Become a Supporting Member to remove this and all other advertisments! Click HERE for more info!
    Senior Moderator
    Thanks

Questions about Langford Commit to IU

Register to remove this advertisement
    Not directly Sycamore related, but thought you might like to read:

Link (Indianapolis WTHR)

On the night that Romeo Langford chose to spend one year, maybe two, at Indiana University, I waded my way through a pack of media who were trying to get a word with the reigning Mr. Basketball. I was not terribly interested in hearing from Romeo, though: I wanted to have a short conversation with his father, Tim, who was standing on the outskirts of the media scrum, a huge smile creasing his face.
    "Why Indiana?" I asked him.
    "Well, we looked at all three schools (IU, Kansas and Vanderbilt), considered who was staying and who was coming back and where he would be good fit on their team," Tim Langford told me. "One thing he (Romeo) told me was, he wants Archie (Miller) to put the ball in his hands, and good things will happen."
    Now it's nearly a month later, and the Washington Post reported earlier Wednesday that Adidas, the apparel company that sponsors IU and several other big-time sports programs throughout the country, paid Tim Langford a nice sum of money to fund his AAU team, Twenty Two Vision.

______

Here is the link to the Washington Post Article too (Link)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,034 Times in 3,030 Posts
    That's pretty much the new fund funnel. Same thing happened with the Duke kid IIRC.

Considering how many AAU programs are now owned by current or former NBA players, it's an easy value bet for shoe companies.
    No ads. Name in gold. Enhanced features. Become a Supporting Member for only $15 today!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 783 Posts
    And this situation is something the Rice Commission recommended eliminating. As long as this system is in place, college basketball will always be a front for money laundering to get certain athletes to certain schools. That sounds more like a professional league than amateur collegiate athletics to me. Of course, this is the nature of the P5 monopoly on these players. The P5, who control all of the NCAA, will never allow this system to change.

Someday, some non-P5 athletic director or university president will figure out that they outnumber the P5 by a wide margin. And then they'll realize that they are participating in a rigged system that will never allow them to reach the golden ring. And then they might think about forming a new association for COLLEGE athletics.

And someday, monkeys might fly out of my butt and I'll start sneezing out gold nuggets...

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IndyTreeFan For This Useful Post:

Sixth Man
    Thanks
    Big schools have bigger budgets and then I'm also going to assume that no one in our league is able to pay their players or have an outside source pay their players, so we're already in a hole there. The selection process is also rigged.

I'm also going to assume that D2 is a lot more even and it is definitely a lot cheaper to fund athletics at that level. I guess the real question is "Is being D1 actually worth it?". I want to see ISU compete at the Division 1 level, but I'm beginning to wonder if D2 makes a little more sense. I realize that no one really cares about D2, but in all reality no one really cares that much about ISU either other than us of course.
    Invite NDSU and SDSU to the MVC for all sports!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,034 Times in 3,030 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sycamorefan96 View Post
    Big schools have bigger budgets and then I'm also going to assume that no one in our league is able to pay their players or have an outside source pay their players, so we're already in a hole there. The selection process is also rigged.

I'm also going to assume that D2 is a lot more even and it is definitely a lot cheaper to fund athletics at that level. I guess the real question is "Is being D1 actually worth it?". I want to see ISU compete at the Division 1 level, but I'm beginning to wonder if D2 makes a little more sense. I realize that no one really cares about D2, but in all reality no one really cares that much about ISU either other than us of course.
    If there ever was a discussion about leaving D1, I would vote for the school to completely eliminate athletics and move solely to a club sport system.
    No ads. Name in gold. Enhanced features. Become a Supporting Member for only $15 today!

Supporting Member SycamoreStateofMind's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,028 Times in 1,763 Posts
    Look at what Michigan State just shelled out because of Nasser - a friggin “state” school $500mil.

Money rules D1 College Athletics. It’s so corrupt in so many different ways.
    Roll Timber!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyTreeFan View Post
    And this situation is something the Rice Commission recommended eliminating. As long as this system is in place, college basketball will always be a front for money laundering to get certain athletes to certain schools. That sounds more like a professional league than amateur collegiate athletics to me. Of course, this is the nature of the P5 monopoly on these players. The P5, who control all of the NCAA, will never allow this system to change.

Someday, some non-P5 athletic director or university president will figure out that they outnumber the P5 by a wide margin. And then they'll realize that they are participating in a rigged system that will never allow them to reach the golden ring. And then they might think about forming a new association for COLLEGE athletics.

And someday, monkeys might fly out of my butt and I'll start sneezing out gold nuggets...

Yeah! It would be great to see that happen!
    Sycamore Proud

Let's go Sycamores!
    Proud to be a member of the OFC

My comments and ideas are free, but it costs money to run Sycamore Pride. Please be a Supporting Member!

Thanks

Register to remove this advertisement
    As I have stated before, I would like the see all non-P5 schools reorganize and do it the right way with no attachment to those "big time" programs. Realign conferences based to travel and natural rivalries.
    Sycamore Proud

Let's go Sycamores!
    Proud to be a member of the OFC

My comments and ideas are free, but it costs money to run Sycamore Pride. Please be a Supporting Member!