Become a Supporting Member to remove this and all other advertisments! Click HERE for more info!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,034 Times in 3,030 Posts

Register to remove this advertisement
    Just want to double down on my prediction, too.

I expect 3 wins but for us to be competitive in all of our conference games. We don't get NDSU this year so I'm not looking to see any 14+ point blowouts provided the team plays cleanly. If we just have a bad day where we turn the ball over 2-3 times, it may happen but for the long term growth of the program, I hope this looks a lot like Trent's 2010 team.
    No ads. Name in gold. Enhanced features. Become a Supporting Member for only $15 today!

Legend
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreStateofMind View Post
    Okay sooooo 1-10. Okay - got - it.
    I don't know enough about EIU and how the MVC looks this year, but between 1-10 and 3-8 on the high end seems reasonable to me.
    Fear the Trees!

Starter
    Thanks
    3-8 this year. 5-6 next year. 8-3 in 2020 with an FCS playoff run. IU realizes the Tom Allen experiment is a bust so they fire him and nab Mallory from us in 2020. Florida Tech wins the 2020 D2 National Championship and we steal Englehart from them.

Sound good?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hooper For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,034 Times in 3,030 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooper View Post
    3-8 this year. 5-6 next year. 8-3 in 2020 with an FCS playoff run. IU realizes the Tom Allen experiment is a bust so they fire him and nab Mallory from us in 2020. Florida Tech wins the 2020 D2 National Championship and we steal Englehart from them.

Sound good?
    I'll pass.

If Mallory gets us to 8 wins, I'd like to see him win at that pace or better for a couple years before he bolts for a payday.
    No ads. Name in gold. Enhanced features. Become a Supporting Member for only $15 today!

Thanks
    Eiu playing Arkansas on the SEC network right now.

Thanks
    Eiu playikg Arkansas on The SEC network right now

Thanks
    Does anyone want to add an additional win to their prediction

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to niklz62 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Ok, here's my predictions and prior to the season I thought we would win 2-4 games.
    I think we will LOSE one of the following games:
    EIU
    SIU
    Missouri St (MSU just doesnt seem right to type)
    YSU
    WIU
    I think we will WIN one of the following games:
    Louisville (99.9999% loss)
    UNI
    SDSU
    IL St (I almost have them in the other column)
    USD

the top of this is all games that I think are winnable and the bottom are ones that I think may be better with ILSt as the exception and Im just not sure on them. This makes us winning 6 games but I think that may be a little high. If we get steamrolled by EIU, I would change my mind back to 2 wins.

EDIT: 1 or 2 injuries could put us at 1 win, but that's our team for the foreseeable future. we will have to build a program that has starter quality backups

EDIT 2: I think we could lose 2 from the first list. 6 wins may be a little high. I think 5 wins would be a successful season. Id like to see 6 wins.
    Last edited by niklz62; 09-06-2018 at 09:13 AM.

Benchwarmer
    Thanks
    Candidly, a great deal has changed since the season started. The strength of the team was suppose to be the defense with five 2nd team defensive players on the All-MVFC honors list (https://gosycamores.com/news/2018/7/...ve-honors.aspx). However, it was the offense that won the day at EIU.

The remainder of the season, we've got to stay balanced on offense. Mallory wants a run oriented offense and knows he has a solid OL, but you've got to pass to get 7/8 defenders out of the box, also to convert 3rd downs. There are a couple games (like UNI and Ill State) where we have to pass to even have a chance - both of those teams have very good front 7 defenders. Playing clean will also be key. Indiana State turned the ball over far too often and was anemic on 3rd down last year. Thus far, this has been a huge improvement. Then, there is the D. Our past D needs to improve asap. Need to switch things up too - run and pass blitzes, press coverage, use Jonas off the edge, etc. Special teams...wow, definitely need to improve as well. The team is young and not very deep so staying healthy will be very important. All that said, this is a good team and I'm projecting a 7-4 record and possible play-off appearance! Here's the projected record with my rose colored glasses...

Quincy - A nice and must win for the Trees, but let's be honest, they were a sub-par D2 team, and it was difficult to judge future the Trees from that game. WIN

Louisville - Just a weird game. Everyone predicted a slaughter, but it was close through 3 quarters. Did the rain keep it close or is Louisville not that good. Frankly, I'd like that game back on a sunny day and with a more balanced offensive strategy. LOSS

Eastern Illinois - With a bad Arkansas team putting up 55 and Illinois State 48 on EIU, I thought we might be in trouble if we couldn't outscore them. Turns out that the offense did just that and could be the strength of the team. A balanced attack and an overpowering OL and red hot running back saved the day. WIN

UNI - They had a slow start versus Montana, but almost came back to win. The Montana offense only mustered 75 rushing yards vs UNI and 55 of those were from a scrambling QB. Montana had to throw to win. UNI played Iowa last week and while they lost big, UNI's front seven played the run very well. Iowa had 200 yards rushing, but on 50 tough carries. Iowa was able to throw at will. The Trees will have to throw to win; and I think the coaches know it. WIN 27-24

SDS - Sure, they put up 90 against Ark Pine-Bluff and 45 vs Montana St. Yawn. We'll see what they are made of this weekend vs NDSU. Unfortunately, our D won't be able to handle their offense. LOSS 45-24

Mo State - I had this as a win at the beginning of the season, but with Mo State slaughtering #20 Northern AZ had me concerned. Upon further review, Mo State's defense ended the day allowing 431 yards and gaining six turnovers on really sloppy play by NoAZ. The Mo State QB was 11-of-28 passing for 144 yards, a touchdown and four interceptions. Geez, what a sloppy game. A balanced, clean game from the Trees and we've got this one. WIN 38-28

Southern Ill - Well, they beat a really bad Murray State, lost to SEC's Ole Miss and then lost to SEMO. They appear to be improved, but we have improved more. I believe our D will rise to the occasion and our offense will start to hit it's stride by mid-season. WIN 42-35

YTS - Hmm. They lost to basketball powerhouse Butler, then to a great WV team. The Valpariso win tells us very little. This week's game versus W.Ill will be a litmus test. Trees play clean and win in a close one. WIN 24-21

South Dakota. Chris Streveler threaded us last year, but Simmons is no Streveler. However, SD has played the toughest schedule in the MVC thus far with losses to KSU and a good Weber State team. Tree will make it close, but lose in a heart breaker. LOSS 45-42

Illinois State - Redbirds appear to be good again this year. St. Xavier told us nothing. EIU win was interesting. If we can stay healthy, we've got a chance here and win a close one. LOSS 24-21

Western Ill - Hopefully our pass defense has things corrected by now as their offense tries to control the game with a short passing attack (see EIU). However, Sean McGuire makes his mistakes (4 interceptions thus far). WIN 31-24

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ktulu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 783 Posts

Register to remove this advertisement
    Quote Originally Posted by Ktulu View Post
    Candidly, a great deal has changed since the season started. The strength of the team was suppose to be the defense with five 2nd team defensive players on the All-MVFC honors list (https://gosycamores.com/news/2018/7/...ve-honors.aspx). However, it was the offense that won the day at EIU.

The remainder of the season, we've got to stay balanced on offense. Mallory wants a run oriented offense and knows he has a solid OL, but you've got to pass to get 7/8 defenders out of the box, also to convert 3rd downs. There are a couple games (like UNI and Ill State) where we have to pass to even have a chance - both of those teams have very good front 7 defenders. Playing clean will also be key. Indiana State turned the ball over far too often and was anemic on 3rd down last year. Thus far, this has been a huge improvement. Then, there is the D. Our past D needs to improve asap. Need to switch things up too - run and pass blitzes, press coverage, use Jonas off the edge, etc. Special teams...wow, definitely need to improve as well. The team is young and not very deep so staying healthy will be very important. All that said, this is a good team and I'm projecting a 7-4 record and possible play-off appearance! Here's the projected record with my rose colored glasses...

Quincy - A nice and must win for the Trees, but let's be honest, they were a sub-par D2 team, and it was difficult to judge future the Trees from that game. WIN

Louisville - Just a weird game. Everyone predicted a slaughter, but it was close through 3 quarters. Did the rain keep it close or is Louisville not that good. Frankly, I'd like that game back on a sunny day and with a more balanced offensive strategy. LOSS

Eastern Illinois - With a bad Arkansas team putting up 55 and Illinois State 48 on EIU, I thought we might be in trouble if we couldn't outscore them. Turns out that the offense did just that and could be the strength of the team. A balanced attack and an overpowering OL and red hot running back saved the day. WIN

UNI - They had a slow start versus Montana, but almost came back to win. The Montana offense only mustered 75 rushing yards vs UNI and 55 of those were from a scrambling QB. Montana had to throw to win. UNI played Iowa last week and while they lost big, UNI's front seven played the run very well. Iowa had 200 yards rushing, but on 50 tough carries. Iowa was able to throw at will. The Trees will have to throw to win; and I think the coaches know it. WIN 27-24

SDS - Sure, they put up 90 against Ark Pine-Bluff and 45 vs Montana St. Yawn. We'll see what they are made of this weekend vs NDSU. Unfortunately, our D won't be able to handle their offense. LOSS 45-24

Mo State - I had this as a win at the beginning of the season, but with Mo State slaughtering #20 Northern AZ had me concerned. Upon further review, Mo State's defense ended the day allowing 431 yards and gaining six turnovers on really sloppy play by NoAZ. The Mo State QB was 11-of-28 passing for 144 yards, a touchdown and four interceptions. Geez, what a sloppy game. A balanced, clean game from the Trees and we've got this one. WIN 38-28

Southern Ill - Well, they beat a really bad Murray State, lost to SEC's Ole Miss and then lost to SEMO. They appear to be improved, but we have improved more. I believe our D will rise to the occasion and our offense will start to hit it's stride by mid-season. WIN 42-35

YTS - Hmm. They lost to basketball powerhouse Butler, then to a great WV team. The Valpariso win tells us very little. This week's game versus W.Ill will be a litmus test. Trees play clean and win in a close one. WIN 24-21

South Dakota. Chris Streveler threaded us last year, but Simmons is no Streveler. However, SD has played the toughest schedule in the MVC thus far with losses to KSU and a good Weber State team. Tree will make it close, but lose in a heart breaker. LOSS 45-42

Illinois State - Redbirds appear to be good again this year. St. Xavier told us nothing. EIU win was interesting. If we can stay healthy, we've got a chance here and win a close one. LOSS 24-21

Western Ill - Hopefully our pass defense has things corrected by now as their offense tries to control the game with a short passing attack (see EIU). However, Sean McGuire makes his mistakes (4 interceptions thus far). WIN 31-24
    That was a great read. Thanks for taking the time to post that! I hope it goes down just the way you predict!!!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to IndyTreeFan For This Useful Post: