Become a Supporting Member to remove this and all other advertisments! Click HERE for more info!
Page 3 of 63 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,253 Times in 789 Posts

Register to remove this advertisement
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyTreeFan View Post
    The plan moves forward. It stands at $75.8M right now. Wonder how much they'll pare that down before it's done?

http://www.tribstar.com/news/local_n...2bbf8c721.html
    Prettyman seemed fairly bullish on the Hulman Center renovations moving forward in the "Ask the AD" responses. I wonder if he knows something we don't or if he's just being optimistic?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,409 Times in 862 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokerZ View Post
    Prettyman seemed fairly bullish on the Hulman Center renovations moving forward in the "Ask the AD" responses. I wonder if he knows something we don't or if he's just being optimistic?
    I would be shocked if he didn't know something we don't about that project, but right now, everything is rosy because the project is in the House budget. I just wonder how long it'll be before the local communities balk at the $25M Terre Haute and Vigo County have to pony up. I wouldn't be at all surprised if we get a convention center added to the front, and nothing done on the inside.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to IndyTreeFan For This Useful Post:

MVP
    Thanks
    $25M is nothing a drop in the bucket. I would imagine the local politicians would be all over this.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by southernindianaballer View Post
    Not the place for this but:
    After Pearl Harbor Wooden joined the Navy, where he served four years and was promoted to Lieutenant. When his military duty was finished, he was hired to teach and coach at Indiana State Teachers' College (now known as Indiana State University). In his first season as coach, his Sycamores won the conference title and a berth in the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) tournament. Coach Wooden personally rejected the invitation, because African-American players were not permitted to compete. "Clarence Walker was on my team," Wooden said years later, "and, well, he wasn't one of the ones that got to play very much. But they wouldn't let him come, so I wouldn't go to the tournament."

The next season, Indiana State repeated as conference champions, and the tournament changed its rules and allowed black players. Wooden's benchwarmer, Walker, became the first African-American to play in the NAIA tournament. In two seasons at Indiana State, Wooden's teams went 47-14, and the next year he was offered the job at UCLA.
    http://www.nndb.com/people/312/000028228/
    Following this thread...

The Wooden Family donated several boxes / crates of ISU Memorabilia that Coach Wooden had in his possession; I would think our Archives folks would be finished ID'ing and cataloguing them. AND they should be included in a Coach Wooden display in the re-furbished Hulman Center. For instance, that school in west laf. has his Purdue letterman's sweater in the 'new' Mackey Arena.

Other Wooden tidbits:

Following the 1947 season; Coach Wooden applied & interviewed for the open MBB job at Vanderbilt, it went to another Indiana-native -- Bob Polk_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Polk.

During his tenure at ISU, a Midwestern school asked him to stay at ISU for the 1948-49 season and then join their staff as an ass't and THEN move into the HC job... he went to UCLA. After he'd been at UCLA for 1-3 years, he shook hands on replacing Mel Taube... UCLA held him to his contract AND his wife begged him to stay at UCLA for the weather (and their friends). He agreed.

AND he ONLY accepted the UCLA job because Minnesota COULDN"T offer him their job (to which he applied/interviewed) because a snow storm knocked out their phones -- by the time they phones were working, he had accepted the UCLA job.

AND Coach Wooden said in a number of interviews, that had WWII NOT occurred, he would have STAYED at South Bend Central. He and the family loved their life in South Bend BUT like millions of other Americans, WWII dramatically changed their lives. He went to the Navy and the rest is history.

KEEP in mind, that AFTER WWII was over, he returned to South Bend and the School Board was going fire his successor and give the job back to Wooden. He refused to accept it under those circumstances; he contacted his old HS coach, Glenn M. Curtis (our MBB coach from 1938-46), Curtis was leaving for the Detroit Falcons job, Curtis vouched for him to Dr. Tirey and the rest is history
    Be LOYAL and TRUE! WEAR ROYAL BLUE!!! don't SLACK by wearing BLACK!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 4Q_iu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    So now the state is saying that terre haute has to come up with $25M for it move forward?
    NCAA: 1979, 2000, 2001, 2011------MVC XC Champs: 1996, 1998, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2014

NIT: 1977, 1978, 2013, 2014--------MVC Indoor Champs: 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015

Final Four: 1979----------------------MVC Outdoor Champs: 1988, 1990, 1993, 1997, 2001, 2006, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014

1,000 point members: 39

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,366 Times in 804 Posts
    This needs to happen.. If the state is willing to pony up 50+million then it's on Isu and Terre haute to do the rest. The building would get a much needed facelift that would fit in with all the construction going on downtown.

Starter
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Q_iu View Post
    Following this thread...

The Wooden Family donated several boxes / crates of ISU Memorabilia that Coach Wooden had in his possession; I would think our Archives folks would be finished ID'ing and cataloguing them. AND they should be included in a Coach Wooden display in the re-furbished Hulman Center. For instance, that school in west laf. has his Purdue letterman's sweater in the 'new' Mackey Arena.

Other Wooden tidbits:

Following the 1947 season; Coach Wooden applied & interviewed for the open MBB job at Vanderbilt, it went to another Indiana-native -- Bob Polk_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Polk.

During his tenure at ISU, a Midwestern school asked him to stay at ISU for the 1948-49 season and then join their staff as an ass't and THEN move into the HC job... he went to UCLA. After he'd been at UCLA for 1-3 years, he shook hands on replacing Mel Taube... UCLA held him to his contract AND his wife begged him to stay at UCLA for the weather (and their friends). He agreed.

AND he ONLY accepted the UCLA job because Minnesota COULDN"T offer him their job (to which he applied/interviewed) because a snow storm knocked out their phones -- by the time they phones were working, he had accepted the UCLA job.

AND Coach Wooden said in a number of interviews, that had WWII NOT occurred, he would have STAYED at South Bend Central. He and the family loved their life in South Bend BUT like millions of other Americans, WWII dramatically changed their lives. He went to the Navy and the rest is history.

KEEP in mind, that AFTER WWII was over, he returned to South Bend and the School Board was going fire his successor and give the job back to Wooden. He refused to accept it under those circumstances; he contacted his old HS coach, Glenn M. Curtis (our MBB coach from 1938-46), Curtis was leaving for the Detroit Falcons job, Curtis vouched for him to Dr. Tirey and the rest is history
    You know... Unless I am mistaken.... He developed his Pyramid of Success while in graduate school at ISU.

Starter
    Thanks
    Looks to be moving forward!!! Good news!!! wow - this is Big Time good news!!! The rate of growth and improvements that continue to be made at ISU is impressive - not to mention enrollment, educational improvements and national recognition... frankly, I'm a bit stunned... I mean really. What university in this great state is growing academically, etc. more than ISU? The things happening downtown are wonderful... great food, spirits, and more on the way! Downtown vendors are celebrating with a cold one tonight. TH is seeing things the right way now.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to southernindianaballer For This Useful Post:

Starter
    Thanks
    I think the Ford Center in Evansville may have been mentioned on here once or twice... Just an FYI... The naming rights for that facility was approximately 4.2 million bucks - really not that big of deal in the grand scheme for 10 years... It is NOT the Ford Motor Company - it is several "Tri-State" Ford dealers who together came up with the 4.2 million. I assume they thought the marketing would increase their dealership sales.
    Just an fyi is all.

Thanks

Register to remove this advertisement
    The Kroger Hulman Center.
    NO EXCUSES