Become a Supporting Member to remove this and all other advertisments! Click HERE for more info!
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,911 Times in 2,947 Posts

[January 24, 2018] Indiana State (10-10) at Southern Illinois (12-9)

Register to remove this advertisement
    vs.

Indiana State Sycamores (10-10, 5-3 MVC) vs. Southern Illinois Salukis (12-9, 4-4 MVC)

SIU Arena - Carbondale, IL
    Wednesday, January 24th
    8:00 PM EST Tip
    No ads. Name in gold. Enhanced features. Become a Supporting Member for only $15 today!

Thanks
    The season is fun again!

Time to show this team and its abilities are here to stay.
    March on, you fighting Sycamores, Sycamores

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TreeTop For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 820 Posts
    Sunday's Saluki 64-53 win over UNI in Carbondale:

http://thesouthern.com/sports/colleg...ome-the-latest

Thanks
    Regardless of the magnitude of the historic victory by the Sycamores over the Redbirds on Saturday, BarbiePOM still has this game forecasted as a Snowballs Chance In Hell of ISU Winning.

BarbiePOM also says if GL coaches the SYCAMORES to a road win over the SALUKIS, that this win will also go down as historic and GL will be out of the Dog House as a very poor away Coach until the next road game, and then the road game after that, etc. etc.
    a.k.a. The Blue MOSQUITO

Sixth Man
    Thanks
    As nice as it is to only be 1 game out of first, I hope GL is telling everyone that they are only 1 game out of Thursday right now as well. Everyone in the conference except Valpo has a higher RPI than us, so we would lose any tie breaker this season as of right now. This game at SIU is big and it is almost a must win situation yet again.

Bradley on Saturday is definitely a must win game for us, because it is a home game. Three of our next four games are on the road so we have to protect the home court. I think @SIU and @VU are very winnable, while @UNI will be a lot more difficult. I think we need to go at the worst 2-2 in this stretch. If we survive this stretch then the last 4 of 6 are at home. We just have to stay out of Thursday and we can't get overconfident after blowing out an ILST team that really isn't very good.
    Last edited by Sycamorefan96; 01-22-2018 at 06:34 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,521 Times in 903 Posts
    I think if we can go 2-2 it will go a long way towards keeping us out of Thursday.

Not saying 2-2 should be our goal (4-0 should be the goal) but I won't be crushed by 2-2. 3-1 would be ecstatic, and 4-0 would have me buying lottery tickets and out in the back yard with a metal detector.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluethunder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sycamorefan96 View Post
    As nice as it is to only be 1 game out of first, I hope GL is telling everyone that they are only 1 game out of Thursday right now as well. Everyone in the conference except Valpo has a higher RPI than us, so we would lose any tie breaker this season as of right now. This game at SIU is big and it is almost a must win situation yet again.

Bradley on Saturday is definitely a must win game for us, because it is a home game. Three of our next four games are on the road so we have to protect the home court. I think @SIU and @VU are very winnable, while @UNI will be a lot more difficult. I think we need to go at the worst 2-2 in this stretch. If we survive this stretch then the last 4 of 6 are at home. We just have to stay out of Thursday and we can't get overconfident after blowing out an ILST team that really isn't very good.
    As much as I appreciate your logical rationale thinking, with how this conference is playing out, I say Fuck it - let's just win the damn thing. Will it tough? yeah. But there isn't a game on our schedule that we can't win.

Our bigs have been much improved this conference season. Who is coaching them? Because we did not get this kind of production from them under some former assistants.
    NCAA: 1979, 2000, 2001, 2011------MVC XC Champs: 1996, 1998, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2014

NIT: 1977, 1978, 2013, 2014--------MVC Indoor Champs: 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015

Final Four: 1979----------------------MVC Outdoor Champs: 1988, 1990, 1993, 1997, 2001, 2006, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014

1,000 point members: 38

Starter
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    As much as I appreciate your logical rationale thinking, with how this conference is playing out, I say Fuck it - let's just win the damn thing. Will it tough? yeah. But there isn't a game on our schedule that we can't win.

Our bigs have been much improved this conference season. Who is coaching them? Because we did not get this kind of production from them under some former assistants.
    To answer your question: The guy that worked with ISU big men the last 6 years is gone. Heís now associate head coach at a school dominating the WAC with only 3 overall losses and getting votes in both Top 25 polls. So thereís that.

Supporting Member SycamoreStateofMind's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,987 Times in 1,733 Posts
    Our lack of production from our bigs was more of an issue of talent than development in my mind.

I think that Murphy finally developed a pretty dominant hook shot that heís got some confidence in. Heís always been a strong defender when he doesnít foul too much.

Rickman hasnít quite figured it out - but again he came in pretty raw and was always going to be a project of sorts.

People are quick to point towards coaching this and coaching that. How much can a coach teach Rickman to make his free throws? About as much as a Track coach can teach a kid to be faster out of the starting blocks. You just have to practice and put in the time.

I think thatís the biggest difference between being really good and really average at this level. The guys that separate themselves are guys that put in the time. You donít see a lot of guys at this level that are just so damn gifted it doesnít really matrer what they do in preparation.
    Roll Timber!

Thanks

Register to remove this advertisement
    Agreed about Murphy.

He either does the sweet little hook or he dunks it. There are very few in-betweens for that guy and I love it. His conference-only FG % is at 72.2% 26 of 36.
    March on, you fighting Sycamores, Sycamores