Become a Supporting Member to remove this and all other advertisments! Click HERE for more info!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Supporting Member SycamoreStateofMind's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,078 Times in 1,796 Posts

Register to remove this advertisement
    Quote Originally Posted by sycamore tuff View Post
    I am optimistic that we can win this year. I have a good feeling that we will have a better team than last year. Will we have a winning record. Not sure but I think we will. Maybe 5th in the valley.
    I could see us falling 4th through 8th - so I will go with 6th. I just don't think Lansing's teams do the little things on a regular enough basis to finish higher than 4th unless they just out talent people which I don't think will be the case. It's the lack of attention to detail on the little things that concerns me. Those things have a tendency to catch up with you in close games and as the season goes on.
    Roll Timber!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,122 Times in 702 Posts
    KenPom is my go-to source for information once the season gets underway. It's a great place to find advanced statistics and he does a great job breaking down conference games once we get that far into the season.

But for preseason rankings, this means just about as much as the writers' poll. Before the games begin, KenPom has just as much of an idea what'll happen in the MVC this year as anyone on this forum.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TreeTop View Post
    Here's another MVC Preview, nicely done as far as I'm concerned...

https://www.three-man-weave.com/3mw/...l-preview-2019

From late Sept.
    Bumping this, instead of starting a whole new thread for it...I think the breakdown for each team is as good as any out there (in terms of Pre-Season MVC info).
    March on, you fighting Sycamores, Sycamores

Thanks
    Thanked 5,154 Times in 3,094 Posts

Register to remove this advertisement
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokerZ View Post
    KenPom is my go-to source for information once the season gets underway. It's a great place to find advanced statistics and he does a great job breaking down conference games once we get that far into the season.

But for preseason rankings, this means just about as much as the writers' poll. Before the games begin, KenPom has just as much of an idea what'll happen in the MVC this year as anyone on this forum.
    Agreed. Unlike those though, his alg is designed to be entirely predictive. His preseason rankings I believe only take into account what is coming back and analyze it across the NCAA schedule. That is why if you go to his page, only the first few columns have numerical values. I think some people don't get that.

Looking specifically at us, his alg thinks we will have the 196th best offense and 110th best defense. I feel like our offense should be net positive over last year so I like to use it as a barometer of "if things stayed about level" -- so 150 is slightly above average considering we're up to 353 D1 teams now.

What I take away from his rankings is that if we want to sniff any postseason tournaments, we need to see offensive efficiency improvement this year.
    No ads. Name in gold. Enhanced features. Become a Supporting Member for only $15 today!