Become a Supporting Member to remove this and all other advertisments! Click HERE for more info!
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Register to remove this advertisement
    Quote Originally Posted by southernindianaballer View Post
    I could defend it if I wanted to or if I made a statement that warranted defending... I said, "if ISU truly wants..." so there is nothing to defend... It is quite obvious that if any entity truly wants any particular thing bad enough they will find a way to get it - at least in most cases - so it is an implied assumption.
    ISU has no problem finding that kind of money each year for expansion projects... and then some...
    Frankly, I think an indoor facility without the conference area is something ISU can go alone... I new stadium is in the master plan.
    The money that ISU "finds" is appropriated via the University's bonding authority with approval if the State of Indiana government. Unless things have changed, the state does not allow that bonding authority for construction of athletic facilities.

Dr Bradley was / is fan of college football... He never "found" the money, ergo, in your world he didn't REALLY want football...

Ill be shocked, pleasantly, IF ISU ever builds a new football stadium. I don't think it will happen.
    Be LOYAL and TRUE! WEAR ROYAL BLUE!!! don't SLACK by wearing BLACK!

Starter
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Q_iu View Post
    The money that ISU "finds" is appropriated via the University's bonding authority with approval if the State of Indiana government. Unless things have changed, the state does not allow that bonding authority for construction of athletic facilities.

Dr Bradley was / is fan of college football... He never "found" the money, ergo, in your world he didn't REALLY want football...

Ill be shocked, pleasantly, IF ISU ever builds a new football stadium. I don't think it will happen.
    You are correct about funding... Keep in mind that schools the size of ISU are able to start fund raising programs for projects this size all the time... So it's doable and the donors do not have to be ISU grads. If they want to do it - they can find the money. Do they really want to do it? It's been discussed a million times on this site.

A few facts that prompted the discussion this time:

Heard some officials were looking at the riverfront area for some sort of large convention site.
    ISU needs a football stadium on the riverfront - it's in their campus plan.
    Recently, TH/Vigo announced approval to move forward with plans and will likely start construction in 2019. Yes we have heard these type of things before.
    The Hulman Center renovation is starting soon and it has been stated by officials that a football solution/planning could start (discussions I assume) following the start of the of Hulman construction.

Thanks
    You are correct about funding... Keep in mind that schools the size of ISU are able to start fund raising programs for projects this size all the time... So it's doable and the donors do not have to be ISU grads. If they want to do it - they can find the money. Do they really want to do it? It's been discussed a million times on this site.

A few facts that prompted the discussion this time:

Heard some officials were looking at the riverfront area for some sort of large convention site.
    ISU needs a football stadium on the riverfront - it's in their campus plan.
    Recently, TH/Vigo announced approval to move forward with plans and will likely start construction in 2019. Yes we have heard these type of things before.
    The Hulman Center renovation is starting soon and it has been stated by officials that a football solution/planning could start (discussions I assume) following the start of the of Hulman construction.

School size has absolutely nothing to do with starting "fund raising programs" --- it's about the Will to do it, the Need to do it AND the ABILITY of donors, alumni or otherwise to contribute.

The master plan is a PLAN; when it, IF it, gets put into action - that's another story.

TH/Vigo announced plans to construct... what? A Convention Center? A Football Stadium? I read a lot of coulds, may, perhaps in both stories you provided. I did NOT read, Tax Bill Passes, Vigo County WILL enact Food & Beverage...

"stated by officials that a football solution/planning COULD start..."

Again, I'll be surprised, pleasantly, IF a new football stadium is ever built
    Be LOYAL and TRUE! WEAR ROYAL BLUE!!! don't SLACK by wearing BLACK!

Starter
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Q_iu View Post
    School size has absolutely nothing to do with starting "fund raising programs" --- it's about the Will to do it, the Need to do it AND the ABILITY of donors, alumni or otherwise to contribute.

The master plan is a PLAN; when it, IF it, gets put into action - that's another story.

TH/Vigo announced plans to construct... what? A Convention Center? A Football Stadium? I read a lot of coulds, may, perhaps in both stories you provided. I did NOT read, Tax Bill Passes, Vigo County WILL enact Food & Beverage...

"stated by officials that a football solution/planning COULD start..."

Again, I'll be surprised, pleasantly, IF a new football stadium is ever built
    Understand your positions... Looks like the state approved the tax. The county needs to approve now, which they may have already done... not sure... Look forward to the next reads in local paper to see what the decisions will be...

Thanks
    Thanked 4,983 Times in 2,991 Posts
    Understand your positions... Looks like the state approved the tax. The county needs to approve now, which they may have already done... not sure... Look forward to the next reads in local paper to see what the decisions will be...
    I don't think the tax is that big of a deal. The only piece that will really assist is if there is a convention center included, correct? So let's remove that from the equation and just look at what you've said and what ISU's "needs" are.

If their goal is to get all athletics facilities West of 41, that means football, soccer and softball, right? So realistically, you're likely looking at two new facilities and one expansion if you're doing it right IMO.

For football, you obviously would need to build a new stadium. If Terre Haute is piggybacking on this facility with convention center needs, that obviously will drive up the costs of the facility. If that is the case, I'd hope it is a completely indoor facility. Second, softball would need a new facility. I assume this would go over near Bob Warn. Third, if I had my druthers, soccer would play on the infield of the track facility as that would require (I'd think) the track to get more deserved upgrades -- additional seating/lighting/restrooms, whatever they still need that wasn't part of previous "phases" of the project.

So what does that cost? $35 million? $40 million? More? It always comes down to fundraising and people coming up off their money. So if we've had less than $1m (between $600-800k) in donations over the last several years per financial reports, even if the new fundraising folks are miracle workers, will fans, friends and alumni decide to remove the padlock off of their wallets and pony up? THAT is always the question. For that reason, I love the idea but you can put me in the "believe it when I see it" category because I don't have faith in my fellow alums.
    No ads. Name in gold. Enhanced features. Become a Supporting Member for only $15 today!

Starter
    Thanks
    I would imagine an ideal situation for all parties is:

TH/Vigo continues to spend the estimated 38 million or about that.
    ISU puts forth a few million.
    ISU and TH/Vigo reach a long term lease arrangement for football.
    All entities have to be willing to want 5000-12000 people in the downtown area 6 or 7 times a year.

Thanks
    I would imagine an ideal situation for all parties is:

TH/Vigo continues to spend the estimated 38 million or about that.
    ISU puts forth a few million.
    ISU and TH/Vigo reach a long term lease arrangement for football.
    All entities have to be willing to want 5000-12000 people in the downtown area 6 or 7 times a year.
    You want a city that is almost belly up financially to fund a football stadium? For a school that already act like it doesn't exist and that has a program that hasn't been a consistent winner since the 80's? Well, if that is somehow swung, I'd definitely consider this administration miracle workers.

No ads. Name in gold. Enhanced features. Become a Supporting Member for only $15 today!

Starter
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Svoboda View Post
    You want a city that is almost belly up financially to fund a football stadium? For a school that already act like it doesn't exist and that has a program that hasn't been a consistent winner since the 80's? Well, if that is somehow swung, I'd definitely consider this administration miracle workers.

Yes... I do, as a matter of fact! LOL As you know, when a business or any entity is struggling financially, the worse thing to do is settle, embrace complacency, accept failure, accept financial ineptness as a norm, and not take calculated chances. Instead, you fight, look for opportunities and basically do the opposite of what I just mentioned.
    What TH/Vigo has is an opportunity to create a lease agreement with ISU to help pay down the debt quickly on the facility. They already have a way to create 2+ million per year (via tax stream), bundle that with a ISU lease and other revenue opportunities and you have an ROI that may be less than 15 years, easily on a 45 million dollar facility, while also making a bit of profit along the way of becoming facility debt free. BTW - this brings several thousand people downtown for home games - what the city needs and wants. It also gives high schools and change to play indoors & downtown a couple times a year, perhaps.

Opportunities for additional revenue:

Concession $$ for all events.
    AAU basketball and volleyball to help fill the summer months. Multiple courts, etc.... FYI Evansville does not have a quality venue for this that holds 6 courts, etc. Not a huge profit maker but you can make a small profit. Also brings in 700+ players and with several families/teams spending the night.
    Supplement the Diesel fest and bring people downtown.
    Other obvious opportunities that a convention center with large floor space creates...

For ISU - it is obviously good for several reasons not worth mentioning.

As far as ISU football being a perennial loser... whatever - they can fight their way back and new facilities may help a tad.

Last edited by southernindianaballer; 05-19-2018 at 08:29 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to southernindianaballer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Well, at least you've got the good weed so there is always that, right?

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason Svoboda For This Useful Post:

Supporting Member SycamoreStateofMind's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,014 Times in 1,754 Posts

Register to remove this advertisement
    Finances aren't good. Don't settle - go all in and invest in Indiana State Football.

Got it...
    Roll Timber!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SycamoreStateofMind For This Useful Post: