, from a financial standpoint etc. etc. A lot of outside factors have contributed to this - but some internal ones also.

    Private or public the addition of Loyola was a mistake. That move has done absolutely nothing for this conference. I don't have faith that Elgin will get it right the second time around.
    I agree the sky is not falling but let's be honest, the S.S. MoVal is taking water.

    As you've said, college athletics has been trending this way for over a decade. I'd say it really started with the invention of the BCS as that seemed to be the jump off point for these massive media deals. As I also mentioned before, I also don't think this has to do with losing Creighton and (soon) Wichita State and adding Loyola but when you combine the additions/subtractions with giving the big boys autonomy, the flood gates were kicked even further open to allow them to shape athletics how they see fit.

    The reality is there will likely be no differentiation between the Valley, Summit, Horizon and most mid-major conferences in the near future because the power conferences will continue to spend the "have nots" into oblivion because of the media deals. Each Big Ten school got a $45m distribution from their network -- that's nearly 3 years of our total athletics budget.

    Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreStateofMind View Post
    I could care less if the tourney is ever in STL again with or without the Shox. IMO that venue is much too big for the fans that this conference is able to draw. You pull the Shox out of that mix and we already know they are going to have to move it. I don't have a suggestion as to where it should go - I just hope the trees are competitive enough for me to have to make plans to attend.
    Completely agree there, too. If you want to keep it in St. Louis, I think BlueThunder came up with the best solution.

    Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreStateofMind View Post
    I would HATE it if we lost our ESPN3 deal. I love watching football and basketball away games on that platform. That is the best thing the Valley has ever done.
    Agreed times infinity. Losing that deal would hurt and it will be interesting to see if ESPN renews the deal post Wichita State departure.
    No ads. Name in gold. Enhanced features. Become a Supporting Member for only $15 today!

  11. #9
    Supporting Member niklz62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Charleston, IL
    Posts
    3,339
    Thanks
    407
    Thanked 717 Times in 507 Posts
    Rep Power
    49
    why dont they just rotate between schools that have enough space.

  12. #10
    Senior Moderator ISUCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    just west of the middle of nowhere
    Posts
    12,979
    Thanks
    309
    Thanked 802 Times in 571 Posts
    Rep Power
    64

    Register to remove this advertisement
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Svoboda View Post
    I've been told by several folks at Indiana State that Wichita State is gone. With the Shockers bolting to the AAC, that leaves the Valley in a pretty precarious position.

    Golden wrote a new article saying it isn't dire straights for the Valley and I'm not sure I agree with his thoughts. I don't think the Valley holds the cachet it once did and I personally think the divide between public football schools and the privates in the conference is a WIDE chasm to breach.

    http://www.tribstar.com/sports/local...c623eceb8.html

    Article from NDSU's beat writer's eyes:

    http://www.inforum.com/sports/424083...IuDIQe.twitter
    I agree with you Jason, the MVC is toast when WSU leaves, we'll become a for sure 1 bid league now, and slip to low major status. The schools that the rest of the MVC teams would agree on for additions are not very good.

    And I don't trust Elgin either, like others have said elsewhere, when all the realignment was really going on the MVC was passive, not aggressive, and that will be our downfall. It's the beginning of the end.


Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •