Become a Supporting Member to remove this and all other advertisments! Click HERE for more info!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,256 Times in 767 Posts

What's up with Baseball?

Register to remove this advertisement
    I admittedly watch baseball from afar, but it seems that the team is underperforming this year. Anyone have a bead on what's wrong?

Legend
    Thanks
    I'm sure it's not always the pitching, but I watched most of the game Saturday and it was rather pathetic. We went from a 4-0 lead (with Polley dominating) in the eighth to down 5-4 (once the relievers came in), then took the lead back only to lose 8-7. If my memory is right, I think Illinois State loaded the bases in the eighth without getting a single hit out of the infield.
    Fear the Trees!

Thanks
    I haven't seen or listened to a game, but I have heard concerns about the relief pitching being suspect.
    Sycamore Proud

Let's go Sycamores!
    Proud to be a member of the OFC

My comments and ideas are free, but it costs money to run Sycamore Pride. Please be a Supporting Member!

Role Player
    Thanks
    Atrocious 2-5 starting, middle relief and closers.' Fail to move runners in clutch situations. They're just not a good team with not a lot of division one talent to boot with Hannah's going to the well one to many times. Mentally weak in closeout and in game preparation. This team like every Sycamore Men's team just doesn't know how to compete with the Valley's elite, which is surprising, because Hannah's is a great coach.

Polley is their best player by a land slide and Ayers is their best overall prospect. The other pitchers including Ward are way overhyped to this point, but they could turn it around, but with their talent level is highly unlikely. As they say, "A Coach is only as good as his Players."
    Last edited by Jackson0330; 04-16-2018 at 04:23 PM.

MVP
    Thanks
    This team was actually performing pretty well until a few weeks ago. Injuries have hit this team hard. They lost Romero Harris to an injury. He was probably the best hitter until he got hurt. Offense hasn't been the same since he went down. Now Max Wright is hurt. He was a pretty solid offensive player as well. Giesler has his streaks. Starting pitching hasn't been a big problem. It's been the relievers. Bullpen has blown multiple games. Pitching has been a consistent problem for years. Still is. I'm not sure why they can't figure it out. May be time for a new pitching coach.

Sixth Man
    Thanks
    We don't have a very deep pitching core and we've been having trouble scoring as of late. We also haven't been getting those lucky breaks you sometimes need in baseball.

For the record I don't really think we have much of a chance of winning Dallas (MVC tourney), but I'm still hopeful that we can make a run. DBU and MSU are the two teams to beat once again (both are in top 25 last time I checked) and Bradley is surprisingly having a good year. Unfortunately we play DBU this weekend. Hopefully we can somehow steal one of those games. Luckily we still have Valpo and Evansville on the schedule (both are in 7 and 8th) and SIU is definitely very beatable.

I'm also hopeful that the weather gets a little better. The crowds have been pretty bad so far. But in all honesty unless you're an ISU nut like myself it's easy to see why the crowds have been so bad. I usually leave the games half froze.

MVP
    Thanks
    They've had chances to win games. Had plenty of chances to beat IU. Had their chances to beat Missouri State. Just couldn't get the timely hits like everyone has said. They should have beaten Missouri State at least twice. Should have beaten Purdue on Tuesday night. Offense is the biggest problem, I believe. Pitching has been good enough. Dallas Baptist is a huge test. I think ISU will be lucky to win 1 game. I don't believe in this team right now.

I was at the IU, Xavier, MSU games. The crowd was pretty good for the IU game but i think 70% were IU fans.

Baseball Mod
    Thanks
    Pitching and offensive production have both been problems. So-so in the starting pitching and in lately a disappointment in relief. I was particularly disappointed to see Ethan Larrison's pitching slump in relief. Larrison was off to a great start as a middle reliever and closer. I though he might set a record in the number of saves! We hadn't seen a real closer since Tyler Browning in 2010. A solid performance on offense should expect a team average of around .285 or .290...not .268. And, a good pitching staff had an ERA of 4.00 or under...not 4.26. Yes, between under-performance and injuries...this season has been disappointing.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,527 Times in 907 Posts

Register to remove this advertisement
    Baseball season has been a lot like basketball season. A lot of close games (majority losses) and just seems like whenever we need that one or two plays to go our way we don't get them. A lot of wins left out there.