Become a Supporting Member to remove this and all other advertisments! Click HERE for more info!
Page 1 of 63 1231151 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,331 Times in 814 Posts

Hulman Convention Center: Is the project dead?

Register to remove this advertisement
    See the first publicly released renderings of the proposed Hulman Center expansion/renovation. Looks nice enough. But what are they gonna do with Larry???

http://www.tribstar.com/news/local_n...57c474bed.html

I wish we could see what they have planned for the interior and arena space. I guess that will come when the state approves the project. Which, of course, means it will never come. Sigh...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hulman Center Aerial.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	1187Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hulman Center South.jpg 
Views:	332 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	1188Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hulman Center West.jpg 
Views:	1070 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	1189

Thanks
    Too bad they couldn't enlarge it enough to house a indoor football field like Univ. North Dakota!!

All problems would be taken care of!!
    Indiana State University

The real University of Indiana

A member of the Official "Old Farts Club"
    Past member of the "Mickey Mouse Club and Captin Jack"
    "They walk among us"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to nwi stater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,137 Times in 712 Posts
    As a non-resident and non-tax payer in city and state, I'm all for it! Start immediately!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokerZ View Post
    As a non-resident and non-tax payer in city and state, I'm all for it! Start immediately!
    Not only exciting, unlike many things on the drawing boards in TH in the past, it is very well thought out and well-designed. A tremendous use of utilized space. I know it is not going to happen anytime soon but good job folks.

Sixth Man
    Thanks
    It looks great and would be a nice addition to TH. My only question is why would an organization have a convention in TH when Indianapolis is an hour to the east? I suppose it might be less expensive or ISU would be able to host educational/academic conferences they can't currently accommodate.

Thanks
    I think you answered your own question. The cost would be a fraction of what an overnite would cost in Indy. Muncie apparently has been pretty successful in their convention center so I think it makes a ton of sense. It also might get some boost from the downtown TH hotels (i.e. Garden Inn, Candlewood) because it can only help them be utilized more.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,331 Times in 814 Posts
    Terre Haute can find its niche in the convention industry. It's not gonna get the FFA convention, where 18 bazillion young farmers come to town, but I think Terre Haute can realistically nab some mid-sized conventions and meetings. And if they follow the Indianapolis model, where everything is accessible within a short distance downtown, they can certainly carve out that niche for themselves.

I'm just waiting for the legislature to say "No way, Jose." Seems to be what they do...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to IndyTreeFan For This Useful Post:

Starter
    Thanks
    This came out a bit earlier than I expected. Positives: Aggressive timeline (budget to be approved this year?), right man working it, the "right man" seems fairly confident, ISU and Wabash Valley really need this, it can be profitable, I would also think Union Hospital might be excited about it.
    Negatives: People won't believe it can happen - and for good reason based on past experiences, profitability will be questioned - but really ROI can be there, people will question ability to utilize, people will say we can't fill Hulman now so why do anything (we can fill it - look at last year's Wichita State game), seating will likely be decreased a bit but potentially replaced with higher revenue suites - maybe that's a positive. All understandable concerns, really...
    This is good. Heck - if budget is approved this year - maybe construction could start late 2016? Football stadium design to start following Hulman approval? Just thinking... I bet Dr. Bradley wants the football stadium done before he leaves.
    Last edited by southernindianaballer; 02-12-2015 at 09:12 PM.

Starter
    Thanks

Register to remove this advertisement
    Really - what about Larry? Maybe they can build a better location with attractive landscaping I hope. Obvious Trivia: What is the name of blue bird used for the famous Twitter Logo? Larry the Bird... It's True! LOL There is probably an entire thread on here somewhere related to that fact. LOL

13. The Following User Says Thank You to southernindianaballer For This Useful Post: