Become a Supporting Member to remove this and all other advertisments! Click HERE for more info!
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,582 Times in 2,750 Posts

Register to remove this advertisement
    Quote Originally Posted by meistro View Post
    Got it, then press the powers that be to do a better job fundraising. I know Clink is out there working donors and hope he has success. Winning helps raise money and vice versa. You're educating us on the facts does help. I've personally increased my giving the past couple years and hope others will as well. I'm just stating the fact that playing in arenas like SIUE and EIU do nothing for me, and I would seriously rethink my support in attendance and financially if we played in that conference.
    And we come full circle, right? Chicken and the egg level shit.

We can't get fans out now, even when we do win, in the MVC/MVFC. We've been, for the most part, a losing program during our Valley membership. So we bleed funds. If we dropped down to the OVC, you wouldn't show. So we'd likely win but still bleed funs. Lose-lose scenario.

That said, I contest if we went down to the OVC and won big fans would show up more than they do now. Moving away from that, there is still the stats smacking damn near every school in the face -- year over year decline in attendance in both football and basketball. Maybe attendance isn't a fixable problem?
    No ads. Name in gold. Enhanced features. Become a Supporting Member for only $15 today!

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,091 Times in 638 Posts
    First off no 10X to the OVC.. That conference is 2 rungs down from the MVC despite losing WSU and involves more travel...Secondly, put me in the camp that gate attendance is not a fully fixable issue at our level. With the way TV broadcast quality and availability of games have increased +the attention span of society becoming ever shorter= a downward trend in attendance. Hell even your average high major is sitting at mostly 60-65% capacity... Very few programs draw strong crowds no matter what and I don't see that changing for the good going forward.

I even remember visiting the mighty WSU board in the past 2-3 years and them being disgusted that 1,000-2,000 seats were unfilled for most games..If their success can't sell out all the time (even though most are announced that way) then what can we realistically expect?? I think the realistic goal we should have in mind is to compete at a higher level with our peers. Are we outdrawing ISUR? St Louis? UNI? etc.. Are we filling over 60-65% of our arena more times than not? is the crowd there engaged?? Getting to those benchmarks in the next 2-3 years would be a smashing success given the current college landscape and our lack of winning consistently.

As for a separate yet linked discussion I am for lowering the seat capacity as low as possible for the new HC. UNI's arena is a great model for us. I think they are around 7,000?? But they often have 4,500 or whatever for a game and it sound 3 times as loud as the HC.I don't think given the situation we can get that low...But if we could get to 8,500? I think that would do wonders for the environment of the HC and have a potential snowball effect.

A big part of my theory is that people in general are very much followers. Not all of us can have a screw loose like SSOM and just feel comfortable yelling no matter the circumstance. Most fans go along with the flow of the environment and if it appears quiet their quiet..If it appears loud they will be more comfortable chipping in. So with the reduction the vocal 5-10% of people we do draw end up in a smaller area and thus it appears louder to the masses...Might sound like a minuet thing or complete rubbish, but I truly believe lowering the capacity will result in some people becoming more engaged in the action (given there is a decent product to cheer for). And if it doesn't?? It's not like there is potential revenue being thrown away by doing so other than the 1-2 country concerts it holds a year.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Southgrad07 For This Useful Post:

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I think with the renovations and what looks to be a potentially good team with local talent, we'll see a bump in attendance. The key will be keeping them and continue to build a better program. I'm gonna be optimistic.

Legend
    Thanks
    Don't think local talent matters. Hasn't in the recent past, won't in the future. Winning is really all that matters.
    Fear the Trees!

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bent20 View Post
    Don't think local talent matters. Hasn't in the recent past, won't in the future. Winning is really all that matters.
    It gives a boost if you're winning. I think Neese and Washington will bring in a few fans. I also think it's most definitely important to get the best local talent, if they're good enough.
    Last edited by meistro; 01-13-2018 at 08:05 PM.

Role Player
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreStateofMind View Post
    Let me help you - itÂ’s a fun road trip destination and a fairly easy drive.
    I still wouldn't add them. They averaged 2,423 last season and that was with a winning team. Imagine how bad their attendance will be when they are no longer a winning program. I can't see them bringing very many fans to Arch Madness either. In the long run I think Belmont would be a major liability for the conference.

Ironically Eastern Illinois is by far my second favorite team and they happened to be playing Belmont tonight. (I attend all EIU home games assuming I don't work or ISU isn't playing at home.) After watching Belmont play tonight my guess is that they would be a middle of the pack MVC team. Obviously they like being the big fish in the big pond and can you blame them? If they don't make the NCAA tournament, they typically make the NIT; and the OVC is the best conference they could possibly be in geographically.

I also don't understand the "I wouldn't go to the games anymore if ISU was in the OVC" talk. I go to EIU games all the time and they are only my second favorite team. It's still D1 with D1 level talent. I'm not in anyway promoting going to the OVC, but if we moved I would still most definitely go the games. Really if we went OVC I would hope that it would be as a "football-only" member.

Thanks

Register to remove this advertisement

Interesting map from Google with all of the DI basketball teams. Valparaiso isn't listed in the MVC?? Other than that it is an easy way to get a geographical look at what makes sense. I agree with the Murray State sentiment that has been expressed. Obviously EIU would help keep our travel budget down!! There are several other schools that make sense from a geographical standpoint but not necessarily from a level of play standpoint.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SycfromBirth For This Useful Post: