Become a Supporting Member to remove this and all other advertisments! Click HERE for more info!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks

Register to remove this advertisement
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Svoboda View Post
    Personally, I'd go to Indiana over Illinois if I were him. Better facilities, he has Indiana high school coaches loving him and those kids not being plucked by Notre Dame would likely stay in state for him.

That said, I hope he doesn't get either job and has to win a title here first.
    it would be great to do something big here then go somewhere close and do something big there too. He'd be a hero forever

2. The Following User Says Thank You to niklz62 For This Useful Post:

Legend
    Thanks
    Thought Sanford did a good job recruiting, at least his first year. Some of his guys were big contributors this year.
    Fear the Trees!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,187 Times in 3,112 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bent20 View Post
    Thought Sanford did a good job recruiting, at least his first year. Some of his guys were big contributors this year.
    Aside from Jonas, who were big contributors? Also, if I'm not mistaken, Jonas was landed when Bever was still here and the recruiting coordinator. I made mention of the difference from when he was in charge of recruiting before he left and DeBerry took over.

IIRC, both Keys and Moss came in as walk-ons and ended up earning scholarships. Those are your top 3 holdovers that put up big numbers this year and two of them couldn't even get a scholarship out of HS but we offered a ton of JUCO busts every year, most of which didn't make it to campus or didn't even make it through a year. I will give Green some credit this year after being burnt time after time his first three years -- he rebounded very nicely as a senior but still had his moments.

Hendrix would be the only other kid I'd consider a difference maker to include with those above. Who else you thinking about?
    Last edited by Jason Svoboda; 11-27-2018 at 03:47 PM.
    No ads. Name in gold. Enhanced features. Become a Supporting Member for only $15 today!

Sixth Man
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Svoboda View Post
    Aside from Jonas, who were big contributors? Also, if I'm not mistaken, Jonas was landed when Bever was still here and the recruiting coordinator. I made mention of the difference from when he was in charge of recruiting before he left and DeBerry took over.

IIRC, both Keys and Moss came in as walk-ons and ended up earning scholarships. Those are your top 3 holdovers that put up big numbers this year and two of them couldn't even get a scholarship out of HS but we offered a ton of JUCO busts every year, most of which didn't make it to campus or didn't even make it through a year. I will give Green some credit this year after being burnt time after time his first three years -- he rebounded very nicely as a senior but still had his moments.

Hendrix would be the only other kid I'd consider a difference maker to include with those above. Who else you thinking about?
    How about 3/5's of the ol along w/ Soward and Fleschler??? Moala was a nice catch along w/ Powell had been improved after gaining 40lbs from his frosh year. But yes, not much left over

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 5,187 Times in 3,112 Posts

Register to remove this advertisement
    Quote Originally Posted by #33 View Post
    How about 3/5's of the ol along w/ Soward and Fleschler??? Moala was a nice catch along w/ Powell had been improved after gaining 40lbs from his frosh year. But yes, not much left over
    Moala is the only one from that group I'd consider a big contributor. Both Lex and Mason have basically been spot duty lineman. Up until this year, Powell has played in like a handful of games. But you adding just four names to the list is a huge problem when you consider they brought in 22-27 guys yearly. So either Sanford and his last couple year's staff was bad at the talent eval process and/or bad at coaching them up.

Basically when you look at all of that, it's easy to see why we quickly faded after the base Miles built eroded and even Miles had recruiting issues -- his staff often cast a very narrow net and was stuck scrambling at the end. He also had scholarship restrictions at the beginning and was not able to recruit outside of the Midwest like Sanford was, either. Mallory is now going into his third class so his base should essentially be there after this next class comes in.
    No ads. Name in gold. Enhanced features. Become a Supporting Member for only $15 today!