Become a Supporting Member to remove this and all other advertisments! Click HERE for more info!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,250 Times in 765 Posts

Recommendations to "clean up" college basketball

Register to remove this advertisement
    Seems to me to be some good recommendations in this report. What do you all think?

1. Lifetime ban for cheaters (yeah, how do they define "cheaters?")
    2. Get (basically) rid of AAU and have the NCAA take over summer travel ball (there's more teeth in there)
    3. Get serious with punishments
    4. Allow elite players to go pro out of high school, and if a player leaves for pro ball after a year, lock that scholarship for an additional three years (I like that one - a return to the "student-athlete")

I think there's some good stuff in there. The P5 will do everything they can to twist any new rules to their benefit, but at least someone is making some decent recommendations!

Read on...

https://www.indystar.com/story/sport...ams/549145002/

2. The Following User Says Thank You to IndyTreeFan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,933 Times in 2,961 Posts
    1) I concur with this but I'm with you on the definition of cheating. There would definitely need to be further separation of violations as paying a player is no bueno compared to calling a recruit too many times, for example.

2) So the NCAA will pay for all of these programs, coaches, travel, etc? A lot of that is funneled through the shoe companies via players "sponsoring" teams which I imagine is a nice tax write off to boot.

3) This is always the biggest one to me. If you broke the rules as they are currently set, you should get punished. The problem is the inmates (schools) run the asylum (NCAA) so how can that ever really happen? People give the NCAA shit whenever they try to exercise any power from here in Indy.

4) This is a NBA rule that would have to change and I don't think it will. I think with them beefing up their G-League, that is the best you're going to get. The just upped the salaries and the league has been stable for a long while now. Kids need to quit lying to everyone about not getting anything from college hoops. Many don't want to go to the G-League and play for 20-30k and never be heard from when they can get paid the same (or more) to go to Duke or Arizona and be on TV multiple times ever week.

As an aside, I think the only way you're ever going to clean up college basketball (as much as it can be) is to bring the P5 conferences back to the pack and make it a level playing field. That includes widespread schedule reform where all teams must play equal home and away games against all levels. If P5 schools have problems with it, maybe there needs to be a push to get some of the teams they've let in OUT of D1. I think 351 odd teams is too many personally.

I also think that players will ultimately get paid. So to set it up for all, I think they need to institute a team "salary cap" where NCAA tournament revenues and portions of conference media rights deals get put into the salary pool and split among everyone. Lets say every team gets $150k and you have to split that between the 13 scholarship players. That is $52,650,000 total paid out to players at 351 x $150k. Yes, P5 teams will claim it is unfair but, to be frank, fuck them. We're in this mess because of them so they get to subsidize the MM/LM schools.

So a college basketball player would get their scholarship, a $5-20k salary, room and board, food and all of the other perks that college athletes get. They will also get the fantastic opportunity of dealing with Uncle Sam and paying taxes. The coaches can spend the pool at their discretion so obviously some kids would want to go to Duke just getting the old scholarship package, but I think you'd get some kids that go HM look at their local schools when they know they could get offered $12k and be a top priority compared to maybe $5k from a HM where they aren't a top priority.

Revenue sharing as the pro leagues like to call it, just adapted for college hoops. The HMs would still have the overall advantages because they're raking in the extras from donations, media deals, licensing and the like so they could still pay their coaches crazy salaries, build their hoops meccas, etc.
    No ads. Name in gold. Enhanced features. Become a Supporting Member for only $15 today!

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I wonder if changing the scholarships to two years would help. That locks players and schools in for two years. If a player leaves after one, that scholarship would remain open the next year. That would tie into the transfers. When a player transfers, he can't play until his prior scholarship ends.
    Should sophomores then be allowed to transfer, play immediately, and sign another 2 year deal? That could work.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sycamorebacker View Post
    I wonder if changing the scholarships to two years would help. That locks players and schools in for two years. If a player leaves after one, that scholarship would remain open the next year. That would tie into the transfers. When a player transfers, he can't play until his prior scholarship ends.
    Should sophomores then be allowed to transfer, play immediately, and sign another 2 year deal? That could work.
    No, the kids want more mobility, not less. They want to be able to transfer without having to sit under any circumstance. Not a chance in hell the NCAA would even try to pull that stunt.
    No ads. Name in gold. Enhanced features. Become a Supporting Member for only $15 today!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Svoboda View Post
    No, the kids want more mobility, not less. They want to be able to transfer without having to sit under any circumstance. Not a chance in hell the NCAA would even try to pull that stunt.
    they should allow 1 time lateral transfers or more if a coach leaves but limit the number of lateral transfers you can have on a team. or something like that

7. The Following User Says Thank You to niklz62 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,250 Times in 765 Posts
    One thing that Secretary Rice conceded was that the recommendations would require assistance from outside entities (NBA, Players' Association, etc.) and that the NCAA would have to pony up the money to do others (take over the summer evaluation circuit). But if they did it right (hahahahahaha), then our coaching staff wouldn't have to pay exorbitant fees to attend the camps. It would serve to help schools like ISU. Which is why it will never happen that way!!!

And I'm on board for ONE transfer without having to sit out. After that, current transfer rules should apply. This is college, after all. There should be no free agent market. But I could see giving them one mulligan...

Thanks

Register to remove this advertisement