Become a Supporting Member to remove this and all other advertisments! Click HERE for more info!
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 751 Posts

ISU flushes toilet on Hulman Convention Center idea

Register to remove this advertisement

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BankShot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Oh boy.

Well, I look forward to seeing the new artist renderings of the Plan B renovations.
    March on, you fighting Sycamores, Sycamores

Supporting Member SycamoreStateofMind's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,652 Times in 1,518 Posts
    Disgraceful way to go out Dan... Not good. Blame everyone else for not getting the job done and say good riddance in the process. Nicely played.
    Roll Timber!

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Haven't contacted anybody I know in city government about this..but if approved by the state I'm wondering if the county/city/or fundraising efforts by isu could kick in a few mil or whatever to get it around 40-45 million (could argue city still benefits from renovated HC). That would still be worth doing imo... You would only be talking about renovating the existing structure and that would shed millions in construction costs. It would still be free money from the state and beats the hell out of doing it alone.... HOWEVER, the big elephant in the room is will the state approve it and if Bradley knows they won't then as SSOM said this is a bullshit/cop out move...way above my pay grade at this point..just first reaction to it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Southgrad07 View Post
    Haven't contacted anybody I know in city government about this..but if approved by the state I'm wondering if the county/city/or fundraising efforts by isu could kick in a few mil or whatever to get it around 40-45 million (could argue city still benefits from renovated HC). That would still be worth doing imo... You would only be talking about renovating the existing structure and that would shed millions in construction costs. It would still be free money from the state and beats the hell out of doing it alone.... HOWEVER, the big elephant in the room is will the state approve it and if Bradley knows they won't then as SSOM said this is a bullshit/cop out move...way above my pay grade at this point..just first reaction to it.
    The thing about it is - this has ramifications outside of just the Hulman Center and convention center. Bradley will not be residing in Terre Haute after he leaves - I'm sure he wishes us nothing but the bust but sure he could care less if the convention center gets done or not. He washed his hands of it - that is what happened.

What he fails to realize (I'm sure he realized it but didn't care) in doing so he just created a divide between the Terre Haute Convention & Visitors Bureau (aka Greg Gibson & Dave Patterson). Why is that important in the grand scheme of things? For 1 Greg Gibson has more money and clout than anyone in this city and it aint even close. For two those guys have both done a lot for Indiana State - I could name several but for starters the LaVern Gibson Cross Country Course wouldn't exist without them (throw in John McNichols obviously).

You want to go down that road by placing this at the feet of the city? The county? The THCVB? Be my guest - but when things go wrong maybe you should look in the mirror. The city/county can only raise taxes so much. The THCVB can only raise hotel/food/beverage tax so much. This is an Indiana State alumni/donor/foundation etc. etc. etc. problem and until you fix it we will continue to have shit facilities. You had the chance to create something beautiful for the University and downtown Terre Haute to be proud of and you shit the bed. All because they couldn't reach out a single donor (or multiple for that matter) or business for naming rights?? You've got to be kidding me.

Anything short of what was proposed is a failure in my mind. I rest.
    Last edited by SycamoreStateofMind; 08-22-2017 at 06:59 PM.
    Roll Timber!

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreStateofMind View Post
    The thing about it is - this has ramifications outside of just the Hulman Center and convention center. Bradley will not be residing in Terre Haute after he leaves - I'm sure he wishes us nothing but the bust but sure he could care less if the convention center gets done or not. He washed his hands of it - that is what happened.

What he fails to realize in doing so he just created a divide between the Terre Haute Convention & Visitors Bureau (aka Greg Gibson & Dave Patterson). Why is that important in the grand scheme of things? For 1 Greg Gibson has more money and clout than anyone in this city and it aint even close. For two those guys have both done a lot for Indiana State - I could name several but for starters the LaVern Gibson Cross Country Course wouldn't exist without them (throw in John McNichols obviously).

You want to go down that road by placing this at the feet of the city? The county? The THCVB? Be my guest - but when things go wrong maybe you should look in the mirror. The city/county can only raise taxes so much. The THCVB can only raise hotel/food/beverage tax so much. This is an Indiana State alumni/donor/foundation etc. etc. etc. problem and until you fix it we will continue to have shit facilities. You had the chance to create something beautiful for the University and downtown Terre Haute to be proud of and you shit the bed. All because they couldn't reach out a single donor or business for naming rights?? You've got to be kidding me.

Anything short of what was proposed is a failure in my mind. I rest.
    Really agree with the Gibson angle.. not a dude you want to piss off...Like I said, first reaction as I was making dinner and didn't think that in depth about it lol.....

I think blame should be at the feet of ISU for not doing any kind of fundraising or exploring avenues of revenue to close the gap....that said, if the options are: this thing goes away period or try and get the state to fund the HC only and raise a few mil on the side??...then I'd take option 2 there...

The city has made their financial bed and did not give ISU a ton of revenue to work with...I just wish Bradley and company would of seen this project as an opportunity too good to pass up on for INDIANA STATE and made it happen regardless of the cities shortcomings. Long term ISU will pay far more than the city if nothing gets done.

Thanks
    Really agree with the Gibson angle.. not a dude you want to piss off...Like I said, first reaction as I was making dinner and didn't think that in depth about it lol.....

I think blame should be at the feet of ISU for not doing any kind of fundraising or exploring avenues of revenue to close the gap....that said, if the options are: this thing goes away period or try and get the state to fund the HC only and raise a few mil on the side??...then I'd take option 2 there...

The city has made their financial bed and did not give ISU a ton of revenue to work with...I just wish Bradley and company would of seen this project as an opportunity too good to pass up on for INDIANA STATE and made it happen regardless of the cities shortcomings. Long term ISU will pay far more than the city if nothing gets done.
    I know this doesn't apply to you at all but I'd say option 2 is great if your just a fan of Indiana State Basketball - then who gives a shit about the vitality of downtown Terre Haute.

This isn't an option 1 or option 2 scenario for me. It's called find a way to meet your original commitment and take advantage to state funding on the table and better our city for years to come. I'm not interested in scenario #2 because I'm a Terre Haute guy and I care about he city just as much or more than I care about Indiana State or that dumb ass Hulman Center.

Not getting it done is unacceptable. It's irresponsible to send out plans and gets peoples hopes up and then end this way. A couple Todd Golden tweets, a news article and a new President later and it's all done. Aint that the just the way shit goes.

Not good. Not good at all.
    Last edited by SycamoreStateofMind; 08-22-2017 at 07:34 PM.
    Roll Timber!

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreStateofMind View Post
    I know this doesn't apply to you at all but I'd say option 2 is great if your just a fan of Indiana State Basketball - then who gives a shit about the vitality of downtown Terre Haute.

This isn't an option 1 or option 2 scenario for me. It's called find a way to meet your original commitment and take advantage to state funding on the table and better our city for years to come. I'm not interested in scenario #2 because I'm a Terre Haute guy and I care about he city just as much or more than I care about Indiana State or that dumb ass Hulman Center.

Not getting it done is unacceptable. It's irresponsible to send out plans and gets peoples hopes up and then end this way. A couple Todd Golden tweets, a news article and a new President later and it's all done. Aint that the just the way shit goes.

Not good. Not good at all.
    Can't argue with that at all from a citizens perspective. I Want to see it done as much as anyone. But this city has mismanaged funds for years now and with the jail/high schools/police station projects I understand the few level headed people in local government being hesitant to go all in on this thing just to make it happen .. You better believe one way or another a new jail is coming (whether we draw up plans to or the state does it for us if we don't comply), these high schools are in horrible shape and can't last another decade, and we all know the pull police have in this town....With our current deficit I do get the city saying to ISU "you need to bridge the 13 million dollar gap"...which obviously Bradley and company wouldn't try to do...

City screwed up years ago getting us in this hole to where they can't help out and ISU is screwing up now by potentially letting this state money go and risk trying to upkeep this archaic building that will require millions in maintenance a year....just a fucked up situation all around

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Southgrad07 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Can't argue with that at all from a citizens perspective. I Want to see it done as much as anyone. But this city has mismanaged funds for years now and with the jail/high schools/police station projects I understand the few level headed people in local government being hesitant to go all in on this thing just to make it happen .. You better believe one way or another a new jail is coming (whether we draw up plans to or the state does it for us if we don't comply), these high schools are in horrible shape and can't last another decade, and we all know the pull police have in this town....With our current deficit I do get the city saying to ISU "you need to bridge the 13 million dollar gap"...which obviously Bradley and company wouldn't try to do...

City screwed up years ago getting us in this hole to where they can't help out and ISU is screwing up now by potentially letting this state money go and risk trying to upkeep this archaic building that will require millions in maintenance a year....just a fucked up situation all around
    Your last sentence said it all...

Agree with everything you said. My frustration is laying this at the feet of just the city or anyone else. Everyone is to blame including Dan Bradley and Indiana State - they just don't get a free pass. In my opinion they had more responsibility than anyone to make this happen. Perhaps because I believe they have more avenues to the funding than the other parties who are strapped for the reasons you named.
    Roll Timber!

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SycamoreStateofMind For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Register to remove this advertisement
    I'd like to say a couple of things. One, it was noted today in the press here and elsewhere, that a state audit of Terre Haute's finances were basically insolvent and that there basically was a “substantial doubt” about the city of Terre Haute’s “ability to continue as a going concern.” Bottom line, you are blaming Dr. Bradley and the University for going their own way? When I read this in the morning, I told myself that it won't take long for the shit to hit the fan with ISU. It didn't. What else would they do? Seriously. It's called jump off the fricking ship before it SINKS!

So they decided to go on their own and get this financed the way THEY wanted it to be, get some more funds without taxation, and take the 37.5mil the state has allocated and GET IT DONE. It is not ISU's fault that the THCVB couldn't do jack shit to get this venture moving. It is not ISU's fault, that no usable tax on the project was implemented, and in my opinion, Terre Haute flushed the project down the toilet, period, and their faces should be red as blood. No, it will not have Terre Haute's name on the building and ISU will once again, take control (hopefully), they'll find an alumni to get naming rights (they have been close to that), and let the university put their mark on a building that should have a lot of life in it and call it their own.

I'd say, if you don't like Bradley, you can blame him all you want, but the mayor of TH and the head of the THCVB should be both FIRED. Let the new president get it done the way we'd like and let Dr. B. retire with the grace he should be able to do. I'd say some of you should point your fingers a different direction.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bally #50 For This Useful Post: