Become a Supporting Member to remove this and all other advertisments! Click HERE for more info!
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Allante Holston Transfers To Sycamore Basketball Program

Register to remove this advertisement

Indiana State head coach Greg Lansing announced today (June 4) that Allante Holston has elected to transfer into the Sycamore Basketball program. Holston is a graduate transfer and will be eligible immediately in time for the entire 2018-19 season.

More...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to GoSycamores For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Watch me pull a rabbit out of this hat.

Welcome Allante!
    March on, you fighting Sycamores, Sycamores

Thanks
    Looking at his highlight film, seems like a guy that can play anywhere on the court. Can hit enough outside shots to respect it, but is looking to drive and finish with the emphatic dunk. Handles the ball well and can run a fast break, at 6’9” that is pretty impressive. Glad to see he had some defensive highlights; probably our answer for the Yarbroughs and Faynes of the MVC. Appears to be a nice late pick-up for us, as a ++ if he has that junk yard dog mentality of Davis this could work out nicely for us.
    NCAA: 1979, 2000, 2001, 2011------MVC XC Champs: 1996, 1998, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2014

NIT: 1977, 1978, 2013, 2014--------MVC Indoor Champs: 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015

Final Four: 1979----------------------MVC Outdoor Champs: 1988, 1990, 1993, 1997, 2001, 2006, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014

1,000 point members: 38

Starter
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Looking at his highlight film, seems like a guy that can play anywhere on the court. Glad to see he had some defensive highlights; probably our answer for the Yarbroughs and Faynes of the MVC.
    If Holston proves to be the second iteration of Q. Davis, I think we've got a winner for the last scholarship.

Benchwarmer
    Thanks
    New to the forum. Fan of Allante's (not son or dad, just a fan). Liking this move and ready for next season.
    Highlights 2017-2018

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bballfan For This Useful Post:

All-Conference
    Thanks
    Let me be very clear -- glad to have this guy on board. Hopefully he will be able to help us in many ways. I thought Davis was a nice pickup also, but in the real world he was not able to help us translate into a good team and a successful season last year. So would our record have been any different without him ? Probably not (and if it would have been ....my god, think about that).

This young man may be a difference maker -- that would be great -- we need one (by the way he is not 6'9" -- he is 6'7"). But a difference maker is just that -- he makes a difference -- a REAL difference. Not 1 - 2 more wins ----- 5 - 7 more wins. Not avoiding Thursday in March ...but making the NCAA or NIT.

I watched the highlight video -- impressive. But its a "highlight" video -- take just about any below average to average college player and show his best 15 - 25 plays over a year or two in a video and it will be impressive. You could do that with a couple of our guys right now. And read his stats -- not bad certainly, but "difference maker" ? And his best performances -- check who they were against.

So trying to avoid being too negative, and I'm glad we picked up what appears to be an ok player.......but wouldn't be nice to see a guy who averaged 19 a game, 10 rebounds, and led his team to the Sweet 16 coming in to ISU as a grad player ? ? ?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 690 Posts
    Holston is a defense-first player. We have plenty of scoring, that was not our issue last year. What we lacked was defense against longer and more athletic wings. I don't think Holston will play huge minutes, but hopefully he gives us crazy hustle and a disruptive defensive presence for the 15 minutes or so he plays each game. He averaged 3.1 points and 2.9 rebounds last year, so don't expect much on the offensive end.

Still, there's plenty of value here and I look forward to seeing him paired with Christian Williams in the same lineup. Those two together will cause some havoc in press and trap defense situations.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,060 Times in 3,043 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Westbadenboy View Post
    Wouldn't be nice to see a guy who averaged 19 a game, 10 rebounds, and led his team to the Sweet 16 coming in to ISU as a grad player ? ? ?
    Yeah, that would be swell. Those kids stay put or move UP, not DOWN.

At some point, we need to be realistic with ourselves.
    No ads. Name in gold. Enhanced features. Become a Supporting Member for only $15 today!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Svoboda For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,060 Times in 3,043 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokerZ View Post
    Holston is a defense-first player. We have plenty of scoring, that was not our issue last year. What we lacked was defense against longer and more athletic wings. I don't think Holston will play huge minutes, but hopefully he gives us crazy hustle and a disruptive defensive presence for the 15 minutes or so he plays each game. He averaged 3.1 points and 2.9 rebounds last year, so don't expect much on the offensive end.

Still, there's plenty of value here and I look forward to seeing him paired with Christian Williams in the same lineup. Those two together will cause some havoc in press and trap defense situations.
    Agree with this. We really only need what he provided at UNT. He is likely slotted at 15-20 mpg and will spell the 4 and possibly play the 5 when we want to go small. He will basically do all of the spot roles Qiydar, Demo and Deady did.

I would love to see a linuep of Barnes, Key, Williams, him and Rickman. I think the other 4 can mask Barne's defensive issues while still having multiple scoring options and a LOT of length and defensive aggressiveness.
    No ads. Name in gold. Enhanced features. Become a Supporting Member for only $15 today!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 690 Posts

Register to remove this advertisement
    Quote Originally Posted by Westbadenboy View Post
    but wouldn't be nice to see a guy who averaged 19 a game, 10 rebounds, and led his team to the Sweet 16 coming in to ISU as a grad player ? ? ?
    That player doesn't transfer to another school, he goes to the NBA.