Become a Supporting Member to remove this and all other advertisments! Click HERE for more info!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Register to remove this advertisement
    I have no problem with this anniversary celebration dealio.

Milk that '79 accomplishment for all it's worth.

And doing so against an MVC team that was in the Final Four one season prior, on national tv...excellent!

Maybe Larry will appear. Maybe not. All the social media happenings leading up to the event sound pretty cool too.

I mean, I guess ISU could just do nothing about this 40th anniversary. But I prefer the "doing something" take on it.
    March on, you fighting Sycamores, Sycamores

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TreeTop For This Useful Post:

Starter
    Thanks
    The sad part is we didn't milk it enough when we had the chance due to administrative incompetence. Landini even admitted as much.

What happened to the program? "You seize the day, and we did not," said Richard Landini, president of Indiana State. "We did not build upon that reputation, that extraordinary three years of Bird. It was a combination of inexperience, a lack of vision at the time."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...=.086d15a5d892

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hooper For This Useful Post:

All-Conference
    Thanks
    Rick Semmler confirmed #33 will be there.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SycamoreBlue3209 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,554 Times in 924 Posts
    I think the idea of tweeting all of the big events of the season as if Twitter existed back then is a unique touch. I know not everyone is on it, but for those who are it will be a nice build up to the game/reunion itself.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bluethunder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreBlue3209 View Post
    Rick Semmler confirmed #33 will be there.

Assuming that's true, then I'd say: Hodges AND Bird...this is getting to be pretty freakin' great!
    Last edited by TreeTop; 10-10-2018 at 12:32 PM.
    March on, you fighting Sycamores, Sycamores

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TreeTop For This Useful Post:

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,028 Times in 609 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TreeTop View Post

Assuming that's true, then I'd say: Hodges AND Bird...this is getting to be pretty freakin' great!
    Glad to hear Larry and Coach Hodges are coming. How cool would it be to get Magic to come. That would create quite a buzz. The 40th anniversary is a big deal and if we hadn't planned something, people would be bitching about that. Plus, none of these guys are getting any younger. It's fair to say some might not be around in another 10 years.

All-Conference
    Thanks
    For sure, obviously no ones getting any younger, but hope for the 50th they get a reunion game with Sparty.

Thanks

40th Anniversary Celebration For 1979 Final Four Team Set For January 19

TERRE HAUTE, Ind. -- It's hard to believe but this upcoming Indiana State Basketball season marks the 40th anniversary of when the Sycamores went 33-1 and became the last Missouri Valley Conference team to qualify for the NCAA Championship Game when they went on to face Michigan State in "The Game That Changed The Game."

More...

Thanks
    Thanked 5,062 Times in 3,045 Posts

Register to remove this advertisement
    If State does not have an anniversary apparel line planned with Under Armor, they are really missing out on a big opportunity.

If I'm not mistaken, we were with Nike when the 20 year hit and there was a Michigan State/Indiana State throwback line available at places like Champs that included throwback powder blue jerseys, shorts and a couple shirts. I know because I bought all of it and wore it religiously playing pickup in the arena and outdoor at Wolfe Field.

Those were my favorite State shorts ever as they had a huge Sycamore patch sewn on the leg and they were super comfortable. I think I may have cried when the logo faded and I had to toss them. Just for reference, here is what the set looked like:

No ads. Name in gold. Enhanced features. Become a Supporting Member for only $15 today!

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jason Svoboda For This Useful Post: