Become a Supporting Member to remove this and all other advertisments! Click HERE for more info!
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Supporting Member
    Thanks

2019 spring/fall two deeps

Register to remove this advertisement
    Who is coming back for each position?

Potential Starters?

Players coming back from Injury?

Lets get this going.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,451 Times in 3,267 Posts
    1) Who are our pass rushers going to be?

2) Do we have a suitable Moss replacement that can be even as close to productive?

3) Corners? Will we actually be able to cover receivers in 2019?
    No ads. Name in gold. Enhanced features. Become a Supporting Member for only $15 today!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 851 Posts
    Well, we've got an awesome QB coming back, and that's going to key for 2019. However, as always, games are won in the trenches. Will our O-line be as good (or better) as it was last year? That will be very important. And we need some receivers that can get separation so that Boyle can use that cannon of his to devastating effect.

In order to win 10 games, the D is going to have to be better than it was last year. We were a "bend but don't break" defense. This season, we need to be a "stuff it back in your face" defense. As Jason said, replacing Moss will be HUGE. We also desperately need better secondary players. I felt like last year, we kinda got lucky a lot in pass coverage. Now I don't know a lot about football (other than I love to watch it), so maybe we were better than I'm giving us credit for, but it felt like we were always on the brink of losing it defensively. But we didn't, which is a testament to the players and coaches!

There are holes to plug, to be sure. But 10 wins should be the goal. And with a piece here and a piece there, we'll be ready to go!!!

Can't wait for fall!!!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IndyTreeFan For This Useful Post:

Role Player
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyTreeFan View Post
    Well, we've got an awesome QB coming back, and that's going to key for 2019. However, as always, games are won in the trenches. Will our O-line be as good (or better) as it was last year? That will be very important. And we need some receivers that can get separation so that Boyle can use that cannon of his to devastating effect.

In order to win 10 games, the D is going to have to be better than it was last year. We were a "bend but don't break" defense. This season, we need to be a "stuff it back in your face" defense. As Jason said, replacing Moss will be HUGE. We also desperately need better secondary players. I felt like last year, we kinda got lucky a lot in pass coverage. Now I don't know a lot about football (other than I love to watch it), so maybe we were better than I'm giving us credit for, but it felt like we were always on the brink of losing it defensively. But we didn't, which is a testament to the players and coaches!

There are holes to plug, to be sure. But 10 wins should be the goal. And with a piece here and a piece there, we'll be ready to go!!!

Can't wait for fall!!!

Last yearís offense was wacky. The strategy early was clearly hand the ball to Keys, primarily running behind Tate and Tuna. Covington was used effectively to relieve Keys. By game 4 the approach became too predictable and SDSU stacked the box. Out of desperation, the coaches had to pass and I think it was that point they figured out what kind of weapon they had in Ryan Boyle. Unfortunately, thing too, we lost 2 starting WRs that week (Michael Thomas and speedster Rontrez Morgan).

The following weeks we lost Convington and Keys for the season. A number of young players stepped up. Dante Hendrix emerged as an amazing talent. McCoy filled in at RB. The O-Line was outstanding all year. Boyle made plays after play innthose funal 5 MVFC wins. Itís amazing the offense performed as well as it did considering all of those injuries.

Next yearís offense is very promising. The 3 WRs will all be back and healthy. McCoy is back with a Jaquan Keys look-a-like with a RB transfer from Toledo and everyone returns from the O-Line except Tate. And, perhaps, most importantly, the coaches know what they have in Boyle at the start of the season and will assume a more aggressive multi-dimensional passing and read option attack for the start of the season. The entire O-Line and Boyle will be playing their final year...we arenít young...NDSU and SDSU will be down. The time is NOW!

The defense is another story. We lose some of our best players, especially in the middle of the defense (Moss, Mosely and Powell). We have some promising freshmen coming in to fill those holes, and a few JuCos as well. Would be awesome to get a couple grad transfers at DT that are fully mature and seasoned that can contribute immediately.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ktulu For This Useful Post:

All-American
    Thanks
    I'll be back! Top row, making noise on 3rd down! Not quite as much as I use to since I am getting older. I remember a school principle asking me when I was going to grow up. Well, I still don't know when the process will be complete but I suspect it will happen in the next 30 years.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sycamore tuff For This Useful Post:

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Cut and Paste and Fill in Spots. Lets see what we have.

Offense

WR1-
    WR2-
    TE-
    LT-
    LG-
    C-
    RG-
    RT-
    QB-
    RB-
    TE/WR-

Defense

DE-
    NT-
    T-
    DE-
    OLB-
    MLB
    OLB-
    C-
    C-
    F/S-
    S/S-

LS-
    K-
    P-
    Ruturn-

Thanks
    2 things and I'm going to try to not let this thread take over my Monday.

I'd like to see us have the capability this year to jam the ball down a D's throat when they know its coming.

Either teams are going to respect Boyle keeping the ball on the zone read OR he is gonna have a lot of 15yd runs on 2 and 4.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to niklz62 For This Useful Post:

Role Player
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=Sycamore2021;281882]Cut and Paste and Fill in Spots. Lets see what we have.

I'll give it a shot.

Note: I'm predicting a couple Freshman make the two deeps! Sims will be a Keys clone? Matae Thomas to surprise at TE? Lots of holes in the D...who is stepping up? Montague? Left Tackle is only hole in the O-Line...too early for 6'8" 320 lb Stevens? Any other freshmen make an impact?

Offense

WR1- Hendrix/ Morgan
    WR2- Mi Thomas/ Jones II
    TE- Larkin/ Matae Thomas/ Williams
    LT- Flechler/ Morgan-Elliot
    LG- Tuna/ Perras
    C- Woz/ Clemons
    RG- Lang/ Fabricius
    RT- Kchowski/ Stevens (Fr)
    QB- Boyle/ Wilderman
    RB- Sims/ McCoy
    TE/WR- Canton/Wildt

Defense

DE- Moala/ Brewer/Peratt
    NT- Nobles (JuCO Tr)/ Zacock
    T- Brewer/ Hunter (fr)
    DE- Mayes/ Fotu (JuCo Tr)
    OLB- J. Griffith/ M. Thompson
    MLB - Broome/ Moffett
    OLB- Glasco/ T. Griffith (Fr)
    C- Tucker/ Hambright
    C- Thompson II/ Montague
    F/S- Newman
    S/S- Bonner

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Awesome work. Thats a good start. A couple injured OL guys from last year might be on that list and couple Rb's. Some of last year young DL guys could take a step forward. Thanks for your work.

Thanks

Register to remove this advertisement
    Titus McCoy had shoulder surgery but according to his tweets his recovery is ahead of schedule.
    The Dude: I do mind, the Dude minds. This will not stand, ya know, this aggression will not stand, man