Become a Supporting Member to remove this and all other advertisments! Click HERE for more info!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,955 Times in 2,973 Posts

Pretty interesting stat about Coach Cal and his NBA pedigree

Register to remove this advertisement
    John Calipari has coached in college for 26 years and had 30 1st round draft picks; Earl Barron is his only player to win an NBA championship, logging 0 playoff minutes on the 2006 Heat.

Earl Barron was not drafted.

Heard this today and thought it was pretty interesting.
    No ads. Name in gold. Enhanced features. Become a Supporting Member for only $15 today!

Thanks
    I find it pretty interesting as well.

Now, I'm wondering which college coach as the most former players to have won an NBA championship.
    March on, you fighting Sycamores, Sycamores

Supporting Member SycamoreStateofMind's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,005 Times in 1,747 Posts
    What does it say about him as a coach?? Beyond pretty much everyone on here that thinks he's a cheat - we've established that. Show me someone clean in college basketball and I will show you someone that is not.

- He helps create a basketball resume for young kids get to the next level and make a lot of money.

- Maybe he's a better X's and O's coach than he gets credit for... Is he getting more out of his college talent than the NBA? Apparently so...

The stat is very interesting - I'm more interested to hear your thoughts on what that stat means to you? Because for me, it says that maybe the guy is a much better coach than he gets credit for. I could certainly be swayed the other way on this one - I've always just contended he's a great recruiter of 1 and done kids and that is his only MO.
    Roll Timber!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SycamoreStateofMind For This Useful Post:

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    He recruits players that are ranked high in HS. This shows how the ratings are imprecise. I've always thought he does a good job recruiting the top players (with big egos) and getting them to play decent team ball as freshmen.
    Last edited by sycamorebacker; 06-13-2018 at 07:24 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreStateofMind View Post
    What does it say about him as a coach?? Beyond pretty much everyone on here that thinks he's a cheat - we've established that. Show me someone clean in college basketball and I will show you someone that is not.

- He helps create a basketball resume for young kids get to the next level and make a lot of money.

- Maybe he's a better X's and O's coach than he gets credit for... Is he getting more out of his college talent than the NBA? Apparently so...

The stat is very interesting - I'm more interested to hear your thoughts on what that stat means to you? Because for me, it says that maybe the guy is a much better coach than he gets credit for. I could certainly be swayed the other way on this one - I've always just contended he's a great recruiter of 1 and done kids and that is his only MO.
    I think it says he is probably the most elite recruiter in college basketball. I know he has World Wide Wes and Nike behind him, but some of the other blue bloods have their shoe deals and deep pocketed alums, too. As a coach, I think he's good and to continually win with a new batch of kids every year is probably a pretty tiring task. Elite kids know they'll be playing in his NBA-styled dribble drive offense so there is definite allure there.

On the flip, I think quite a few of his kids got draft bumps because of going to Kentucky and playing for him. That's not a bad thing to sell to kids, either, because all that means is more guaranteed money for them if they go to Kentucky and have NBA talent.

Cal's NBA List: https://coachcal.com/sports/2017/10/...s-coached.aspx
    No ads. Name in gold. Enhanced features. Become a Supporting Member for only $15 today!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Svoboda For This Useful Post:

Supporting Member SycamoreStateofMind's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,005 Times in 1,747 Posts
    Good stuff guys. Makes for an interesting conversation none the less. I don't think Cal is one of the top 5 X's and O's coaches in college hoops. But I think he is pretty damn good! Like Jason said - I think he's as good of a recruiter of talent that we've maybe ever seen (outside forces or not).

Top 5 Coaches

K

Izzo

Self

Wright

Beilein

I'd probably put Calipari next on my list...
    Roll Timber!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,091 Times in 679 Posts
    I think it means that the NBA is still intoxicated with the thought of young and raw talent, which is the type of player Cal recruits because they're usually 5-star high school players. Drafting a 19 year old with one year of college ball under his belt is just as boom-or-bust as drafting them right out of high school, so it kind of proves the 1-and-done rule is pretty stupid.

I know it's not a Cal player, but take Michael Porter as an example. He played like 3 total games for Missouri and still will most likely be a top-10 NBA lottery pick. That's not because he proved anything in college, it's all because of his potential he showed in high school.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BrokerZ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokerZ View Post
    I think it means that the NBA is still intoxicated with the thought of young and raw talent, which is the type of player Cal recruits because they're usually 5-star high school players. Drafting a 19 year old with one year of college ball under his belt is just as boom-or-bust as drafting them right out of high school, so it kind of proves the 1-and-done rule is pretty stupid.

I know it's not a Cal player, but take Michael Porter as an example. He played like 3 total games for Missouri and still will most likely be a top-10 NBA lottery pick. That's not because he proved anything in college, it's all because of his potential he showed in high school.
    They don't care what he did in high school to be honest.

Elite level AAU and those USA Select teams have basically become the evaluation process for the one-and-done prospects in combination with their one year of hoops. Just look at the most recent USA U19/18 rosters and then watch the NBA draft the next couple years. Also, just look who happens to coach the U19 squad. Coincidence, I'm sure.

https://www.usab.com/mens/u19/roster.aspx
    https://www.usab.com/mens/u18/roster.aspx

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason Svoboda For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TreeTop View Post
    I find it pretty interesting as well.

Now, I'm wondering which college coach as the most former players to have won an NBA championship.
    If this site is accurate; Dean Smith leads with 12 or 13 different players winning an NBA or ABA Championship; Smith "inherited" Larry Brown from Frank McGuire. 2nd on the list is the Great John Wooden with 7, though 2 of his last recruits (Brad Holland & Dave Greenwood) won titles as well; 3d on the list is Fred Taylor at Ohio State.

Appears to be current as of the post 2015-2016 NBA Finals; includes the ABA (1967-76) titles as well.

http://labs.mkubilayk.com/college-rings/
    Be LOYAL and TRUE! WEAR ROYAL BLUE!!! don't SLACK by wearing BLACK!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 4Q_iu For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Register to remove this advertisement
    there's some interesting variables here but I was thinking of reasons you might expect this result. do his players (since going to UK) end up on the lottery teams and how often do the lottery teams end up winning the finals. he has been at UK since 09 (i know this counts before that) and only 6 teams have won a championship since then. And I guess you could argue 5 with Lebron being at 2 of those places

16. The Following User Says Thank You to niklz62 For This Useful Post: