Become a Supporting Member to remove this and all other advertisments! Click HERE for more info!
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 52
  1. #1
    Supporting Member Bally #50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    4,585
    Thanks
    99
    Thanked 451 Times in 263 Posts
    Rep Power
    38

    A few thoughts on President Curtis


    Register to remove this advertisement
    I was fortunate to have 10 minutes or so with our new President, Dr. Curtis last night. First of all, she was as easy to talk with as anyone could hope for. She had been meeting people for more than hour when I got to talk to her and there was no sign she was tiring out. Judging the group in attendance, I doubt she had too many conversation about sports as we did. After we exchanged hellos and introduced ourselves, I commented I hope you like sports, particularly football! She immediately said that she and her husband love sports. Her husband Lynn in fact, coached basketball at Paris High School years ago. I've since read that she coached some herself when she taught at the secondary level. They had University of Illinois basketball season tickets for a long time as well. Her first comment was she didn't like the fact that the stadium was a few miles away from campus and she has been reminded of that by many since arriving. She mentioned all the land down by the track and field stadium and even commented that a football field would fit right in the middle of the track. I moaned as I always do when they mention a combined stadium, and quickly commented that personally I prefer a separate field because the seats have to be quite a bit farther from the football field. She just smiled and said we'll have to find a way to do something. She then talked about a bridge or tunnel that has to be built over or under Third Street first, which is exactly what Dr. Bradley had told me once. She sounded like someone who feels sports are important to the University. (Note: HUGE sigh of relief). I hope I stated everything she said correctly because I really am impressed by her and I feel like she is going to be very special. I got an immediate good vibe from her and she was so well-spoken yet so easy to chat with. I turned to my girlfriend and said WHOA, I like her!

    I knew I was going to have a chance to meet her but I had no idea how nice she was going to be. I'd say we hired a great President and for you guys on Sycamore Pride, I hope this adds some insight into her opinion on sports. It was then on to Hulman Center for the worst basketball game I have seen them play in years. It went from great to crappy very fast. I guess i'll have to take the good with the bad.

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bally #50 For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Supporting Member SycamoreStateofMind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Terre Haute
    Posts
    14,415
    Thanks
    2,384
    Thanked 2,995 Times in 1,738 Posts
    Rep Power
    174

    A few thoughts on President Curtis

    Hahaha the football field and the track conversion. Eat shit. Not you - just generally anyone reading this.

    Look up the 20+ posts where I made that very same argument over the course of 5 years and was basically shot down by most here every time. Big fans of Memorial Stadium and the same ole shit I guess. Understand who/what you are and find a way.

    Now Iím fully in support (again I should add) of dropping the program completely because of the lack of vision and commitment to the program.
    Last edited by SycamoreStateofMind; 02-07-2018 at 05:08 PM.
    Roll Timber!

  4. #3
    Supporting Member Bally #50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    4,585
    Thanks
    99
    Thanked 451 Times in 263 Posts
    Rep Power
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreStateofMind View Post
    Hahaha the football field and the track conversion. Eat shit. Not you - just generally anyone reading this.

    Look up the 20+ posts where I made that very same argument over the course of 5 years and was basically shot down by most here every time. Big fans of Memorial Stadium and the same ole shit I guess. Understand who/what you are and find a way.

    Now I’m fully in support (again I should add) of dropping the program completely because of the lack of vision and commitment to the program.
    I have always argued about having a separate stadium for football, since day one. Dr. B. favored a FB stadium over by the river too. I guess that is proof that you quit reading my stuff long ago. I am not sure I like ANY response of my thoughts and opinions, that opens with EAT SHIT! SSOM, I used to admire most everything you wrote but after reading this response, it's so out there that I am not even sure what you are yapping about. If you don't want football, it is what it is, but I sure as hell do not agree with that! Believe me, football is going nowhere so if you really want it gone, I guess we are stuck listening to complaints from you forever. Lord help us all if you end up a poor, sad BS who NEVER has a positive thing to say. I will never see us having a "homecoming" at a basketball game. State is too traditional for that.
    Last edited by Bally #50; 02-07-2018 at 06:00 PM.

  5. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Newburgh, IN
    Posts
    10,037
    Thanks
    1,537
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 820 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Bally #50 View Post
    ...I guess we are stuck listening to complaints from you forever. Lord help us all if you end up a poor, sad BS who NEVER has a positive thing to say...
    Is this a tape recording? Some things never change. Now I understand why you & GL see "eye to eye," as we rapidly approach the conclusion of his 4th straight losing season.
    Last edited by BankShot; 02-07-2018 at 07:36 PM.

  6. #5
    Supporting Member SycamoreStateofMind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Terre Haute
    Posts
    14,415
    Thanks
    2,384
    Thanked 2,995 Times in 1,738 Posts
    Rep Power
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by Bally #50 View Post
    I have always argued about having a separate stadium for football, since day one. Dr. B. favored a FB stadium over by the river too. I guess that is proof that you quit reading my stuff long ago. I am not sure I like ANY response of my thoughts and opinions, that opens with EAT SHIT! SSOM, I used to admire most everything you wrote but after reading this response, it's so out there that I am not even sure what you are yapping about. If you don't want football, it is what it is, but I sure as hell do not agree with that! Believe me, football is going nowhere so if you really want it gone, I guess we are stuck listening to complaints from you forever. Lord help us all if you end up a poor, sad BS who NEVER has a positive thing to say. I will never see us having a "homecoming" at a basketball game. State is too traditional for that.
    You musta missed the part about that comment not being directed at you - just a general outburst of emotion. But take it personally if you wish...
    Roll Timber!

  7. #6
    Supporting Member Bally #50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    4,585
    Thanks
    99
    Thanked 451 Times in 263 Posts
    Rep Power
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by BankShot View Post
    Talk abut "sad and poor BS"...all you do Bally, is get on here and "cry." Get a life...and maybe a jar of "Chia 'Nads" to keep you busy.
    Surely you jest. The only negative comments I have made in months, is about the atmosphere in Hulman Center. My guess there is NO controversy there since virtually ALL of us feel that way. Are you saying that I am going overboard there with a few negative comments about cheerleaders? Safe to say that you are losing your objectivity. How negative was this thread on our new president? Go take a nap, BS.

  8. #7
    Supporting Member SycamoreStateofMind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Terre Haute
    Posts
    14,415
    Thanks
    2,384
    Thanked 2,995 Times in 1,738 Posts
    Rep Power
    174
    You want to keep football but having a combined facility on campus is a terrible idea - it just doesnít add up. Youíre in denial about our financial situation and youíre putting your own wants above the logic thing for our University.

    Sure - Iíd love it for football to have a stand-alone facility too. That shit ainít happening and the sooner yaíall come to terms with that the sooner we can actually talk about real solutions.
    Roll Timber!

  9. #8
    Supporting Member Bally #50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    4,585
    Thanks
    99
    Thanked 451 Times in 263 Posts
    Rep Power
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreStateofMind View Post
    You want to keep football but having a combined facility on campus is a terrible idea - it just doesn’t add up. You’re in denial about our financial situation and you’re putting your own wants above the logic thing for our University.

    Sure - I’d love it for football to have a stand-alone facility too. That shit ain’t happening and the sooner ya’all come to terms with that the sooner we can actually talk about real solutions.
    I didn't miss the part about it not being directed at me, but sarcasm carries a lot of weight around here lately and besides, I do take things personally, especially from you.

    As for the stadium, we still are talking a decade, maybe a little less, to build, so I am not talking NOW, by any means. We need to wait out for sure, any decision that comes about the non Power-5 schools, FCS and weak FBS from the NCAA before ANYTHING happens. Let's be real, if you build 12,000 seats at the soccer/track field, or 12,000 seats on the banks of the Wabash, they cost the same SSOM. The ground is already owned so that's a wash. Soccer and track doesn't need 12,000 (we both wish it did but....?) so why not build too. It will be decided by the money, where it comes from and the financial status of ISU finances. A large contributor, likely will want a football stadium separate but that is conjecture.

    That's not dreams, SSOM. It makes sense, but lots can happen between now and then. I still have a lot of respect for you, I just don't know why you decide I am clueless in all of this, because I am not.
    Last edited by Bally #50; 02-07-2018 at 08:46 PM.

  10. #9
    Supporting Member SycamoreStateofMind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Terre Haute
    Posts
    14,415
    Thanks
    2,384
    Thanked 2,995 Times in 1,738 Posts
    Rep Power
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by Bally #50 View Post
    I didn't miss the part about it not being directed at me, but sarcasm carries a lot of weight around here lately and besides, I do take things personally, especially from you.

    As for the stadium, we still are talking a decade, maybe a little less, to build, so I am not talking NOW, by any means. We need to wait out for sure, any decision that comes about the non Power-5 schools, FCS and weak FBS from the NCAA before ANYTHING happens. Let's be real, if you build 12,000 seats at the soccer field, or 12,000 seats on the banks of the Wabash, they cost the same SSOM. The ground is already owned so that's a wash. Soccer doesn't need 12,000 (we both wish it did but....?) so why not build too. It will be decided by the money, where it comes from and the financial status of ISU finances. A large contributor, likely will want a football stadium separate but that is conjecture.

    That's not dreams, SSOM. It makes sense, but lots can happen between now and then. I still have a lot of respect for you, I just don't know why you decide I am clueless in all of this, because I am not.
    It was what came to mind as I read what she had to say... I posted what came to mind at the time and actually stopped reading your post from that sentence on - I didnít even see the part about your rebuttal about the multi use facility.

    So my previous post addressed that part of your post having now read it. Which brings me back to my initial reaction and why I was so put off. I refuse to go down this road again - if anyone cares what I have to say they can search it.
    Roll Timber!

  11. #10
    Supporting Member Bally #50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    4,585
    Thanks
    99
    Thanked 451 Times in 263 Posts
    Rep Power
    38

    Register to remove this advertisement
    Like it or not, she holds the key to EVERYTHING athletic at Indiana State and if you are not interested in her opinions about ISU sports, fine, but I was, and I think most on here are. She’s not even inaugurated yet but my gut feeling is quite favorable so far. We’ll see if i’m right in due time. It’s a start.
    Last edited by Bally #50; 02-07-2018 at 09:14 PM.


Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •