Become a Supporting Member to remove this and all other advertisments! Click HERE for more info!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks

Register to remove this advertisement
    Quote Originally Posted by BankShot View Post
    The trend over the years has inwardly perverted the officiating, likely the byproduct of "politics" determining one's advancement up the officiating ladder. Hell, back in 60's & 70's, an official was taught to blow the whistle on a call ONE TIME. Now you see some of these clowns "toot a song" after the call. Yes, on occasion, an official will need to SELL his call...but this shouldn't be the norm. I'd like to see the REQUIREMENT of raising your arm AFTER a foul is committed RESTORED to the game, as this simple admission of "guilt" reflects humility, while also forcing the player to CONTROL his emotions (v. "showboating" to the bench or crowd). But this was "back in the dayz" when ORGANIZED SPORT was an instrument in teaching values in living. Today? You describe the "game"...which has waywardly lost a major aspect of its purpose.
    When I reffed basketball (poorly I might add) I used to have multiple short burst whistles. I got that from football. Its a habit that is hard to break

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 820 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by niklz62 View Post
    When I reffed basketball (poorly I might add) I used to have multiple short burst whistles. I got that from football. Its a habit that is hard to break
    Excellent point, and given that many officials (especially in HS) officiate multiple sports, this might explain why the change over the years. I only officiated BB & BA, thus not having the transfer "interference" on the whistle. I might add that as the level of PHYSICAL PLAY has increased, many officials will use the "multi-tweet" as a tool of "player separation" to dissolve the heat. There were times where I might blow the whistle harder to achieve the same end, but I never "multi-tweeted." Bill Malloy, former ISU Track Coach & NCAA Official (who taught my ISU "Officiating Class" in '70) would've shit a brick! Terre Haute had three (3) quality NCAA Basketball Officials during my era: Malloy, Chuck Miles (Trent's Dad) and Charlie Fouty.
    Last edited by BankShot; 01-10-2018 at 10:57 AM.

Thanks
    Excellent point, and given that many officials (especially in HS) officiate multiple sports, this might explain why the change over the years. I only officiated BB & BA, thus not having the transfer "interference" on the whistle. I might add that as the level of PHYSICAL PLAY has increased, many officials will use the "multi-tweet" as a tool of "player separation" to dissolve the heat. There were times where I might blow the whistle harder to achieve the same end, but I never "multi-tweeted." Bill Malloy, former ISU Track Coach & NCAA Official (who taught my ISU "Officiating Class" in '70) would've shit a brick! Terre Haute had three (3) quality NCAA Basketball Officials during my era: Malloy, Chuck Miles (Trent's Dad) and Charlie Fouty.
    I dont know if they had those classes in the 90s, I wish I would have started right after I got done playing. An ISU student/now alum I knew back then worked the national championship game monday night. he said he reffed HS FB and wanted to get into big time FB. I was like "is that a thing?" There is a buttload of politicking though. The Charleston IL area had a bunch of D1 officials and an NFL guy. I think it has to do with one guy moving up then a bunch of guys having an "IN".

4. The Following User Says Thank You to niklz62 For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 820 Posts
    Who was the ISU Alum/NCAA Final Game FB Official? That's pretty damn neat & noteworthy in the ISU Alumni Magazine!

Thanks
    Who was the ISU Alum/NCAA Final Game FB Official? That's pretty damn neat & noteworthy in the ISU Alumni Magazine!
    Grady Smith. probably graduated around 97-98. i think we were the same age.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to niklz62 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The trend over the years has inwardly perverted the officiating, likely the byproduct of "politics" determining one's advancement up the officiating ladder. Hell, back in 60's & 70's, an official was taught to blow the whistle on a call ONE TIME. Now you see some of these clowns "toot a song" after the call. Yes, on occasion, an official will need to SELL his call...but this shouldn't be the norm. I'd like to see the REQUIREMENT of raising your arm AFTER a foul is committed RESTORED to the game, as this simple admission of "guilt" reflects humility, while also forcing the player to CONTROL his emotions (v. "showboating" to the bench or crowd). But this was "back in the dayz" when ORGANIZED SPORT was an instrument in teaching values in living. Today? You describe the "game"...which has waywardly lost a major aspect of its purpose.
    i forgot to agree with you, good stuff!

Starter
    Thanks
    I'd take it one step further. This is Distinguished Alumni Award territory--especially given the occasional stretch ISU has had to make some years on who they call "distinguished." Officiating the National Championship game is far more impressive than some of the pedestrian recipients I've seen over the years.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hooper For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,973 Times in 2,984 Posts

Register to remove this advertisement
    Someone is a little pissed about losing Big Dance paychecks. It's called karma, Ted.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...caa-tournament
    No ads. Name in gold. Enhanced features. Become a Supporting Member for only $15 today!