Become a Supporting Member to remove this and all other advertisments! Click HERE for more info!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Register to remove this advertisement
    ive seen teams run up the middle trying to run the clock out and go for 80 yard touchdowns. my biggest concern would be that players get injured not playing 100%.

Legend
    Thanks
    Even the SDSU coach acknowledged he should have done a better job of managing the game. I think in that situation you run, and if you break through for TD after TD, then OK, but they threw for two of those 4th quarter touchdowns. Even if they were quick outs, that's a bit much. It's 3rd and 12 and you're up 83-6, just run the ball. Show some class. A lot of teams, once they get to 60 or 70 in a blowout, shut it all down and keep the runs very straightforward and vanilla.

I think it's also fair to question them scheduling that team in the first place, which some of their fans did. That's like an FCS team playing a high school team. We had some teams that bad, some opponents ran up the score, but no one ever neared 80 or 90, from what I recall.
    Fear the Trees!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,034 Times in 3,030 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bent20 View Post
    Even the SDSU coach acknowledged he should have done a better job of managing the game. I think in that situation you run, and if you break through for TD after TD, then OK, but they threw for two of those 4th quarter touchdowns. Even if they were quick outs, that's a bit much. It's 3rd and 12 and you're up 83-6, just run the ball. Show some class. A lot of teams, once they get to 60 or 70 in a blowout, shut it all down and keep the runs very straightforward and vanilla.

I think it's also fair to question them scheduling that team in the first place, which some of their fans did. That's like an FCS team playing a high school team. We had some teams that bad, some opponents ran up the score, but no one ever neared 80 or 90, from what I recall.
    Same could be said with the majority of FCS schools scheduling money games against FBS opponents. It happens.

Lots of blame to go around here but if it were truly SDSU's third string and they're out there to get PT and learn, I can't fault QB3 for doing what he has been taught. From what I read, the last two TDs were RPOs to RBs in the backfield. If that is the case, that is much different then going bombs away.

The days of getting up 49-0 and then just running the FB dive right into the ass of the center/guard are over. Most teams don't even have fullbacks anymore.
    Last edited by Jason Svoboda; 09-21-2018 at 02:53 PM.
    No ads. Name in gold. Enhanced features. Become a Supporting Member for only $15 today!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Svoboda View Post
    Same could be said with the majority of FCS schools scheduling money games against FBS opponents. It happens.

Lots of blame to go around here but if it were truly SDSU's third string and they're out there to get PT and learn, I can't fault QB3 for doing what he has been taught. From what I read, the last two TDs were RPOs to RBs in the backfield. If that is the case, that is much different then going bombs away.

The days of getting up 49-0 and then just running the FB dive right into the ass of the center/guard are over. Most teams don't even have fullbacks anymore.
    and a TD in a college game may be the 9th receivers only dream and might possibly never happen if not given that chance

Legend
    Thanks
    According to this article, scoring 90 points in a game is actually extremely rare in the modern era.

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-...91wgjcjbihnd5d

Their 80 point club (they didn't list one for 90):

Arkansas State 83, Texas Southern 10 (Sept. 6, 2008)

No. 6 Wisconsin 83, Indiana 20 (Nov. 13, 2010)

No. 10 TCU 82, Texas Tech 27 (Oct. 25, 2014)

West Virginia 80, Rutgers 7 (Nov. 3, 2001)

No. 2 Florida State 80, Idaho 14 (Nov. 23, 2013)

North Carolina 80, Old Dominion 20 (Nov. 23, 2013)

No. 19 Texas Tech 80, Sam Houston State 21 (Sept. 17, 2005)

100 point blowout wins (I couldn't find quick numbers for 90, but since it's close ...) are actually less common today than back when teams ran more.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...llege_football
    Fear the Trees!

All-American
    Thanks
    Not fair for backup QB to not get to throw the ball just because the other team can't play defense.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreinTexas View Post
    Not fair for backup QB to not get to throw the ball just because the other team can't play defense.

You may be right, or not. If the guys on the field at the end of the game were at the otton or not even on the depth chart I agree. If the guys on the field were at the top, I have problems with it.

Still, the bottom lie is if you don't like getting beat get better.
    Sycamore Proud

Let's go Sycamores!
    Proud to be a member of the OFC

My comments and ideas are free, but it costs money to run Sycamore Pride. Please be a Supporting Member!

Legend
    Thanks

Register to remove this advertisement
    Quote Originally Posted by Sycamore Proud View Post
    Still, the bottom lie is if you don't like getting beat get better.
    Or don't, if you're Indiana State.
    Fear the Trees!