Become a Supporting Member to remove this and all other advertisments! Click HERE for more info!
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Supporting Member
    Thanks

Arch Madness 2018

Register to remove this advertisement
    I have two comments to make looking at the bracket. Both involve tie breakers not helping us out. First, I would rather have drawn Drake than Illinois State. Iím not going to complain because we avoided Thursday, but just for shits I wanted to bring this up. The age old saying ďitís hard to beat a team 3 timesĒ would have been in play against Drake. Of course Timmer goes off on us each time. Drake has been trending downward of late. We did demolish the dead birds last time we played. However, they are one of the two most athletic teams to match up with in this conference. So if we arenít shooting well, we better be able to dig in defensively and be ready to help on the inside and stop the dribble drive.

Secondly, the tie breakers worked against us a second time by putting Missouri State in our side. It would have been sweet to see northern Iowa/Missouri State winner get Loyola second round. We all know they under achieved this year and we do not match up with them at all. If we do get past Illinois State I would rather see SIU than Alize Johnson on Saturday. Does anyone else agree? Thoughts?

Supporting Member SycamoreStateofMind's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,995 Times in 1,738 Posts
    Not really.

I donít know what the statistics say but I donít think we defend the 3 point shot very well - I didnít watch yesterday but it seemed we benefited from Bradley missing several open 3ís. I think Drake exploits that. Mcmurry is a difficult match for our guards and they have serviceable bigs.

In addition you canít make a case on one hand for wanting a team that is trending down lately in Drake and then on the other hand say youíd rather Mo State not be on our side of the bracket. No one is trending down more than them.

Beyond that - For out team this year itís less about the team were playing and more about which of our team shows up. The selfish team that has guys not following the game plan and Scott/Barnes plaing hero ball. Or is it the team that is patient, locks in on D and plays with confidence. And yet even then this bunch has been extremely inconsistent.

So I donít care too mhch who we play.
    Roll Timber!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SycamoreStateofMind For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,085 Times in 675 Posts
    Not sure I necessarily agree or disagree...I can see both sides of the argument. I’m probably of the opinion that it really doesn’t matter who we play this year. The only team that we just haven’t looked competitive against is Drake, so I’m not all that upset that we’re avoiding them until potentially on Sunday. I would have also preferred to have MSU on the other side of the bracket, but we wouldn’t play them until potentially Saturday...and it’s not likely they get that far. Based on how we played Alize Johnson this year, MSU is the only other team than Drake where I just don’t see us having a chance.

Our beatdown of Illinois State earlier in the year seemed to have woken them up, and they’re playing much better ball as of late. They’ll be a tough test. There’s a reason they’re the 3 seed and we’re not, but I don’t fear the matchup at all. We played them tough in Normal and spanked them in Terre Haute, so we have a great shot on Friday. SIU, if we play them on Saturday, looks VERY beatable right now too. We had them on the ropes in Terre Haute and they just got destroyed by Evansville yesterday. They could be tiring and wearing down as the season comes to an end.

In short, I like our draw and our side of the bracket overall.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BrokerZ For This Useful Post:

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,227 Times in 721 Posts
    I'm good with the draw because it really just comes down to how locked in our team is..not to sound cocky or anything bc the only thing we've proved this year is we are consistently inconsistent with our effort and preparation. I just don't fear any of these teams if we have our shit together...and if we don't?? Well likewise bc I don't think we can slip past any of em with a lackadaisical effort.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Southgrad07 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    For those that love Ken Pomeroy’s predictive analytics, he’s fairly bullish on our chances at Arch Madness. Basically, he’s projecting a Loyola/ISU final. If only...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	456B674B-90E9-4375-A519-5C55D6198B5E.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	1381

Sixth Man
    Thanks
    I filled out a bracket and I picked us to lose to Loyola on Sunday. Our side of the bracket is very bad and the two seed (SIU) just lost to Evansville by 31.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,933 Times in 2,961 Posts
    Can JB and BS get hot for 3 days while limiting turnovers and committing to play (at the very least) average defense?

If so, we can win it. If not, it's on to off-season conditioning.
    No ads. Name in gold. Enhanced features. Become a Supporting Member for only $15 today!

Thanks
    I just looked at the RPI rankings this morning to see how close the MSU and Evansville tie breaker was. MSU's RPI rank is 133 while Evansville is 137! Not that seeding for Thursday matters all that much...but you couldn't hardly make it any closer.

Thanks
    Who I'll be rooting for, cuz, why not?

Thursday:
    Valpo over MSU
    UNI over Evansville

Friday:
    UNI over Loyola
    Valpo over SIU
    Drake over Bradley
    ISU over ILSU (duh)

Saturday:
    UNI over Drake