Become a Supporting Member to remove this and all other advertisments! Click HERE for more info!
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Lansing

Supporting Member SycamoreStateofMind's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,015 Times in 1,755 Posts

Register to remove this advertisement
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell View Post
    Your point is noted, but it's always worth mentioning the one glaring exception to this argument:

Men’s Cross Country – 9 MVC Championships since 1996
    Women’s Cross Country – 2 MVC Championships since 1991
    Men’s Indoor/Outdoor Track & Field – 14 MVC Championships since 1988
    Women’s Indoor/Outdoor Track & Field – 13 MVC Championships since 1991

That's 38 MVC Championships in the last 30 years. (Never mind all the runner-up finishes and individual champions.) I have no idea what kind of relationship the other ISU coaches had with John McNichols, but it seems apparent that they either could not comprehend his method for building a winning culture or they simply never bothered to ask.
    I can tell you since this is a thread about him that Greg Lansing has the greatest amount of respect for John McNichols and his wife Linda. He's done a lot of things behind the scenes to help honor coaches name in the last 12 months that a lot of people will never know about.

In all fairness - John McNichols is far and away the best attempting to duplicate or implement his methods probably wouldn't be an easy task. The sports are also very different in nature - they faced different challenges to be successful. We could dive into but it wouldn't be productive. It took awhile for some to fully appreciate the success of those programs but I think most on here acknowledge the accomplishments of Track/XC.
    Roll Timber!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SycamoreStateofMind For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreStateofMind View Post
    I can tell you since this is a thread about him that Greg Lansing has the greatest amount of respect for John McNichols and his wife Linda. He's done a lot of things behind the scenes to help honor coaches name in the last 12 months that a lot of people will never know about.

In all fairness - John McNichols is far and away the best attempting to duplicate or implement his methods probably wouldn't be an easy task. The sports are also very different in nature - they faced different challenges to be successful. We could dive into but it wouldn't be productive. It took awhile for some to fully appreciate the success of those programs but I think most on here acknowledge the accomplishments of Track/XC.
    I have to suspect that he turned down or didnt pursue bigger programs. any insight?

Supporting Member SycamoreStateofMind's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,015 Times in 1,755 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by niklz62 View Post
    I have to suspect that he turned down or didnt pursue bigger programs. any insight?
    You know thatís actually a really good question Iíve never really pondered or thought to ask. McNichols much like Lansing had strong family ties in Iowa. He was also was nationally known/respected hurdles coach. Hard to imagine he didnít have other opportunities - my guess would be he didnít pursue.

I think he had all he wanted in the world - atleast thats the man I knew. Family. Loved the Haute. A beautiful house in the country. His pet projects the local trail system and LaVern Gibson. I think the man had all he wanted here at ISU.

But good question.
    Roll Timber!

Role Player
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreStateofMind View Post

Thanks for sharing those thoughts. As I said, I have no idea what kind of relationships the other coaches had with Coach McNichols (although I know a bit more about Lansing's now). Coach and I arrived at ISU at the same in 1983, so I had the privilege of seeing him build the program from the ground up. And based on the long-term success of the XC/T&F teams, I would like to think the other ISU coaches would have clamored outside Coach's office to pick his brain. Maybe they did but just couldn't put what they learned into practice or make it translate to their sport; I don't know.

Not to derail this entire thread, but the point of the comparison was simply to illustrate that (A) not every athletic program at ISU is mired in failure, (B) working well with a shoestring budget is possible if you recruit the right kind of kid...not necessarily a blue-chipper...and develop him/her, and (C) success is possible if you establish a sustainable culture of winning. The latter point has almost become a cliche, but it is by far the most important intangible that many ISU programs are missing. Most definitely the basketball team doesn't have it, and history doesn't indicate that one will ever come about under Lansing's leadership.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mitchell For This Useful Post:

Sixth Man
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by meistro View Post
    So, knowing what we're up against financially and knowing that it's not going to drastically improve, what should we do? Give him another year, two? In Terre Haute In. money isn't gonna come easy. Especially with 4 losing seasons in a row and the prospects next year, not much better. Should we drop to OVC, Horizon? Some of you guys want to blame everybody but the man in charge. Just curious what your ideas are to fix it.
    OVC. If we don't ever plan on spending the appropriate amount and being competitive with our sports then we might as well join a one bid league we can actually compete in. And in all seriousness we wouldn't even win the OVC this year. Belmont, Murray State, and Jacksonville State are all better than us this year.

In all honesty I prefer MVC, but I just feel like we'll always be losers in this league. Everyone else just wants it more and actually has the money to spend or can typically find it if they need it.

Legend
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sycamorefan96 View Post
    OVC. If we don't ever plan on spending the appropriate amount and being competitive with our sports then we might as well join a one bid league we can actually compete in. And in all seriousness we wouldn't even win the OVC this year. Belmont, Murray State, and Jacksonville State are all better than us this year.

In all honesty I prefer MVC, but I just feel like we'll always be losers in this league. Everyone else just wants it more and actually has the money to spend or can typically find it if they need it.
    Just a point of clarification, the MVC is also a one-bid league now. Now that Creighton and WSU are gone, no one else is getting in as an at-large without going almost undefeated.

I think the last time a team other than Creighton or Wichita made the NCAA Tournament as an at-large (that is without winning the conference tournament) was 2004-2005 season.

That's why I often don't understand why we still have early season threads about how the rest of the conference is doing and good RPI wins. It doesn't matter anymore. Only way we get in is by going at least 28-3, or by winning the conference tournament.
    Last edited by bent20; 02-14-2018 at 12:27 PM.
    Fear the Trees!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bent20 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    just curious. would you guy rather win 22 games and get the 1 seed and not make the NCAA or win around 16 games and make the tournament every few years by winning the MVC tournament?

Legend
    Thanks
    just curious. would you guy rather win 22 games and get the 1 seed and not make the NCAA or win around 16 games and make the tournament every few years by winning the MVC tournament?
    Depends on what we mean by every few years. Once a decade? I'd rather win 20 or more consistently because we can build a stronger program with that kind of sustained success. Once every five years? I'd rather luck our way into the NCAA tournament at least twice a decade.
    Fear the Trees!

Thanks
    In general, I'd like to experience winning 22 games...forget what it feels like.
    March on, you fighting Sycamores, Sycamores

Thanks
    Thanked 4,983 Times in 2,991 Posts

Register to remove this advertisement
    Quote Originally Posted by Sycamore Proud View Post
    I'm not trying to be the north end of a south bound horse. Serious question--do these programs generate revenue to break even? What about any others sports? I know the answers to men's basketball and football.
    Non-revenue sports are just that, non-revenue. They are loss leaders subsidized by revenue sports (at schools that actually make money), institutional funds, student fees and donations. Additionally, a lot of them are required per Title IX legislation.

Not sure where you were leading with that question, but here is an anecdote I always find interesting. I see far more former non-revenue sport athletes on the foundation donor rolls than I do revenue sport athletes. By a large disparity.
    No ads. Name in gold. Enhanced features. Become a Supporting Member for only $15 today!