Become a Supporting Member to remove this and all other advertisments! Click HERE for more info!

Thread: Murphy's Tip-In

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 820 Posts

Murphy's Tip-In

Register to remove this advertisement
    This is directed to those of you that have personally seen an ISU practice session. What tip-in drills have you seen our BIG MEN practice ?

I brought this issue up on Syc Pride a few years ago, personally noting that ISU players near the basket were foregoing "tip play" in favor of gaining possession amidst heavy traffic and returning to the floor. As we've seen in Murphy's case (and others), this often results in a TO, largely associated w/ a shuffling the feet while preparing for a subsequent lay-in.

Last edited by BankShot; 01-11-2018 at 02:48 PM.

Thanks
    Lame, I thought this was gonna be a youtube video of Murphy's Tip In. Click Bait.
    March on, you fighting Sycamores, Sycamores

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TreeTop For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks
    Lame? You're likely TOO YOUNG to have ever seen this as a prevalent move on the offensive boards. How many tip-ins do you see ISU get in a season? Or maybe you just think that a "tip-in" is an aberration of the college game...a skill that is no longer used or desired? Murphy showed last night that there's still a place for it, didn't he? My big question...why isn't it used MORE OFTEN at the mid-major level?

I see that you joined the Forum in '07, so you should be privy to the prior discussion.
    Last edited by BankShot; 01-11-2018 at 03:06 PM.

Thanks
    I'm simply saying that the title of your thread insinuates that there will be a video of Murphy's tip in from last night.
    March on, you fighting Sycamores, Sycamores

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TreeTop View Post
    I'm simply saying that the title of your thread insinuates that there will be a video of Murphy's tip in from last night.
    http://www.wthitv.com/content/video/468724433.html

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BankShot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,091 Times in 679 Posts
    I used to try the tip drill a lot in college. I got lucky every once in a while...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BrokerZ For This Useful Post:

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 606 Posts
    Looks to me like Murphy is finally putting it all together for his last conference season, kind of like Myles Walker did his senior season. Playing hard, physical, going up strong. All the things we have have wanted him to do for a while. If he can keep it up, we'll be a team to reckon with the rest of the year.

Banned
    Thanks

Register to remove this advertisement
    Re: my original post and the "value" of a tip-in, I was looking at the final ISU MVC game margins this season. Throw out the 9 pt Valpo win, and the other 4 games have a 3 pt. final score margin, which goes with the purported MVC balance others have alluded to. It also raises the overall value and impact of the "tip-in" as a viable BIG MAN tool, given the propensity of officials to often attach a FOUL on the play (which usually occurs in high traffic), creating a situation for the "traditional" 3-pt play.