Become a Supporting Member to remove this and all other advertisments! Click HERE for more info!
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,062 Times in 3,045 Posts

NCAA introduces proposal that could curb graduate transfers

Register to remove this advertisement
    http://footballscoop.com/news/ncaa-i...ate-transfers/

Personally, I like the rule.

The graduate transfer was put in place to help athletes that have had their four years get a fifth AND work towards a graduate degree. Instead, it became the backdoor hired gun rule for those that redshirted at their first school. These kids are likely fringe NFL players at best as they'd have already left for the league otherwise. The goal should be to get these young men advanced degrees and this is what the NCAA is trying to do.

The fact of the matter is these kids come in and basically stop going to classes once football season starts or once their first grades are in because the season will be over by the time the semester wraps. This has been a running joke on pretty much any team forum and I'm pretty sure the NCAA has outcomes data that matches this -- very few kids end up with their master's degree.
    No ads. Name in gold. Enhanced features. Become a Supporting Member for only $15 today!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,109 Times in 692 Posts
    Very interesting. This has potential ramifications with our men's basketball team, too.

I have no idea if Q Davis finished his degree. I'm assuming he did, but I don't know for sure. I also have no idea what kind of student Holston is...I hope a good one. We've been on the accepting end of graduate transfers lately, so we would need to watch ourselves here closely. I don't see how it affects us in terms of football at all, but I'm not as tuned in to the football roster comings and goings as I am with basketball.

There's another interesting proposal in the article:

Elsewhere, the NCAA Transfer Working Group offered a proposal that would allow student-athletes who have enrolled in summer school to transfer and play immediately should their head coach depart before the first day of fall classes.

That could very much slow down the coaching movement we see in college sports. If a coach plans to take a new job, he better be prepared to lose a lot of players at his new school in the process. And, he better get some assurances of patience from his new school since the roster could be bare bones upon arrival.

Benchwarmer
    Thanks
    During the recruiting progress these student-athletes do their best to get a true sense of the academic program, the coaches, the campus, and how the entire program fits them as an individual. These kids make a commitment to a football program and really have no idea what is in store for them. These kids are promised the world and the coaches are not always -straight- with them. And, so they make a commitment for 4 or 5 years. Things may or may not go their way. Coaches may stay or go (if they go, they never have restrictions). Whatever the case, if the student graduates, IMO they have fulfilled their commitment to the school, the coach, and the football program. Once the student-athlete graduates, they should be able to ATTEND any school they want...or that wants them. And, they have graduated - they earned a four year undergraduate degree. That's huge.

The NCAA needs to make the rules student-athlete friendly. Personally, I think the graduate transfer rule is outstanding, and the only things that needs to change is the word "transfer" in the title of the rule, and it should be further opened up. Think about it...

Let's say you aren't an athlete and you have obtained a four year degree and you want to further your studies to make you as valuable as possible in the job market. You aren't a transfer at that point....your a student hoping to get admitted into a grad school. It's not a slam dunk that you'll be admitted...you have to qualify...usually you need to do well on a GRE or possibly the GMAT, LSAT, MCAT depending on the degree and typically need to have a 3.0 GPA in your undergrad. In short, you have to do well in your undergrad to be admitted to grad school. You transfer ZERO credits. It should be called the Graduate Rule and it should be used as a reward for attaining a degree. Instead, the NCAA is further limiting the options of these scholars. Hell, some programs actually restrict where a student-athlete can graduate transfer (e.g. an SEC coach would prevent the student-athlete from "transferring within the SEC) which is BS considering the student-athlete fulfilled their commitment and graduated.

As it pertains to Indiana State football, I believe the Sycamores presently have two graduate transfer student-athletes,Tate Leavitt only has one year of eligibility but will stay on until he graduates and Ryan Boyle graduated from Iowa in 3 years so he has two remaining, so should earn his degree. A program like Indiana State needs to be very open to grad transfers, especially at this transitional re-building stage as players like those guys (starting QB and Left tackle) can make a huge impact in transforming a program.

Moving forward, Indiana State is still young, but will graduate 10 seniors - many are starters and all are contributors. The defense loses DB's Green, Walker, Jones and Simervil and DL's Powell and Mosely; and MLB Moss. On offense, we lose starters RB Keys and OL Leavitt (ouch) and OL Sowards. Mallory needs to hit the Transfer and Graduate markets very strategically.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ktulu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,062 Times in 3,045 Posts

Register to remove this advertisement
    Quote Originally Posted by Ktulu View Post
    Let's say you aren't an athlete and you have obtained a four year degree and you want to further your studies to make you as valuable as possible in the job market. You aren't a transfer at that point....your a student hoping to get admitted into a grad school. It's not a slam dunk that you'll be admitted...you have to qualify...usually you need to do well on a GRE or possibly the GMAT, LSAT, MCAT depending on the degree and typically need to have a 3.0 GPA in your undergrad. In short, you have to do well in your undergrad to be admitted to grad school. You transfer ZERO credits. It should be called the Graduate Rule and it should be used as a reward for attaining a degree. Instead, the NCAA is further limiting the options of these scholars. Hell, some programs actually restrict where a student-athlete can graduate transfer (e.g. an SEC coach would prevent the student-athlete from "transferring within the SEC) which is BS considering the student-athlete fulfilled their commitment and graduated.
    If the student-athletes had to go the same route of their traditional peers, would they even get admitted? Some would, but my guess is many would not looking at the NCAA's academic data. If you want to remove the transfer word, then let them stand up on their own academic merits and have the same entrance requirements. Then, once that is settled, if they're admitted, the sport can pay for it. I think the transfer word is what allows them to bypass having to take the admittance exams, forego campus interviews, etc. It can cut both ways and that is why I think it is good as is -- because it is getting access and opportunity to folks that otherwise would likely not have it.

When originally rolled out, you were supposed to only be able to transfer to a school that had a program that your current school did not have. That is what should be changed IMO. Kids should be able to transfer to any institution and into any academic program they wish. If a kid wants an MBA, I'm not faulting him for trying to transfer to a school that has a better ranked MBA program than his current school. BUT, and this is where I'm not okay with the rule because it is being admittedly abused, he had damn better earn that degree. It is different if said player gets drafted and leaves for the NFL/NBA, but if he is not drafted, he should be on that campus validating that transfer and making the most of that opportunity.

The last data I could find scattered through some articles mentioned graduate transfers in basketball and football completing degrees at a 40-55% clip in various years. Considering the NCAA had made huge inroads with undergrad graduation rates, I can understand why they aren't happy with this.
    No ads. Name in gold. Enhanced features. Become a Supporting Member for only $15 today!