Become a Supporting Member to remove this and all other advertisments! Click HERE for more info!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,402 Times in 3,244 Posts

Some hoops data junkies discussing Indiana State

Register to remove this advertisement
    No ads. Name in gold. Enhanced features. Become a Supporting Member for only $15 today!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Svoboda For This Useful Post:

Supporting Member SycamoreStateofMind's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,886 Posts
    A couple of thoughts - in doing so I'm dismissing what I saw last night entirely.

- Jordan Barnes and BScott were in a chuck it war all season last year. They couldn't get shots up quick enough - if they waited the other one was going to get the shot up. It's not that surprising to see him be a little more selective.

- Key is a patient basketball player and often takes what the defense gives him. Other than Barnes he has the ball in his hands as much as any other player. His shot selection is one of the biggest factors at play here.

- Holston is the other guy that has this metric looking so bizarre. He's basically playing SF for us and he's attempted one three point shot all year. His refusal to shoot the 3 point shot is a huge factor. He's #3/4 on the team at minutes played at a position where often times a couple 3 pointers a game are going to fly and he's not taking any.

- Hughes has improved his shooting drastically so far on the young season. He made 14 three pointers all of last year - he's already made 8 three pointers this season at a clip of 57%. He's playing within himself and so far the results have been pretty decent. He's just got to learn to defend and most notably defend without fouling.

- Someone noted on that thread of tweets that when Neese becomes eligible this is all likely out the window. I'm not sure we will start shooting them at the clip that NT did last night (32 total) but I'd say low 20's game in and game out is probably going to be the norm.
    Roll Timber!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,402 Times in 3,244 Posts
    No ads. Name in gold. Enhanced features. Become a Supporting Member for only $15 today!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason Svoboda For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,234 Times in 776 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Svoboda View Post
    That is goofy. I honestly have no idea what to make of it. Watching the games it seems we do a good job of taking what the defense gives us offensively, but the fact that we’re so bad at 2P% makes me question that. I guess to me it means we’re terrible at the midrange jumper, but I’m curious what our % is in the paint and around the rim. But hey...at least we’re above 70% in free throws.

Defense apparently is what’s stirring our drink right now because our offensive numbers are wild.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokerZ View Post
    That is goofy. I honestly have no idea what to make of it. Watching the games it seems we do a good job of taking what the defense gives us offensively, but the fact that we’re so bad at 2P% makes me question that. I guess to me it means we’re terrible at the midrange jumper, but I’m curious what our % is in the paint and around the rim. But hey...at least we’re above 70% in free throws.

Defense apparently is what’s stirring our drink right now because our offensive numbers are wild.
    I don't know I got a decent feel for it - I think we're a pretty decent mid range team. I think we've forced ourselves to not settle for 3's which has lead to some tough contested shots at the rim. Our ability to get to the rim is pretty good - our ability to finish at the rim not so great. I think it's probably worth mentioning that we've play a pretty difficult non conference schedule and we will not always run up against the same level of length and athletic ability - in other words our schedule hasn't helped our 2p fg% - if anything it's another reason why we appear to be struggling inside the arch.

It comes down to this - are teams defending the 3 against us and running us off shots or are we just showing that much discipline and not settling for 3's. Because if teams are truly running us off the 3 point line in theory that should lead to open driving lines and easier shots around the rim. If we're indeed showing discipline and try to get to the rim that is going to lead to some lower percentage attempts.

But defense makes us go - I've been most plesantly surprised by our team rebounding. I thought we were going to get murdered on the glass this year but that hasn't really happened. When this team wants they play with a great deal of energy and effort - it's not been consistent but they've shown flashes of establishing an identity.
    Last edited by SycamoreStateofMind; 12-24-2018 at 11:01 AM.
    Roll Timber!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SycamoreStateofMind For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,234 Times in 776 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreStateofMind View Post
    I don't know I got a decent feel for it - I think we're a pretty decent mid range team. I think we've forced ourselves to not settle for 3's which has lead to some tough contested shots at the rim. Our ability to get to the rim is pretty good - our ability to finish at the rim not so great. I think it's probably worth mentioning that we've play a pretty difficult non conference schedule and we will not always run up against the same level of length and athletic ability - in other words our schedule hasn't helped our 2p fg% - if anything it's another reason why we appear to be struggling inside the arch.

It comes down to this - are teams defending the 3 against us and running us off shots or are we just showing that much discipline and not settling for 3's. Because if teams are truly running us off the 3 point line in theory that should lead to open driving lines and easier shots around the rim. If we're indeed showing discipline and try to get to the rim that is going to lead to some lower percentage attempts.

But defense makes us go - I've been most plesantly surprised by our team rebounding. I thought we were going to get murdered on the glass this year but that hasn't really happened. When this team wants they play with a great deal of energy and effort - it's not been consistent but they've shown flashes of establishing an identity.
    I think teams are definitely running us off the three line, and we’re doing a good job not forcing things. JB had quite the quick trigger last year from deep, and this year he seems to be letting the game come to him more. Same for Tyreke - he doesn’t force much of anything.

I agree just based on my own observations that we still don’t finish well around the rim. We work too hard for the and-1 instead of just going to the cup and playing through the contact. It’s the same problem we had last year, and I don’t see it changing much this year...yet. We do seem to be getting to the line better than in years past, which helps a lot. Our emergence of our post players throughout the Diamond Head Classic should help the 2P%, as well. It’s taken them some time to come around.

And...totally agree on the rebounding. We’re not dominant by any means and we’re fairly routinely getting out-rebounded by our opponents, but we’re good enough at it that it’s not costing us games. We’re holding our own in an area that I thought was a major weakness. Christian Williams, for example, has been a much better rebounder than I thought he would be.

Thanks

How many non-D1 games and still say that???
    Sycamore Proud

Let's go Sycamores!
    Proud to be a member of the OFC

My comments and ideas are free, but it costs money to run Sycamore Pride. Please be a Supporting Member!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sycamore Proud View Post
    How many non-D1 games and still say that???
    Ball State.
    WKU.
    TCU.
    Colorado.
    UNLV.
    TCU.

Yeah I don't really care about the non D1 games - it's been a pretty good non conference schedule.
    Roll Timber!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SycamoreStateofMind For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Ball State.
    WKU.
    TCU.
    Colorado.
    UNLV.
    TCU.

Yeah I don't really care about the non D1 games - it's been a pretty good non conference schedule.

Agreed, but I think we both would rather those games were gone.
    Sycamore Proud

Let's go Sycamores!
    Proud to be a member of the OFC

My comments and ideas are free, but it costs money to run Sycamore Pride. Please be a Supporting Member!

Thanks

Register to remove this advertisement
    Ball State.
    WKU.
    TCU.
    Colorado.
    UNLV.
    TCU.

I should have included North Texas who is off to a great start with only 1 loss to Arkansas I believe. So 7 quality opponents in the non conference! As difficult as scheduling is for mid majors that’s pretty good stuff.
    Roll Timber!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SycamoreStateofMind For This Useful Post: