Become a Supporting Member to remove this and all other advertisments! Click HERE for more info!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Register to remove this advertisement
    it doesnt say room and board stipend. it says "room, board, tuition, a meal plan, textbooks AS WELL AS YOUR COST OF LIVING that will be given through a stipend". not that it clarifies the question here.

i would note that all the schools in the MVFC that won playoff games this year are paying FCOA.

Role Player
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by niklz62 View Post
    i didnt answer because I didnt know but I googled the phrase to see if it was the same thing as fcoa and it seems to be.
    I think the interpretation is an Eric Dickerson Trans Am/ SMU lol ........great 30 on 30 Pony express

3. The Following User Says Thank You to #33 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoMinuteDrill View Post
    In the case of ISU after your freshmen year you are encouraged/expected to move out of the dorms into apartments. During the freshmen year on a full scholarship the tuition, fees and dorm is covered along with some book money and no stipend is paid. Any academic awards or student aid is deducted from amount Athletic department is charged for scholarship. After you move from the dorm to apartments the athlete receives 8 payments of $700 starting September 1 and going through April 1. No stipend is paid during May - August. Usually classes go for 10-14 days in May and August when no payment is made but apartment rent is expected. Though it is not mandatory (just HIGHLY suggested by coaches) players must remain over summer at there own cost. Unless it changed this year ISU does not offer FCOA and has one of the lowest stipends in MVFC - part of this is because TH has a lower cost of living.

I'm not sure all the extra spending money you refer too actually exists. Stipend pmts 8x$700=5,600, Rent $350x12=$4200 + $75 utilities & internet x12 =$900. So living takes up $5100 of the $5600 food has not been included yet.

My understanding is Basketball has a higher per player stipend and FCOA. I was told (though I have never officially confirmed it) Lansing gave up a funded scholarship for this.

In reviewing Terre Haute rentals, i see prices ranging from $525 for a house to $1,300 for a 4-BR apartment. I know of few if any landlords who will give a college kid a "school year" lease (Aug-May)... Are your prices for one person? Per person based on a 4-6 student per domicile ratio? Your utilities bill... per person or for dwelling?

You've also (conveniently?) omitted the Federal Student Grant / Loan that kids are can obtain - even kids on "full ride" Div I scholies.

I believe there are more discretionary $$ than you mention
    Be LOYAL and TRUE! WEAR ROYAL BLUE!!! don't SLACK by wearing BLACK!

Sixth Man
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Q_iu View Post
    In reviewing Terre Haute rentals, i see prices ranging from $525 for a house to $1,300 for a 4-BR apartment. I know of few if any landlords who will give a college kid a "school year" lease (Aug-May)... Are your prices for one person? Per person based on a 4-6 student per domicile ratio? Your utilities bill... per person or for dwelling?

You've also (conveniently?) omitted the Federal Student Grant / Loan that kids are can obtain - even kids on "full ride" Div I scholies.

I believe there are more discretionary $$ than you mention
    Here is what it was based on: 2 bedroom apartment at Sycamore Place was $700 per month, 12 month lease, ($350 per person). No natural gas, so heat and air conditioning is electric. I included basic cable TV, internet and electric. The electric bill had a range as Jan - Mar and June - Sep were higher because of more demand. Overall, the bills averaged $150 per month for apartment, ($75 per person), 12 months.

I did indeed mention above about academic and student aid (government funds). I only have direct knowledge of the academic grants, and I do know they are applied toward tuition and that reduces the amount the athletic dept is charged back internally. I assumed the same was true for student aid (government money) since every year the coaches spent time making sure each athlete updated there forms and applied for all possible grant money. Since we didn't qualify for government money I can't speak to certainty on this. I can tell you the coaches pushed pretty hard on this so I assumed it impacted the overall charge back similar to academic.

Thanks

Register to remove this advertisement
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoMinuteDrill View Post
    Here is what it was based on: 2 bedroom apartment at Sycamore Place was $700 per month, 12 month lease, ($350 per person). No natural gas, so heat and air conditioning is electric. I included basic cable TV, internet and electric. The electric bill had a range as Jan - Mar and June - Sep were higher because of more demand. Overall, the bills averaged $150 per month for apartment, ($75 per person), 12 months.

I did indeed mention above about academic and student aid (government funds). I only have direct knowledge of the academic grants, and I do know they are applied toward tuition and that reduces the amount the athletic dept is charged back internally. I assumed the same was true for student aid (government money) since every year the coaches spent time making sure each athlete updated there forms and applied for all possible grant money. Since we didn't qualify for government money I can't speak to certainty on this. I can tell you the coaches pushed pretty hard on this so I assumed it impacted the overall charge back similar to academic.

Thanks for the clarifications.

As I understand it, every school does the Pell Grants, Perkins Loans, etc differently. Some schools (did) hand over the $$$ to the kid to "pay their bills," other schools keep the $$ and use it to offset the kids bills with the University alone.

I'm sure there are Div I athletes at State, other programs that live more than 2-per dwelling; again, many kids at programs across the country choose to live in multi-person situations to stretch their $$$ further. I don't believe scholie kids at State are "getting rich" but I firmly believe that they and their NCAA peers aren't as "broke" as they proclaim.
    Be LOYAL and TRUE! WEAR ROYAL BLUE!!! don't SLACK by wearing BLACK!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 4Q_iu For This Useful Post: