Become a Supporting Member to remove this and all other advertisments! Click HERE for more info!
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Supporting Member
    Thanks

SSOM: QUESTION ABOUT PRACTICE

Register to remove this advertisement
    You said you went to practice recently. Did you get any impressions of Neese or Williams?

Thanks

Supporting Member SycamoreStateofMind's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,034 Times in 1,767 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sycamorebacker View Post
    You said you went to practice recently. Did you get any impressions of Neese or Williams?

Thanks
    Williams wasnít at practice & I didnít think to ask about him.

Neese looked fantastic. It was prior to the Drake game and he was on the scout team playing the role of Reed Timmer - which suits him well with his unlimited range. He didnít seem effected too much by the physicality of the play - he made a couple long 3ís and didnít miss a few others by much! I was pretty impressed - thought it was the best Iíve seen him look. Going to be pretty guard oriented but Iíd say next season will look something like this:

PG Barnes / TBD
    SG Neese / Williams
    SF Key / Hughes
    PF Thomas / Kessinger
    C Rickman / TBD

Something like that - not a particularly big lineup but pretty skilled and athletic. Per usual I wouldnít really hold me to these projections too seriously as we still have a few holes to fill.
    Roll Timber!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SycamoreStateofMind For This Useful Post:

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreStateofMind View Post
    Williams wasn’t at practice & I didn’t think to ask about him.

Neese looked fantastic. It was prior to the Drake game and he was on the scout team playing the role of Reed Timmer - which suits him well with his unlimited range. He didn’t seem effected too much by the physicality of the play - he made a couple long 3’s and didn’t miss a few others by much! I was pretty impressed - thought it was the best I’ve seen him look. Going to be pretty guard oriented but I’d say next season will look something like this:

PG Barnes / TBD
    SG Neese / Williams
    SF Key / Hughes
    PF Thomas / Kessinger
    C Rickman / TBD

Something like that - not a particularly big lineup but pretty skilled and athletic. Per usual I wouldn’t really hold me to these projections too seriously as we still have a few holes to fill.
    Thanks. If Neese can shoot like Barnes -- Wow! Not wanting to get into a long discussion on this, but it will be hard to keep Hughes out of the starting lineup. I think Key will probably start at SG and backup at point. PF is a big ?. But that's just my thoughts.
    I've been impressed about how the FR are doing on D. Have you noticed that Key is 4th in scoring and 3rd in assists and steals?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sycamorebacker For This Useful Post:

Thanks

SSOM: QUESTION ABOUT PRACTICE

Quote Originally Posted by sycamorebacker View Post
    Thanks. If Neese can shoot like Barnes -- Wow! Not wanting to get into a long discussion on this, but it will be hard to keep Hughes out of the starting lineup. I think Key will probably start at SG and backup at point. PF is a big ?. But that's just my thoughts.
    I've been impressed about how the FR are doing on D. Have you noticed that Key is 4th in scoring and 3rd in assists and steals?
    We will just agree to disagree. Iíve loved Hughes energy and been happy with his development - if he has a good summer he could definitely start. He still has some things to work on - he finally shot the ball last game with some confidence that has to continue to improve. Heís also got to get better on D (I know he takes charges well).
    Both he and Key are off to a great start but need to continue to improve. From a development standpoint I still think Key is further ahead at this point and has a little more diversity to his game. I said a few games ago - Hughes is excellent when heís got some space to work with and heís headed down hill.

Neese has more range than anyone Iíve ever seen play at ISU - he can shoot it from any place on the floor and look natural doing so.
    Last edited by SycamoreStateofMind; 01-12-2018 at 08:05 PM.
    Roll Timber!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SycamoreStateofMind For This Useful Post:

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I'm high on both the FR, but what I really like about Hughes is his versatility as a SF. He needs to rebound more, but he has the ability to have a nice all-around game.

We need a team that has more than good guards.
    Last edited by sycamorebacker; 01-12-2018 at 08:45 PM.

All-Conference
    Thanks
    We will just agree to disagree. I’ve loved Hughes energy and been happy with his development - if he has a good summer he could definitely start. He still has some things to work on - he finally shot the ball last game with some confidence that has to continue to improve. He’s also got to get better on D (I know he takes charges well).
    Both he and Key are off to a great start but need to continue to improve. From a development standpoint I still think Key is further ahead at this point and has a little more diversity to his game. I said a few games ago - Hughes is excellent when he’s got some space to work with and he’s headed down hill.

Neese has more range than anyone I’ve ever seen play at ISU - he can shoot it from any place on the floor and look natural doing so.
    From the practice I went to I thought Neese gave JB a run for his money for best player on the court. They will be a scary backcourt from deep but Key and Hughes development will be big on the wings.

Obviously still need one more big and with what has become an expectation is someone from the current underclassman won’t be back. Would be lucky if we could get another Qiydar type.

Thanks
    Neese has more range than anyone I’ve ever seen play at ISU - he can shoot it from any place on the floor and look natural doing so.
    More than 'Rico Stinson?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SycfromBirth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SycfromBirth View Post
    More than 'Rico Stinson?
    Man thatís a good question - Rico could bomb! It all comes down to what he has the confidence to shoot vs. what Lansing lets him get away with shooting. Because you donít get that unlimited green light that he had in HS but you gotta give him a pretty long leash because he will chuck some ill advised 3ís from time to time.
    Roll Timber!

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,241 Times in 727 Posts
    Man thatís a good question - Rico could bomb! It all comes down to what he has the confidence to shoot vs. what Lansing lets him get away with shooting. Because you donít get that unlimited green light that he had in HS but you gotta give him a pretty long leash because he will chuck some ill advised 3ís from time to time.
    Let's hope Neese doesn't have some of the other traits Rico had.. particularly off the floor lol...but interesting dynamic you bring up. I actually think Lansing is going to let him gun it for the most part. If Barnes is any indication he realizes dude can bomb it and pretty well lets it go. Now he is going to have to pick his spots like Barnes, but Neese ain't getting pulled for 1-2 quick triples a game.
    Last edited by Southgrad07; 01-13-2018 at 05:37 PM.

Thanks

Register to remove this advertisement
    Howie Johnson could shoot from anywhere - didn't get to play NEARLY enough...and there's that Larry guy. Can Neese shoot better than that? If he can, Hulman Center will be full again...Seriously, though, next season is really looking good for ISU.