Become a Supporting Member to remove this and all other advertisments! Click HERE for more info!
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,264 Times in 3,160 Posts

Kessinger should replace Rickman in the starting lineup

Register to remove this advertisement
    I think BK has played well enough that he deserves to move into the starting lineup over Rickman. The floor spacing and ball movement is better when he is at the five. He rolls off of screens better and he is the better passer. The fact that Rickman is shooting 43% from the floor is also a big reason why he should move back to the bench.

The only advantage Rickman has right now over Kessinger is his shot blocking ability but he hasn't had one in the first two MVC games so nothing lost. My bigger issue with Rickman right now is that he seems to be emotionally fragile. If he misses a couple shots or gets whistled for a turnover, he starts talking to himself and hanging his head. He needs to start believing in himself but that ship may have sailed being he is a senior.

In any event, starting games strong is important to this team that can have long periods of time without scoring so I'd like to see the staff shake things up because we've hit something and the last two games (and several others this year) have been some of the ugliest ball during Lansing's tenure.
    No ads. Name in gold. Enhanced features. Become a Supporting Member for only $15 today!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason Svoboda For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Not sure that this matters much and depends on your philosophy of getting off to a good start, but Rickman gets us the first possession of every game or damn close to it. Seems like Lansing has him in at first, wins jump ball, gets us a lead and pulls him quickly after. Like first dead ball he’s out.
    Last edited by skdent1414; 01-06-2019 at 01:56 PM.

Thanks
    With that being said, I know that the initial possession of the game generally doesn’t mean jack shit over a 40 minute game. But if you capitalize on the first possession and start building a lead it could set the tone for the rest of the game. That’s why I’m leaving Rickman out there to start.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    You're "leaving Rickman out there" because you want a good start ? ? ? Have you watched any ISU games this year ? ? ? ? ?
    He usually starts with an awkward missed shot, travels the next couple of times down the floor, followed by another awkward throw at the basket.
    That's the good start you want ?
    With better hands and major changes in his footwork he could be an outstanding player for us. But alas, he's a senior -- not likely to happen.
    Kessinger is easily the best big man we have -- he needs to be out there 28--32 minutes a game.

Thanks
    I disagree with you. I have seen several games this season where Rickman has came out and scored the first few buckets. Sure he can’t go left, and travels a lot. But he also establishes a defensive presence against the opposin starting 5 man. If you want Kessinger losing the tip, flopping on the first possession and giving the opponent a layup to start each game be my guest.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to skdent1414 For This Useful Post:

Supporting Member SycamoreStateofMind's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,194 Times in 1,871 Posts
    I think Kessinger is probably the better option but I don't really agree with much that has been said in this thread so far in support of either scenario.

Kessinger has played well but he's not "easily" better than anyone - let's keep things in perspective here. Kissinger (and everyone else for that matter) got absolutely dominated vs. Loyola. Go back and watch the game and watch how many times Krutwig got position on Kessinger and how many times he got beat on ball screen O. He was terrible.

In fact - go check the season stats Rickman (41.7%) is shooting better than Kessinger (30%) from the free throw line. Kessinger has also been much more foul prone this year than Rickman has been. The best and only thing Kessinger has been able to do defensively is try and take a charge every other play in the post.

Rickman has to cut down on his turnovers - but other than that I think those that are constantly critical of Rickman are being overly critical of his play. Either that or your expectations for what you thought he could do were too high to begin with. He's not great - but neither are Kessinger or the less-talked about Thomas.
    Last edited by SycamoreStateofMind; 01-06-2019 at 09:04 PM.
    Roll Timber!

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 664 Posts

Register to remove this advertisement
    Looks like Thomas is gonna be spending most of the rest of the season watching. He is definitely the odd man out, and deservedly so. So far, he’s been a big disappointment.