Become a Supporting Member to remove this and all other advertisments! Click HERE for more info!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Winning seasons

Thanks
    Thanked 1,085 Times in 675 Posts

Register to remove this advertisement
    Looking at straight win/loss records with zero context is like comparing two baseball players and blindly saying the one with the higher batting average is the better player.

You’re much better off looking st MVC-only win/loss records. At least in that exercise you’d be comparing records against similar opponents. For example, yes, Evansville basketball had a winning record this year. They played an absolute dogshit schedule. We actually sacked-up and played some good teams. Saying Evansville we good only because they were .500 or better, and saying we weren’t because we finished below .500, is a strawman argument at best.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BrokerZ For This Useful Post:

Legend
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokerZ View Post
    Looking at straight win/loss records with zero context is like comparing two baseball players and blindly saying the one with the higher batting average is the better player.

You’re much better off looking st MVC-only win/loss records. At least in that exercise you’d be comparing records against similar opponents. For example, yes, Evansville basketball had a winning record this year. They played an absolute dogshit schedule. We actually sacked-up and played some good teams. Saying Evansville we good only because they were .500 or better, and saying we weren’t because we finished below .500, is a strawman argument at best.
    Evansville was 25-9 in 2015, just three years ago. 12-6 in conference. We haven't won more than 20 games and 12 conference games since 2013.

But if we're only worried about being slightly better than Evansville in men's basketball this past season (since this is where this conversation has drifted), I guess my point is lost on you guys. All I was trying to point out is things have been really ugly, we have a chance to turn them around in the coming weeks, but we need to recognize we're not competitive in several sports, including the ones most people don't pay attention to.
    Last edited by bent20; 04-25-2018 at 10:21 AM.
    Fear the Trees!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Svoboda View Post
    At FCS, they can be split. You also don't have to full fund the 63 and we didn't for a long time. At FBS level, they are full head count I believe and you are allowed under the 85 but it is something like you can't do it back-to-back years I believe. Someone would have to correct me on that.
    I think FBS can have 85 players on full scholarships and FCS can split 63 scholarships between 85 players but the dont have to. I was surprised to hear that one FCS school didnt do partial scholarships but I cant remember what school it was. It was a upper level program but who it was is escaping me.

Thanks
    In fairness to softball. The turn around is actually very impressive. The fact they can end with a winning season is very positive. They have been competitive with all MVC teams with Drake as an exception. As of today they are 3rd in the MVC. They finished last in 2017. Coach Pooch is going to build a winner. He is very respected in the softball community. A new scoreboard would be nice

Thanks
    Thanked 1,250 Times in 765 Posts

Register to remove this advertisement
    I think that Clinkscales will build the department into a winner. His coaching hires have been seemingly good thus far. The big one, football, MUST take a step (or three) forward this year. But the coaches he has brought in seem to have injected life into moribund programs. As we saw with Trent Miles, though, it's one thing to build a program from scratch, another to take it to the championship level and sustain it...