Become a Supporting Member to remove this and all other advertisments! Click HERE for more info!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

40th Anniversary Celebration For 1979 Final Four Team Set For January 19

Register to remove this advertisement

It's hard to believe but this upcoming Indiana State Basketball season marks the 40th anniversary of when the Sycamores went 33-1 and became the last Missouri Valley Conference Team to qualify for the NCAA Championship Game when they went to on to face Michigan State in the "The Game That Changed The Game."

More...

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Ok so I know I haven't posted for a while so you can keep all those remarks not listening. But you have to ask yourself honestly who will really show up? Bob Heaton (is this an election year for him?) Maybe Carl Nick's and a couple of other players like Eric Curry , Brad Miley goes to every game so that's a no brainer . I guess the question I am asking is how many times are they going to have this particular reunion? Seems like it happens every year. Is this the only team to have success at Indiana State? Where are the reunions for the 2001 teams etc. ? I understand this is the greatest team I will ever see at Indiana State but to beat a horse this many times takes away from the significance of their achievement. Here is what will happen these couple of guys will show up.... Fans may show up expecting to see Larry he won't show up and the fan base or what's left of it will go home disappointed. Not being a Debbie Downer but have seen this particular reunion of this team at least 4 times in the past ten years. I think it's time to honor the 2011 team as many of us old folks have seen this team reunion several times times.
    ROLL TIMBER

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Daveinth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveinth View Post
    Ok so I know I haven't posted for a while so you can keep all those remarks not listening. But you have to ask yourself honestly who will really show up? Bob Heaton (is this an election year for him?) Maybe Carl Nick's and a couple of other players like Eric Curry , Brad Miley goes to every game so that's a no brainer . I guess the question I am asking is how many times are they going to have this particular reunion? Seems like it happens every year. Is this the only team to have success at Indiana State? Where are the reunions for the 2001 teams etc. ? I understand this is the greatest team I will ever see at Indiana State but to beat a horse this many times takes away from the significance of their achievement. Here is what will happen these couple of guys will show up.... Fans may show up expecting to see Larry he won't show up and the fan base or what's left of it will go home disappointed. Not being a Debbie Downer but have seen this particular reunion of this team at least 4 times in the past ten years. I think it's time to honor the 2011 team as many of us old folks have seen this team reunion several times times.
    I asked another alum the same question, i.e., how many times are they going to honor this team, yes, it's a great accomplishment, but it does seem like it gets done about every year now

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveinth View Post
    Before we get all giddy and have a reunion for the 2011 team, the 2000 and 2001 team that also went to the NCAA Tournament, AND ACTUALLY WON a NCAA tournament game, should be recognized 1st.

Plus, what is Odum's LEGAL status after his ARREST, just two months ago. And with your #metoo movement in full force, a former standout who was harassing women patrons at a Terre Haute Bar, will NOT pass the taste test for a 2011 anniversary....anytime soon.

But to get back to this reunion, I'm with you, stick a fork in it, drive a wooden stake through the heart of it, let it go. We've had THREE NCAA appearances since then, and we've yet to really recognize those teams. Heck, if we're going to have an anniversary celebration, have one for the 1950 team that actually won an NCAA CHAMPIONSHIP...that makes about as much since as having a anniversary celebration for this team.

Plus, as I mentioned just a few years ago, MOST of the people who probably watched this team ARE NOW DEAD. There were tons of fans from FORTY YEARS ago who were in their 80's, 70's, 60's, 50's, 40's and 30's. Those fans are now in there 120's, 110's, 100's, 90's, 80's, 70' and 60's! So how many people are left to celebrate the 40 year anniversary? NOT MANY.
    a.k.a. The Blue MOSQUITO

All-Conference
    Thanks
    Interesting take on this by many of you.....I would hope that clink has commitments from at least most of the stars of '79 to be there --- including Bird.

By the way, what's happened now that keeps him away. He stated when they dedicated the statute he would be coming back much more often ….perhaps I missed something the last few years ….seemed like at the time things went pretty well (was a disappointing crowd that day for the game though).
    So is he upset again about something ? No time ? ISU tried to get big $$$$ from him again ?
    What ??????

Anyway, I'm planning to be there -- hope Loyola is ranked in the Top Ten, we have a great record, and there's 8000 -- 9000 in the stands.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I'm still here.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotta Hav View Post
    Before we get all giddy and have a reunion for the 2011 team, the 2000 and 2001 team that also went to the NCAA Tournament, AND ACTUALLY WON a NCAA tournament game, should be recognized 1st..
    I believe I called for that first ..... Boy oh Boy that Red Tide must be getting to your brain or maybe its that $1000 you keep winning and a guy cant even get a free breakfast from you ......
    ROLL TIMBER

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Daveinth For This Useful Post:

All-Conference
    Thanks
    Parsons ---- you're still "where" ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,062 Times in 3,045 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Westbadenboy View Post
    Parsons ---- you're still "where" ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
    Alive and kicking having watched the Bird teams.
    No ads. Name in gold. Enhanced features. Become a Supporting Member for only $15 today!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,062 Times in 3,045 Posts

Register to remove this advertisement
    I understand how most of you feel, but the school will continue to milk this until the end of time.

Fact of the matter is whenever the "greatest" college games or teams are brought up, or they talk about what turned college basketball into a juggernaut, they always point to Magic vs Bird. It's literally the only thing the administration has to market because of how little investment has gone into the program since that point in time.

Expect to see this every 10 years like clockwork. You can't argue with it, either. It's literally how Indiana State gets any ESPN or college hoops coverage unless we're having a really good season.
    No ads. Name in gold. Enhanced features. Become a Supporting Member for only $15 today!

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jason Svoboda For This Useful Post: