Become a Supporting Member to remove this and all other advertisments! Click HERE for more info!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks

Register to remove this advertisement
    At the SIU game Saturday I was sitting in the middle of SIU fans about a section from where our fans were. I heard one ask where ISU was and someone said "Terre Haute, Its where Larry Bird went". then I scowled at my wife.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 615 Posts
    Here's my 2 cents. I remember when Greg Gibson came up with the plan to tear down the old Terre Haute House and build the new hotel. I was first skeptical of his plan and also disappointed that we were losing a historic building. But, after some thought, I realized it was the only way for the downtown to move forward. Now, several years later, the downtown is nearly unrecognizable to those who have been away for years, and in a good way. It's easy to think that all Greg is in it for is the money, but I don't believe that's true. He could easily make more money in Arizona or Colorado or Texas or any other state he does business in. It looks to me like he wants to make Terre Haute a better place. Nobody likes to see a road closed. But, sometimes it's the price of progress. I for one, am excited to see what downtown looks like in a couple years with a new Hulman Center, new convention center, new museum and new hotel. Now, we just need to find a way to get these students to get out of their dorms and support the local businesses. By the way, I don't know Greg and sure he's never heard of me. This is just the opinion of a guy who loves Terre Haute and wants to see good things happen here, and at ISU.
    Last edited by meistro; 10-23-2018 at 10:52 PM.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to meistro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by niklz62 View Post
    At the SIU game Saturday I was sitting in the middle of SIU fans about a section from where our fans were. I heard one ask where ISU was and someone said "Terre Haute, Its where Larry Bird went". then I scowled at my wife.
    kinda funny, but very sad at the same time
    Sycamore Proud

Let's go Sycamores!
    Proud to be a member of the OFC

My comments and ideas are free, but it costs money to run Sycamore Pride. Please be a Supporting Member!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,571 Times in 934 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Svoboda View Post
    Just to show you the amount of allure surrounding Bird, the story about him getting a museum has been all over the news today. Saw it on my Alexa Home device when I was getting ready for work in the kitchen.
    Which makes you wonder why the hell State didn't do something like this years ago!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluethunder View Post
    Which makes you wonder why the hell State didn't do something like this years ago!

Perhaps LB and TH are more amica that LB and IS were?
    Sycamore Proud

Let's go Sycamores!
    Proud to be a member of the OFC

My comments and ideas are free, but it costs money to run Sycamore Pride. Please be a Supporting Member!

Supporting Member SycamoreStateofMind's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,078 Times in 1,796 Posts
    And to be clear "State" still didn't do something like this... This is the CIB (notably Gibson) doing this and completely unaffiliated from Indiana State. I'm sure they've got some memorabilia that might be displayed in the museum but this is a separate entity taking advantage of the missed opportunity of Indiana State to build a Convention Center / Hulman Center / Museum all in once facility - can you imagine!

Gibson has more political influence than people realize. Behind closed doors he was having conversations with state political leaders about who would be our next University President. He and Gov. Eric Holcomb seem to be fairly well aligned. But as was said above 3 to 5 years from now you could have a lot of new developments in downtown Terre Haute and that is a really cool thing.

- New Convention Center

- New Larry Bird Museum

- New Hotel

- New Parking Garage

- New Vestibule on The HC

I could also see another new restaurant/bar downtown as a result of these projects.
    Last edited by SycamoreStateofMind; 10-24-2018 at 10:11 AM.
    Roll Timber!

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SycamoreStateofMind For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Svoboda View Post
    Just to show you the amount of allure surrounding Bird, the story about him getting a museum has been all over the news today. Saw it on my Alexa Home device when I was getting ready for work in the kitchen.
    I saw it on a local Chicago station yesterday, too.

When I lived in Boston (15 years ago), people I met talked about how they wanted to visit Terre Haute, to see Bird's hallowed grounds.
    March on, you fighting Sycamores, Sycamores

Starter
    Thanks
    Because President Landini was clueless when it came to athletics and marketing.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to WOZ For This Useful Post:

Supporting Member SycamoreStateofMind's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,078 Times in 1,796 Posts
    https://www.indystar.com/story/news/...C4R07UEhyeZnQc

Gibson should stop immediately - I hate it when we get press for positive developments in Terre Haute! This is awful - all for his own benefit.
    Roll Timber!

Sixth Man
    Thanks

Register to remove this advertisement
    As mentioned in another thread, I just spent 5-1/2 months on an assignment living in TH in the Deming Center. Downtown is enjoying a resurgence and will be a cultural draw. The Swope was voted one of the top 10 art galleries located in a smaller community in the US. On a side-note, with the new LB museum being constructed in front of HC, will ISU leave the LB statue in it's current location? Since it's unveiling it's been the cornerstone of HC.