Become a Supporting Member to remove this and all other advertisments! Click HERE for more info!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Starter
    Thanks

2018 MVC Baseball Tournament

Register to remove this advertisement
    MVC tournament takes place May 23-26 at Dallas Baptist. The tournament is broken up into Bracket A and Bracket B. Both brackets are double elimination. The winner of each bracket will then meet in a winner take all championship game at 8PM ET on Saturday, May 26.

Bracket A
    #5 Southern Illinois vs #4 Indiana State
    #8 Evansville vs #1 Missouri State

Bracket B
    #6 Illinois St vs #3 Bradley
    #7 Valparaiso vs #2 Dallas Baptist

I think Southern Illinois is a good draw for us. Obviously it's crucial that we win the first game or else we really don't have any chance at all of winning the whole thing. I think Missouri State will be a really tough out, so I think a realistic goal would just be to finish in the top 4 of this tournament. It's baseball and it's unpredictable, which is the fun part (and frustrating part) about tournaments like this. I know MSU and DBU are both in the at-large conversation for the NCAA tournament.

I think Dallas Baptist is probably the team to beat in this tournament honestly with them having home field advantage. Bradley hasn't been playing their best ball and didn't match up with DBU too well in the regular season. MSU played DBU tough, and we did too. So if anyone is up to the task of beating them it's either us or MSU.
    Invite NDSU and SDSU to the MVC for all sports!

Thanks
    Good ol' ISU baseball, virtually the only team sport at ISU that is a perennial winner and it gets so little love on this board.

I follow Sycamore baseball from afar, as I'm a baseball fan in general. I keep up on the stats, and the videos on social media and GoSycamores.com, and the occasional article at TribStar.com. And I even watched that Missouri game that was on TV (whah? a Sycamore baseball game on TV, uh huh) last week.

We've got a chance this year to put together a solid two, three days and make some waves in the tourney this year. Go State. DBU has been our downfall ever since they've joined the MVC, it's time we give 'em some payback on their own turf.

Go State!
    NO EXCUSES

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TreeTop For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,137 Times in 712 Posts
    Can someone with more knowledge break down the schedule and exactly how this tournament works? I live in Dallas and I'd like to go see the Sycamores play, but this double-elimination style tournament makes it hard to figure out schedules. I can find my way to Dallas Baptist, but other than knowing we play SIU to start the tournament the rest is a mystery to me. I'm a big MLB baseball fan, but I've yet to catch on with college baseball.

Can someone pretend I'm a third grader and explain how this works?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokerZ View Post
    Can someone with more knowledge break down the schedule and exactly how this tournament works? I live in Dallas and I'd like to go see the Sycamores play, but this double-elimination style tournament makes it hard to figure out schedules. I can find my way to Dallas Baptist, but other than knowing we play SIU to start the tournament the rest is a mystery to me. I'm a big MLB baseball fan, but I've yet to catch on with college baseball.

I dont know if this helps but:

For the ninth consecutive season, the 2018 Missouri Valley Conference Baseball Championship will welcome all eight league members to compete for the Valley's automatic berth to the NCAA Tournament. This year's format will divide the eight teams into two pods based on regular-season finish (Seeds 1, 4, 5 and 8; Seeds 2, 3, 6 and 7). Each four-team bracket will be a double-elimination format, with the winners squaring off in a one-game championship on Saturday evening.

Games are played at 9:00 a.m., 12:30 p.m., 4:00 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. each of the first three days, two "if necessary" games at 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. on Saturday, with the championship game on Saturday evening at 7 p.m.

Schedule: http://www.mvc-sports.com/sports/201...ase_Champ.aspx

Thanks
    ISU plays at 9:02am on Wednesday. That's about as cut and dry as it gets.

If they win on Wednesday...they play at 4:02pm on Thursday. If they lose on Wednesday, they play at 9:02am on Thursday.

After that, there are too many scenarios to try to figure out when they would play.

I recommend going on Wednesday if you can. If you can't go on Wednesday, then just wait to see if they win or lose the Wednesday game, and go to the following next game from there.

Good Luck!
    NO EXCUSES

All-American
    Thanks

Two pools with 4 teams in each pool. Those teams play double elimination in pool play. Winner of each pool plays on Saturday in a One Game Championship game. Horner Park looks like a nice little facility. BTW Dalls sucks. New Braunfels/San Antonio area is better! lol

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 939 Posts
    So will T. Polley start game one, or does Hannahs hold him back and (hopefully) start against the Bears in game two?

All-American
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluethunder View Post
    So will T. Polley start game one, or does Hannahs hold him back and (hopefully) start against the Bears in game two?
    To me, you have to win game 1 first. I would start him.

Starter
    Thanks
    Polley started, but we are currently down 3-1 in the 3rd. Clay Dungan hit his second HR of the year in the first inning, for our lone run, so far.

Update: Dane Geisler hits a HR in the bottom of the 3rd. ISU now trails 3-2 after 3 innings. Geisler moved into 4th place alone for career home runs at ISU.

Unfortunately I'm going to miss the second half of this game, but hopefully we can pull this one out.

Another update: Jake Means gets an RBI single and we are tied at 3 at the end of the 4th inning.
    Last edited by Sycamorefan96; 05-23-2018 at 12:12 PM.
    Invite NDSU and SDSU to the MVC for all sports!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sycamorefan96 For This Useful Post:

All-American
    Thanks

Register to remove this advertisement
    Quote Originally Posted by Sycamorefan96 View Post
    Polley started, but we are currently down 3-1 in the 3rd. Clay Dungan hit his second HR of the year in the first inning, for our lone run, so far.

Update: Dane Geisler hits a HR in the bottom of the 3rd. ISU now trails 3-2 after 3 innings. Geisler moved into 4th place alone for career home runs at ISU.

Unfortunately I'm going to miss the second half of this game, but hopefully we can pull this one out.

Another update: Jake Means gets an RBI single and we are tied at 3 at the end of the 4th inning.
    Sycamores UP 7-6 Bottom 8....Need to close it out top 9..