Become a Supporting Member to remove this and all other advertisments! Click HERE for more info!
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,973 Times in 2,984 Posts

[January 6, 2018] Indiana State (7-8) vs Drake (9-7)

Register to remove this advertisement
    vs.

Indiana State Sycamores (7-8, 2-1 MVC) vs. Drake Bulldogs (9-7, 3-0 MVC)

Hulman Center - Terre Haute, Indiana
    Saturday, January 6th
    2:00 PM EST Tip
    No ads. Name in gold. Enhanced features. Become a Supporting Member for only $15 today!

Thanks
    Game Day. Tomorrow.
    March on, you fighting Sycamores, Sycamores

Thanks
    Thanked 1,527 Times in 907 Posts
    Going to be a much tougher game than i would have guessed two months ago. Drake is rolling right now. For all the talk of catching Loyola at a good time, we are getting Drake at a bad time. They are hot and their coach gets my (early) vote for coach of the year in the Valley.

Hopefully we bring our A game on Saturday and keep our momentum going.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,095 Times in 683 Posts
    This one will be interesting. I honestly don't know what to think of Drake, and that's mainly because I've only watched maybe 5 minutes of total Drake games so far this year. I haven't paid any attention to them because, well, I didn't think we needed to pay any attention to them. Kudos to their new coach and a veteran team for turning things around so quickly.

How good Drake is largely depends on how good you think the teams they beat are. They've played 3 games: home versus Bradley, @ SIU and home versus Illinois State. They scratched and clawed their way to victory in their opener against Bradley, winning by 2. They then went on the road and beat SIU by 3 - a team that has injuries all over their squad and, despite their own 2-1 start to conference play, do not look very good. Drake then crushed Illinois State at home on Wednesday. Against Illinois State, Drake shot 50% from three and made 15 of them. If you shoot that well from three and make that many, you're almost impossible to beat (see: Indiana State @ Indiana).

They're definitely a veteran team with a major player and leader in Reed Timmer. Nick McGlynn is also a very nice all around player in the frontcourt for them, which it seems it's been forever since they've had a frontcourt player to worry about. Also, veteran teams usually find ways to win close games. They shot the ball out of their minds against Illinois State, and as a veteran team didn't allow them any breathing room to come back in that game.

Drake currently leads the Valley in scoring offense, but they're next to last in scoring defense. They're not a great rebounding team, they don't snatch a bunch of steals, and they have no rim protectors. They simply outscore their opponents, share the basketball very well (#1 in assists in the MVC) and they don't turn the ball over (#1 in A/TO and #2 in TO margin). While they struggle to match up defensively, they're elite offensively.

I guess after saying all of that...I still think this is a game we can (and dare I say, should?) win. We match up with them athletically very well, and if we defend like we have so far in conference play we should be in a good position to protect our home court.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BrokerZ For This Useful Post:

Supporting Member SycamoreStateofMind's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,011 Times in 1,752 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluethunder View Post
    Going to be a much tougher game than i would have guessed two months ago. Drake is rolling right now. For all the talk of catching Loyola at a good time, we are getting Drake at a bad time. They are hot and their coach gets my (early) vote for coach of the year in the Valley.

Hopefully we bring our A game on Saturday and keep our momentum going.
    What do mean?! In the spirit of competition this is the perfect time to get Drake. If you canít get up to play your best game of the year vs. 3-0 Drake, Conference leading, at home and coming off our biggest win of the season then you canít get up for nuthin. This is the perfect time to get Drake - we get a chance to be taken serious again. Iím glad Drake is hot - if we canít beat them at home given all the things above then we donít belong anyway.
    Roll Timber!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreStateofMind View Post
    What do mean?! In the spirit of competition this is the perfect time to get Drake. If you can’t get up to play your best game of the year vs. 3-0 Drake, Conference leading, at home and coming off our biggest win of the season then you can’t get up for nuthin. This is the perfect time to get Drake - we get a chance to be taken serious again. I’m glad Drake is hot - if we can’t beat them at home given all the things above then we don’t belong anyway.
    Right? Lock down Reed. Force someone else to beat you. If you can't come out and play hyped, feel free to turn in your scholarship, pack your backs and find another place to lace 'em up.
    No ads. Name in gold. Enhanced features. Become a Supporting Member for only $15 today!

Thanks

Indiana State Returns Home To Face Drake Saturday Afternoon

Indiana State Basketball returns home in MVC play on Saturday, January 6 when they host the Drake Bulldogs. Tip-off is set for 2:00 p.m. (ET) from Hulman Center and will be televised live on The Valley On ESPN3. The game will also be broadcast on WIBQ 97.9 FM as well as streamed (audio) on GoSycamores.com. Indiana State is 7-8, 2-1 MVC heading into a two-game home stand and are led by Jordan Barnes who averages 16.7 points per game, which is fifth-best in the league. Drake is a perfect 3-0 to start Valley play and are 9-7 on the season. Reed Timmer leads the league with a 19.4 ppg average.

More...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,527 Times in 907 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Svoboda View Post
    Right? Lock down Reed. Force someone else to beat you. If you can't come out and play hyped, feel free to turn in your scholarship, pack your backs and find another place to lace 'em up.
    And how many times have we said something to this affect about a game and then come out and laid an egg?

Effort SHOULD be there every night, but over the course of the season every team has ups and downs, and sometimes you catch a team on a downturn, and sometimes you catch teams when they are hot.

Over the course of the season it usually balances out, but right now Drake is playing well and will be a tough matchup. Just really hope a decent, lively crowd shows up. If I knew the crowd would be decent I would feel better about this game.
    Last edited by Bluethunder; 01-05-2018 at 10:59 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluethunder View Post
    And how many times have we said something to this affect about a game and then come out and laid an egg?
    Way too often.

Only saving grace is I don't think they've done it in Valley play yet. Every game has been effort and inspired play. Fewer mistakes in the Illinois State game and we pull that one off. I expect the same effort against Drake.

Thanks

Register to remove this advertisement
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Svoboda View Post
    You must not have watched the Minnesota game, that Drake should have won if it wasn't for the Gopher Homer Effect.

In that game, Reed Timmer had ONE FIELD GOAL. Repeat. RT had ONE FIELD GOAL.

Consequently, even if we LOCK DOWN TIMMER like Minnesota did, Drake has plenty of other assests to beat us.

With that said, let's hope GL has a plan and our guys recognize that they have their hands full today defending Home Court!

Go Trees!
    a.k.a. The Blue MOSQUITO