Become a Supporting Member to remove this and all other advertisments! Click HERE for more info!
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,190 Times in 3,115 Posts

Football is in trouble...

Register to remove this advertisement
    I'm not talking ISU, I'm talking the sport in general.

I'm not sure how many of you have watched any preseason games, but good tackles are now being flagged as illegal hits. There was one in the Chargers/Cards game last night that was absolutely textbook, helmet to the side and he was flagged. Here is an article on a couple of the plays from the game last night. There was another where the player lowered his head and put it on the ball causing a fumble -- 15 yarder basically for endangering himself.

There were also numerous reports from training camps that the refs came in to give a presentation to players and basically nobody knew what the hell to expect after they were done. Heard the complaints from from both the Colts and Bears media on JMV's show and the Chicago shows I listen to off of The Score out of Chicago.

Also, not sure if anyone has read this piece, but now NFL players with Parkinson's and ALS are starting to make claims and the NFL has exhausted a 65-year payout projection in 18 months. Well worth the read. This has gone from being a concussion issue to being something much, much larger.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la...808-story.html

The game is inherently violent. It was marketed for decades on vicious hits and guys that played through immense pain. I remember being glued to NFL Films stuff on guys like Jim Otto, the brutal linebackers of the 60s-70s like Butkis, Lambert, etc... and remember watching VHS tapes put out by the NFL of "Hardest Hits" and the like.

The NFL is scared shitless and rightly so because the health risks aren't even up for debate -- even before the CTE epidemic hit. Watching guys like Jerome Bettis talk about how it takes him an hour to get out of bed and several hours to be able to walk/limp around, for example. Man, with the new rules and it being a passing league, it's basically going to be turned into a glorified 7-on-7 tournament. The sport is in real trouble unless they can find a way to pass liability off onto the players.

I'd also bet $10 that when Vince McMahon relaunches the XFL, he is going to do just that and market his league as "real" football. Will be interesting to see how he is able to handle liability because the WWE has many of the same issues the NFL has and he really has only been put through the ringer of PED abuse.

How do you guys see it?
    No ads. Name in gold. Enhanced features. Become a Supporting Member for only $15 today!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Svoboda For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Well put Jason. I too have jumped off the couch over some of the refs calls on the new rules and although I didn’t see the one you mentioned, there have been dozens like the one you described. I’d bet that the refs are exaggerating the rules and will ease up in the regular season. I am not basing that on anything that I have read BUT I personally feel that is correct.

The NFL has a shitload of issues to deal with, the fund drying up that you referred to is a huge problem, lawsuits from the Players Association on several counts and the whole National Anthem controversy is not going away anytime soon. The NFL is temporarily in trouble, no doubt. It’s not the first time it’s been followed by a dark cloud. It’s going nowhere, they adjust, move on, shuffle their checking accounts, and move on. I agree with everything you say BUT that I think they will move on, relatively unscathed. Attendance is down in MOST sports but like the weather my degree is all about, it’s cyclical. I much prefer college ball anyway. Of course, their rules are protecting the same thing.
    Last edited by Bally #50; 08-12-2018 at 08:11 PM.

Thanks
    I think I saw there are 2 high schools in Indiana that will not field (varsity) football teams this Fall due to low participation numbers. I think that trend will continue in years to come and more schools will not have football teams

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ISUCC View Post
    I think I saw there are 2 high schools in Indiana that will not field (varsity) football teams this Fall due to low participation numbers. I think that trend will continue in years to come and more schools will not have football teams
    Because my girlfriend is the nurse at Decatur Central, I got a bit of inside info the other day. Keep in mind that DC has a strong program in the playoffs last season and has rising stars already in place. One of their coaches told her last week that they ONLY had 40 kids out for freshman football sending a strong message that the “helicopter” mother’s are concerned and head injuries could slow or stop the game as we know it!
    Last edited by Bally #50; 08-12-2018 at 08:07 PM.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Losing the NFL is nothing to me. I'm not watching another game until they stand for the anthem.
    They should never be allowed to kneel for the anthem and then play in the game.
    Nobody has any balls anymore and are just letting the snowflakes take over.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Svoboda View Post
    I'm not talking ISU, I'm talking the sport in general.

I'm not sure how many of you have watched any preseason games, but good tackles are now being flagged as illegal hits. There was one in the Chargers/Cards game last night that was absolutely textbook, helmet to the side and he was flagged. Here is an article on a couple of the plays from the game last night. There was another where the player lowered his head and put it on the ball causing a fumble -- 15 yarder basically for endangering himself.

How do you guys see it?
    this should absolutely be a penalty. he went in head first with his head down. spearing has been a penalty since before I was playing at 10 years old and that was a LONG time ago. as far as big hits to the head, im not sure the highlight hits are as dangerous as the every down hits the guys on the line, RB and LBs take. i have nothing to back this up.

I saw a photo of EIU's FB team practicing and they OL was wearing pads on the outside of their helmet. I think that's a great idea. I suspect there will be some serious advances soon on helmet tech. Ive seen some where the helmet has a sensor that alerts the trainer and they immediately come off for a concussion test.

There is also a type of helicopter parent that IS at the JFL games ect. they may be worse than the ones that dont let the kids play.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,190 Times in 3,115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by niklz62 View Post
    this should absolutely be a penalty. he went in head first with his head down. spearing has been a penalty since before I was playing at 10 years old and that was a LONG time ago. as far as big hits to the head, im not sure the highlight hits are as dangerous as the every down hits the guys on the line, RB and LBs take. i have nothing to back this up.

I saw a photo of EIU's FB team practicing and they OL was wearing pads on the outside of their helmet. I think that's a great idea. I suspect there will be some serious advances soon on helmet tech. Ive seen some where the helmet has a sensor that alerts the trainer and they immediately come off for a concussion test.

There is also a type of helicopter parent that IS at the JFL games ect. they may be worse than the ones that dont let the kids play.
    Spearing has always been ruled helmet to opponent though, no? That's always how I've seen it called. I can't ever recall seeing it flagged for "putting a hat on the ball" which has been drilled into players for a LONG time. Even taking the actual act of "spearing" out, the vague lowering the head rule means you can essentially throw 11-22 flags on every play.

One thing that has gone largely ignored during the brain trauma debate is line play. I don't know if people just don't give a shit about the big uglies, but damn near all line play is illegal with regards to protecting the head. The first thing you're taught is leverage and the helmets of the OL/DL in an engagement are dropped to try to get lower. Toss in that damn near every interaction includes helmets being smacked, punched, etc. Think of how many times you see hands to the face and how many times you actually see the flag thrown -- it's because the game would have no pace if they called it to the letter. You speak to advancements in helmet tech with sensors. What do you think they're going to see coming from the trenches?

That is another big issue I see occurring -- the actual application of the rules. If they do it right, the game is going to be a continuous sea of yellow flags which will ruin any sort of flow to the game, make them longer, etc. If they ignore certain positions and then those positions end up being the bulk of the suits down the road, they're opening the doors to massive liability issues. Then there is the uneven application of the rules just in general.
    No ads. Name in gold. Enhanced features. Become a Supporting Member for only $15 today!

Supporting Member SycamoreStateofMind's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,134 Times in 1,834 Posts
    Sports have changed a lot over the years. I'm not sure the technology has kept up with kids being just bigger, faster and stronger. I think it's always been a brutal game - but I think the hitting is harder now than ever and the pressure on these athletes to preform has always been high.

I look at Nascar (a struggling sport for various reasons) we've seen some very notable retirements at fairly young ages in the last couple years. Most notably Dale Jr who basically came out and said he was retiring because he was scared for his life. But Gordon, Carl Edwards and Tony Stewart have all stepped away from the sport. I've got to think that those guys gave some consideration to their quality of health/life when walking away from the sport.

I don't have kids yet - but when I do I will strongly encourage them to participate in other sports other than football. I never played the sport myself - but have enjoyed watching it at all levels. I'm not sure that it will ever be completely gone - I don't foresee that at all. But changes will continue to be made to the sport for player safety - it might not benefit the watch-ability of the game - but in the long run if fewer athletes get hurt then it's a good thing.
    Roll Timber!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreStateofMind View Post
    I don't have kids yet - but when I do I will strongly encourage them to participate in other sports other than football. I never played the sport myself - but have enjoyed watching it at all levels. I'm not sure that it will ever be completely gone - I don't foresee that at all. But changes will continue to be made to the sport for player safety - it might not benefit the watch-ability of the game - but in the long run if fewer athletes get hurt then it's a good thing.
    Well make sure you don't have girls, cuz Cheerleading and Gymnastics is more dangerous than Bull Riding.

Cheerleading is in the top three sports for injuries in terms of concussion rates, or 12 concussions per 10,000 injuries.
    http://www.worldsultimate.net/most-dangerous-sports.htm

And according to this site, Track and Field for girls isn't too safe either....like Pole Vaulting, Discus, Shot Put, Hammer, Javelin

https://www.propertycasualty360.com/...rts-in-america

How bout a shout out also for CTE symptons caused by Cheerleading, Gymnastics and Track and Field...ugh.

There are several of these sites on the interrnet with their own statistics, so there are more take-aways or interpretations for others to make.
    a.k.a. The Blue MOSQUITO

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 939 Posts

Register to remove this advertisement
    Spoke with a guy I work with and he is a former high school and college coach. He feels that football will struggle in the coming years to get enough kids to form teams. Said it should be interesting, but fewer and fewer students are playing in the younger leagues due to money and also the risk of injury and he doesn't see that reversing. Ironically, cost is a consideration for many parents and the more you make the game safe with newer technology and equipment the more you raise the cost to play. Kind of a double edged sword.

While I do not have sons, I can say that if I did, it would be very unlikely that I would allow them to play. I would steer them towards other sports.

I think as more and more professional athletes come out and say they either won't allow or will strongly discourage their own kids, grand kids from playing, it will continue to hurt the sport.