Become a Supporting Member to remove this and all other advertisments! Click HERE for more info!
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,062 Times in 3,045 Posts

Indiana State receives national diversity award

Register to remove this advertisement
    The HEED Award is a national honor recognizing U.S. colleges and universities that demonstrate an outstanding commitment to diversity and inclusion.

More...

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I hate the use of the word "inclusion." It sounds so much like a snowflake word, and we should not be practicing it. I feel like it's the opposite of colorblind. At work we had to take diversity classes, and I never did understand the purpose of it.
    Last edited by sycamorebacker; 09-25-2018 at 08:31 AM.

All-American
    Thanks
    That was a pretty long article that said almost nothing. What I took from it was that we are a great organization and you are lucky we called your name.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,062 Times in 3,045 Posts
    Indiana State has long been focused on giving first-generation and low income students opportunities to get a college education. Pretty sure that is the diversity and inclusion being talked about in this instance. They also, arguably to the detriment of their outcome data, keep those kids around if they struggle and try to mold them into productive, successful students.
    No ads. Name in gold. Enhanced features. Become a Supporting Member for only $15 today!

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Svoboda View Post
    Indiana State has long been focused on giving first-generation and low income students opportunities to get a college education. Pretty sure that is the diversity and inclusion being talked about in this instance. They also, arguably to the detriment of their outcome data, keep those kids around if they struggle and try to mold them into productive, successful students.
    That'a all fine.

I thought "inclusion" usually means having clubs and activities for Blacks, Muslims and Gays. Extra benefits for anyone that's not a white male.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,283 Times in 790 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Svoboda View Post
    Many of their issues with state appropriations are tied directly to giving low performing students, many of whom are this targeted demographic, chance after chance after chance. It's killing ISU's graduation rates, which means less money from the State. Dr. Curtis has made statements that allude to the idea that she's committed to changing this. Time will tell...
    Last edited by IndyTreeFan; 09-25-2018 at 11:01 AM.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    We need to de-emphasize college educations and promote skilled trades. I believe we have a shortage of electric lineman and a huge shortage of truck drivers, as examples. Our kids need more training and they are not getting it. We have millions of young men and women applying for jobs that are not trained or qualified to do anything.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sycamorebacker For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Register to remove this advertisement
    Quote Originally Posted by sycamorebacker View Post
    We need to de-emphasize college educations and promote skilled trades. I believe we have a shortage of electric lineman and a huge shortage of truck drivers, as examples. Our kids need more training and they are not getting it. We have millions of young men and women applying for jobs that are not trained or qualified to do anything.
    And while we are doing this, we desperately need to instill a work ethic!
    Sycamore Proud

Let's go Sycamores!
    Proud to be a member of the OFC

My comments and ideas are free, but it costs money to run Sycamore Pride. Please be a Supporting Member!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sycamore Proud For This Useful Post: