Become a Supporting Member to remove this and all other advertisments! Click HERE for more info!
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Register to remove this advertisement
    Quote Originally Posted by Sycamore Proud View Post
    I would be very surprised if Neese gets a start early in his career. He will miss the non-con season. It would be asking a lot from him to expect him to start at the beginning of the Valley season.
    Maybe Neese doesn’t get an immediate starting spot, but from hearing how well he has done in practice throughout the past season and how difficult he was to guard, I wouldn’t be surprised if he earned a spot before season end.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CicrtckySycamore View Post
    Maybe Neese doesn’t get an immediate starting spot, but from hearing how well he has done in practice throughout the past season and how difficult he was to guard, I wouldn’t be surprised if he earned a spot before season end.
    Early in his career was poorly worded. Should have said early in the Valley season. There is no doubt in my mind that he is the real deal.
    Sycamore Proud

Let's go Sycamores!
    Proud to be a member of the OFC

My comments and ideas are free, but it costs money to run Sycamore Pride. Please be a Supporting Member!

All-American
    Thanks
    I think he will start not long after he is available. I have only seen him practice once so I may not have a clear picture of him. The one practice I did see was the one about a week before the iu game that they invited the public in to watch. That evening I thought he was the best player on the court. Very smooth.

Supporting Member SycamoreStateofMind's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,886 Posts
    PG/SG: Barnes > Williams
    PG/SG: Williams > Neese >Washington
    SG/SF: Key > Hughes
    SF/PF: Thomas > Holston > Hunerman
    PF/C: Rickman > Kessinger > Brinkmeyer

After giving it some thought here is my attempt at a depth chart if you will for next season. Barnes or Williams will probably be the primary ball handlers with this group. Williams might even get the nod at PG so Lansing can run some off the ball action for JB and hope that Williams can help create some opportunities for Barnes - in the past JB has had to kind of go get his own shot (which he is really good at). Although Scott improved quite a bit last year on the defensive side of the ball Williams should be a pretty decent upgrade in that department. Williams didn't play big minutes at Iowa but he never turned the ball over more than 3 times in a single game - when was the last time we had a guard that could say that in a single season?! For better or worse - you've lost quite a bit of 3 point shooting with Williams in the game - he's not going to be much of a threat from deep.

Key, Neese, Hughes and Washington on the wings. My guess is Washington plays very sparingly (if at all) unless someone is injured or something else transpires. This is a young group of guys worth getting excited about - this is the future of the program and all 4 have the ability to turn into really nice pieces.

Thomas, Holston and Kessinger will probably hold down the PF position. I suppose if Lansing wants to stretch the floor a little bit he will let Hunerman get a little run in from time to time.

Rickman, Kessinger and perhaps Brinkmeyer will hold down the 5 spot in this lineup for us. I've got to think Brinkmeyer redshirts - I think he's going to be a bit of a project for us. Probably has the talent and the body to be serviceable but it's not a Cameron Krutwig situation unfortunately.
    Last edited by SycamoreStateofMind; 06-08-2018 at 08:55 AM.
    Roll Timber!

Thanks
    Neese will be our leading scorer next year.

JB will be a close second.

I know this thread isn't about "who will be our top scorers", but I'm putting that out there right now, Neese will lead the team.

Also, thank you SSOM for bring back this thread, it's incredibly relevant now that our roster is completely filled for next season.

I'm gonna stick with my Starting-5 prediction of:

Williams - PG
    Barnes
    Neese
    Key
    Rickman - Handling the Opening Tip
    NO EXCUSES

Thanks
    Thanked 5,404 Times in 3,244 Posts
    Here is the starting five I'd expect to see out of the gate since Neese and Williams will not be eligible until December.

Barnes, Key, Hughes, Thomas, Rickman

I think you'll see Holston be your 6th man off the bench and move ahead of Bronson unless he puts in a lot of work this offseason since Lansing always seems to favor defense first. That first quarter of the season will be key for Hughes and Thomas as they will basically be playing to keep their starting spots.

I expect Key to remain the gym rat and because of that, I expect a jump between his freshman year. I expect him to become the team workhorse and once the two become eligible, I think you could see a second unit like this:

Williams, Neese, Key, Holston and Kessinger. The three guards are basically interchangeable and can all handle the ball. With both Williams and Key being able to drive, it leaves drive and dish to get Neese open looks. All we would need from the bigs is defense, rebounding and rim protection. Anything they clean up on the offensive end is gravy.

When moving to a smaller lineup against some teams, I could see this

Barnes
    Neese
    Key
    Williams
    + Big of choice

When moving to a defensive lineup, I could see this

Barnes
    Key
    Williams
    Holston
    Rickman

Hughes is a wildcard this offseason. While I don't have him in most of the projected lineups, I actually prefer him as a second unit guy. I liken him to Andre Igoudala on the Warriors -- a guy that could be a #1 on some teams but could be the all-around glue guy that does everything well for a winner. He could be that guy that comes off the bench and brings a spark by scoring 4-6 quick points and taking a charge. I hope he works on his dribble drive moves because I'd like to see him take it to the rim more to not only use his athleticism but he is a capable free throw shooter. I hope he doesn't come down with a case of the Khristian Smiths because they could end up having similar career arcs.
    No ads. Name in gold. Enhanced features. Become a Supporting Member for only $15 today!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Svoboda For This Useful Post:

Sixth Man
    Thanks
    I don't see Daniel H. playing at the PF spot. With him being 6'11 or close to it I'm sure he will play C. I don't know if he has improved enough to come in behind Rickman but I feel like he will get minutes vs Blake unless Blake is a special type of player that we just cant redhirt. I'm not sold on DH either though.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jturner38 View Post
    I don't know if he has improved enough to come in behind Rickman
    He hasn't.
    NO EXCUSES

Sixth Man
    Thanks
    Here's how I see the depth chart. Assuming everyone is healthy. With Neese (Pending) and Williams not playing until December.

Barnes/Williams
    Key/Neese/Washington
    Holston/Hughes
    Thomas/Kessinger
    Rickman/Brinkmeyer/Huenermann

Even though that's how I see the depth chart, there will be different lineups.
    Offense:

Williams
    Barnes
    Neese
    Hughes (iffy)
    Thomas/Kessinger

Defense:
    Barnes
    Key
    Williams
    Holston
    Rickman

Tallest lineup: But I think I don't like this lineup so I would put Rickman in instead and Neese instead of hughes.

Williams (6'5)
    Hughes (6'6)
    Holston (6'7)
    Brinkmeyer (6'9)
    Huenermann (6'11)

Small:
    Barnes
    Key/Washington
    Neese/Key
    Williams/Hughes
    Thomas/Kessinger

Role Player
    Thanks

Register to remove this advertisement
    “Hughes (iffy)”

Why do you say this ? Asking for a friend
    Last edited by sgower9; 07-11-2018 at 05:05 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to sgower9 For This Useful Post: