Become a Supporting Member to remove this and all other advertisments! Click HERE for more info!
Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,034 Times in 3,030 Posts

[January 17, 2018] Indiana State (8-10) at Evansville (12-7)

Register to remove this advertisement
    vs.

Indiana State Sycamores (8-10, 3-3 MVC) vs. Evansville Purple Aces (12-7, 2-4 MVC)

Ford Center - Evansville, IN
    Wednesday, January 17th
    8:00 PM EST Tip
    No ads. Name in gold. Enhanced features. Become a Supporting Member for only $15 today!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,034 Times in 3,030 Posts
    Shooting 43.7% from 3 as a team and 47% from the floor. If I see one kid over helping, I'm going to screeeeeeeeam! D up like we have in the last several and this is a nice win coming back to the Haute for the Illinois State return game on Saturday.
    No ads. Name in gold. Enhanced features. Become a Supporting Member for only $15 today!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 920 Posts
    When I have watched them (and I admit it has been limited) it has been Smith and Taylor, and then everyone else.

Those two guys score the most, shoot the most, and when they are on Eville is tough. When they are off, Eville really struggles to score.

Really need Davis back in this one to guard Taylor. If Q plays and is at full strength, I like our chances.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,028 Times in 609 Posts
    Looks like me and a couple guys are going down. Anybody else making the trip?

Thanks
    It's 36 hours-ish from Tip-Off in Evansville and I have to wonder...

Once we get over the .500 hump in this conference, can we just stay there?
    Can we even get back over the .500 hump tomorrow?
    Will Key follow-up last game's performance with another one like it?
    Will Barnes get out of this minor shooting slump? And I do mean minor.
    Will Hughes lead the team in assists for the second game in a row?
    Will Scott shoot the ball more than six times?
    Will Davis play?
    Will Devin play?
    Will Deady play, if the aforementioned two play?
    Will Evansville's two dominant scorers have great games or lousy games?
    And is their performance that which will most likely determine the outcome?
    Will the Sycamore freshman and newcomers be able to handle the Aces ball screens upon ball screens?
    Will the Sycamore faithful travel well and make some noise in the Ford Center?
    Could this be the first win of an actual winning streak for us? (Winning Streak, defined by at least three games)
    What's your favorite thing about the city of Evansville?
    March on, you fighting Sycamores, Sycamores

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,240 Times in 727 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluethunder View Post
    When I have watched them (and I admit it has been limited) it has been Smith and Taylor, and then everyone else.

Those two guys score the most, shoot the most, and when they are on Eville is tough. When they are off, Eville really struggles to score.

Really need Davis back in this one to guard Taylor. If Q plays and is at full strength, I like our chances.
    Concur with all of that..The JC garbage bin duo of KJ Riley and Dainius Chatkevicius have been surprisingly no flat out jaw dropping solid as role guys..I mean they both had no offers and crap JC stats and most importantly were not in the Aces program until the end of June..meaning nobody wanted them!.. Riley is a really good hard nosed defender and slasher while Dainius plays big and converts looks he should, not exactly world breaking stuff but far better than I or hell even their own fans expected. They have gotten more out of those two than we have out of Thomas..Let that soak in.

As for the game Davis being back is a monster thing and he should be back baring a setback. He is probably the one tasked with chasing Taylor around the million screens they run and the only one experienced enough to probably have success right now (Scott is but is too small and gambles too often). Hughes and Key will get their first baptism into Marty ball..It is not a hard thing to stop once you have experience and are long/athletic enough to disrupt their flow.. Bounce back game from Murphy, Scott gets hot and Key pours in 12-15 points- Sycs 71 Aces 69

Thanks
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 690 Posts
    A couple of thoughts/notes on UE:

1. UE played a dogshit non-conference schedule that padded a lot of their statistics. They're not really a 44% 3PT shooting team. In conference games they're shooting 33%, AND...they're allowing their opponents to shoot 40% from three. They also don't shoot that many threes (about 13 per game). They're still the same old ball-screen offense with curl mid-range jumpers everywhere.

2. Their offensive efficiency ranks 9th out of 10 Valley teams with an effective FG% just over 50% and a turnover % actually worse than us. Basically, we're better than them in almost every offensive way possible...except for free throws where we suck and UE is good.

3. Where UE makes up for their offensive deficiencies is on the defensive end and on the boards. They're 3rd in the conference in defensive efficiency, 1st in TO% and STL%. We're still right up there with UE in most defensive statistical categories, though, so they don't have a huge advantage.

4. I mentioned as much in the Around the Valley thread, but this is a very important game for us. Chances are our record at the end of the year will be very similar, if not the same, to UE. KenPom projects both of our conference records to be 8-10 by season's end. Getting a road win and setting us up for the chance at a season sweep and the tie breaker could be huge.

In short, this is a team we should beat...emphasis on should. The fact that this is a road game in conference and we tend to play ALL teams close, I expect this one to go down to the wire yet again. Good Guys 67 - Bad Guys 63.

Supporting Member SycamoreStateofMind's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,028 Times in 1,763 Posts
    Things can change pretty quickly for you in Valley play. These next 2 games for both ISU and Evansville are winnable games. Evansville gets us at home then travels to Bradley. We go on the road to Evansville and then have ILState at home. If you ask me, they have a better chance at winning both of those games than we do. In other words, we must play 40 minutes with a certain sense of urgency and you've got to win the first game before you can think about winning the next game. If either of these teams are able to go 2-0 this week it will go a long way toward avoiding Thursday.

As for this game - if you get in the shorts of Riley and Smith they will turn the ball over with the best of them. I think we've got to make those guys uncomfortable, generate some turnovers and get out and run the floor a little bit.
    Last edited by SycamoreStateofMind; 01-16-2018 at 11:23 AM.
    Roll Timber!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SycamoreStateofMind For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 690 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreStateofMind View Post
    Things can change pretty quickly for you in Valley play. These next 2 games for both ISU and Evansville are winnable games. Evansville gets us at home then travels to Bradley. We go on the road to Evansville and then have ILState at home. If you ask me, they have a better chance at winning both of those games than we do. In other words, we must play 40 minutes with a certain sense of urgency and you've got to win the first game before you can think about winning the next game. If either of these teams are able to go 2-0 this week it will go a long way toward avoiding Thursday.
    Very true, and UE already destroyed Bradley earlier this month 68-44.

Thanks

Sycamores Travel Down Highway 41 To Take On Evansville Wednesday Night

Register to remove this advertisement

Indiana State Basketball continues MVC play on Wednesday, January 17 when they travel to Evansville. Tip-off is set for 8:00 p.m. (ET) from the Ford Center and will be televised live on The Valley On ESPN3. The game will also be broadcast on WIBQ 97.9 FM as well as streamed (audio) on GoSycamores.com. Indiana State is 8-10, 3-3 MVC after the Sycamores narrowly fell to league preseason favorite -- Missouri State on Sunday afternoon in Springfield. The Sycamores are led by Jordan Barnes who averaged over 22 points per game last week. Evansville enters the game with a 12-7 overall record and a 2-4 MVC ledger following a road loss at Drake on Saturday. Ryan Taylor is Evansville's leading scorer with a 21.1 ppg average.

More...