Become a Supporting Member to remove this and all other advertisments! Click HERE for more info!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Starter
    Thanks

Register to remove this advertisement
    Quote Originally Posted by Bally #50 View Post
    Do we have a new school? I see 7 schools in the top 35, by your criteria. 70% are rated in the top 35. I'll buy that. Like I said above, fuck the math. I am not sure many on here do math very well anyway. How about half the conference are in the TOP 20? Now THAT'S impressive.
    7 MVFC teams were either ranked or getting votes in the Hero poll. 70 percent of the league.

8 MVFC teams were either ranked or getting votes in the STATS poll. 80 percent of the league.

The MVFC is tough and only getting tougher. As Nicklz said this isn’t the Lou West Gateway/MVFC.

Thanks
    heres a question to ponder. How many teams in the league on average do you think would make the playoffs if they were in another conference.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooper View Post
    7 MVFC teams were either ranked or getting votes in the Hero poll. 70 percent of the league.

8 MVFC teams were either ranked or getting votes in the STATS poll. 80 percent of the league.

The MVFC is tough and only getting tougher. As Nicklz said this isn’t the Lou West Gateway/MVFC.
    I also missed the link to the STATS poll so I will cut you some more slack, Hoop. Bottom line, it is a great stat to bounce around and I thank you for it. I am well aware we play in the strongest league coming out of the blocks. It's almost a negative to me however because a team which is obviously improved and with a good, maybe great coach, could lose their mojo quickly early in the season and fall into the toilet. The odds are, the guys, no matter how good they are, will struggle to be near .500 and watching the playoffs on TV. Seriously SP members who stoop to read my rose glasses stuff..., if Clink and Dr. C. don't up the ante in football but stay the course, I often think a move down to the OVC makes sense, but I hold out we can get in the upper half of Hoop's 70 or 80%. How I don't know. Either way, I am anxious to see football return. Maybe it will bring some of you out of your caves. We need some with positivity on here if you all haven't left. P.S. I'm glad I got by Boda's big red button tonight. I can sleep now!
    Last edited by Bally #50; 08-09-2018 at 12:22 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bally #50 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,554 Times in 924 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by niklz62 View Post
    heres a question to ponder. How many teams in the league on average do you think would make the playoffs if they were in another conference.
    8 out of 10. Might be a bit high of an estimate, but I look at Eastern Illinois last year. They went 6-5 and had to beat us on a last second play, and we didn't win a game. To me it is one more piece of evidence that shows how strong the MVFC is compared to others. The CAA is the only conference that can routinely match up with this conference.
    Last edited by Bluethunder; 08-09-2018 at 08:50 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluethunder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,062 Times in 3,045 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluethunder View Post
    8 out of 10. Might be a bit high of an estimate, but I look at Eastern Illinois last year. They went 6-5 and had to beat us on a last second play, and we didn't win a game. To me it is one more piece of evidence that shows how strong the MVFC is compared to others. The CAA is the only conference that can routinely match up with this conference.
    I'd put the Big Sky in there over the CAA top to bottom, but those two are the only conferences where any of our teams would face similar competition on a weekly basis.
    No ads. Name in gold. Enhanced features. Become a Supporting Member for only $15 today!

Thanks
    So as a point of discussion....if we are going to continue to be in the bottom 30% of the MVFC (Hoop says up to 20%), why not move over to the OVC, where theoretically we might be in the middle of the pack or better?? I, personally, go back and forth on this subject, but certainly geographically it has some advantages. Maybe Boda can dig up the comparisons he has posted before between the OVC and the MVFC dollar-wise again. That was useful info for sure. Any ideas on that premise?

Starter
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bally #50 View Post
    So as a point of discussion....if we are going to continue to be in the bottom 30% of the MVFC (Hoop says up to 20%), why not move over to the OVC, where theoretically we might be in the middle of the pack or better?? I, personally, go back and forth on this subject, but certainly geographically it has some advantages. Maybe Boda can dig up the comparisons he has posted before between the OVC and the MVFC dollar-wise again. That was useful info for sure. Any ideas on that premise?
    I don't want to take a step down. It admits defeat. And who's to say the OVC would take us? Would all sports have to go?

We are only a few years removed from an FCS playoff run. We've won MVFC games in recent history. The potential is there. Unlike our basketball team, we actually fund our football team at a competitive level. We need good coaching and recruiting (so far unproven but I'm willing to hang in there with Mallory and Co. another year or two to see what he can do) and a new stadium. We also need the FBS Power conferences to keep from penalizing big schools when they schedule an FCS team. Right now those money games we play every year are vital dollars to our budget.

If we can win just 3 MVC games this year, along with wins against QU and EIU, that 5 win season will do wonders for our recruiting. People will talk nationwide how ISU is on the upswing and Mallory is moving the program in the right direction. I still don't know how we got so bad so fast (Let's not start the "Sanford left the cupboard bare" debate again)--and we have some real issues at QB, but our Defense returns 5 preseason second team all-conference selections. So, we should be much improved, right?

It's nice to have a football discussion going! 3 weeks to Gameday!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hooper For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I don't want to take a step down. It admits defeat. And who's to say the OVC would take us? Would all sports have to go?

We are only a few years removed from an FCS playoff run. We've won MVFC games in recent history. The potential is there. Unlike our basketball team, we actually fund our football team at a competitive level. We need good coaching and recruiting (so far unproven but I'm willing to hang in there with Mallory and Co. another year or two to see what he can do) and a new stadium. We also need the FBS Power conferences to keep from penalizing big schools when they schedule an FCS team. Right now those money games we play every year are vital dollars to our budget.

If we can win just 3 MVC games this year, along with wins against QU and EIU, that 5 win season will do wonders for our recruiting. People will talk nationwide how ISU is on the upswing and Mallory is moving the program in the right direction. I still don't know how we got so bad so fast (Let's not start the "Sanford left the cupboard bare" debate again)--and we have some real issues at QB, but our Defense returns 5 preseason second team all-conference selections. So, we should be much improved, right?

It's nice to have a football discussion going! 3 weeks to Gameday!
    Good presentation there counselor. I can't argue ANY of your points there. I am on the fence but I can say I am more optimistic this year than I have in a long time. Remember, SSOM, I still have those rose-colored glasses. I am totally in Mallory's corner, and although I haven't followed all the pre-season notes, I'll be there as always on the 30th. I might even buy season tickets if they would send me SOMETHING. We'll save that talk for another day though. I'll be there, as always -- on the grass just west of the Varsity lot. I'll look for you guys, at least most. And Hoop, your comment? It's nice to have a football discussion going! 3 weeks to Gameday It is absolutely ridiculous that nobody on here is talking football, well....maybe a few. Actually, nobody's talking period. C'mon everyone, Boda has some bills to play!

Starter
    Thanks
    Well the editor of the American College Football Yearbook appears to think we’ve already dropped to the OVC. Ugh.

https://mobile.twitter.com/PostinsPo...21373580492800

Thanks

Register to remove this advertisement
    Well the editor of the American College Football Yearbook appears to think we’ve already dropped to the OVC. Ugh.

https://mobile.twitter.com/PostinsPo...21373580492800

Seems like the editor has ensured the "validity" of their product.

Recommend you read Lindys, Athlons, Street & Smith/The Sporting News --- far better products
    Be LOYAL and TRUE! WEAR ROYAL BLUE!!! don't SLACK by wearing BLACK!