Become a Supporting Member to remove this and all other advertisments! Click HERE for more info!
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,451 Times in 3,267 Posts

Register to remove this advertisement
    Quote Originally Posted by HOOPSFAN View Post
    I reiterate, Always easier to find another job when you have one than when you don't. If 500K will make him happy for a lifetime then I agree but if it won't he might be hard pressed to land another of any consequence after he rides it out and continues to ruin his coaching reputation where he no longer belongs. We can always hope.
    I don't think that theory really applies in college coaching.

I think I can only remember maybe a couple times where a MM coach gives up a head coaching gig to take an assistant role and I'm not sure I can remember anyone doing it as tenured as Lansing. Maybe Jank at Illinois State when he went to work for Larry Brown at SMU, but that was his mentor and close friend. Only head coaches I've ever seen Lansing tied to are Steve Alford (who is unemployed himself) and Matt Painter.

But again, I'm just not walking away from over $500k. That money, like it or not, is owed to him contractually.
    No ads. Name in gold. Enhanced features. Become a Supporting Member for only $15 today!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason Svoboda For This Useful Post:

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 709 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Svoboda View Post
    You're absolutely right. Jimmys and Joes over Xs and Os.

We have some talented pieces (I've said I believe this is our most talented roster top to bottom under Lansing) but they are wildly inconsistent and emotionally fragile, damn near the whole lot of them. The first punch they take in the mouth and they instantly tuck their tails and become submissive pretty much the remainder of the game. Then like every fifth game, you'll see them get a wild hair and play the domination role and we'll wax a weaker team or beat a stronger or more talented team.

The whole thing is a dumpster fire but the most glaring thing I see at this point is that it feels like we don't have a single leader on the floor. Ever. That is the major difference between this squad and those in years past, even if the leader wasn't necessarily our best player.
    Absolutely correct about not having a leader, and thatís a problem. I donít see anybody on that roster holding each other accountable.

Sixth Man
    Thanks
    I believe our last coach McKenna left to take the assistant job at Oregon. Imagine he makes more than he did as head coach here. Noticed where old ISU coach Dillard is still the assistant at Iowa as well. Think Lansing could step into an assistant job easily.

Thanks
    I found this article from the TH Tribune Star, which cites Lansing's initial 5-yr. rollover contract after the 2012 season.

https://www.tribstar.com/sports/lans...ea6c458f9.html

This happened only a year after ISU's only Lansing-era NCAA bid. ISU finished 8th in the MVC w/ only an 18-15 record, dropping a CIT post-season game v. Robert Morris @ HC. Had Lansing been on a year-year agreement w/ ISU prior to this?

MVC Final Standings in '12:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb.../mvc/2012.html

ISU '11-'12 Schedule Results:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...-schedule.html

It just doesn't make sense why a 5-yr. rollover would be issued after a down slide season of 8-10 in the MVC & just above .500 (18-15). Are there any extenuating circumstances that I'm unaware (injury, sickness,personnel)?

Thanks
    why in the world would he leave. he hasnt lost 1 game that will keep him out of the NCAA tournament. I doubt any team in the MVC has won a game that will get them in the tournament. I suspect we will go 3-3, for the rest of the season and then win our first MVC tournament game then lose our 2nd. Maybe we will win the whole thing and everyone will be mad.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckhorn View Post
    I found this article from the TH Tribune Star, which cites Lansing's initial 5-yr. rollover contract after the 2012 season.

https://www.tribstar.com/sports/lans...ea6c458f9.html

This happened only a year after ISU's only Lansing-era NCAA bid. ISU finished 8th in the MVC w/ only an 18-15 record, dropping a CIT post-season game v. Robert Morris @ HC. Had Lansing been on a year-year agreement w/ ISU prior to this?

It just doesn't make sense why a 5-yr. rollover would be issued after a down slide season of 8-10 in the MVC & just above .500 (18-15). Are there any extenuating circumstances that I'm unaware (injury, sickness,personnel)?
    Hell, it's right there in black and white...

"The key to the deal was the five-year rollover. Both the university and Lansing had the desire to give him personal security as well as the opportunity to inform recruits that he will be at ISU for the entirety of their collegiate careers."
    Be LOYAL and TRUE! WEAR ROYAL BLUE!!! don't SLACK by wearing BLACK!

Thanks
    "The key to the deal was the five-year rollover. Both the university and Lansing had the desire to give him personal security as well as the opportunity to inform recruits that he will be at ISU for the entirety of their collegiate careers."[/QUOTE]

What factors in his initial 2 yr. HC career warranted such "security?" Did the 9 yr. ISU NCAA appearance void between the '01 and '11 halo his value? Was he a "hot commodity" by other NCAA schools looking for a HC after the '12 season?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckhorn View Post
    What factors in his initial 2 yr. HC career warranted such "security?" Did the 9 yr. ISU NCAA appearance void between the '01 and '11 halo his value? Was he a "hot commodity" by other NCAA schools looking for a HC after the '12 season?
    3 Factors
    #1 - NCAA appearance, MVC Tourney title
    #2 - he went 38-29 (.567) overall, 20-16 (.555) MVC in first 2 seasons
    #3 - his predecessor went 26-37 (.413) overall, 15-21 MVC in first two seasons
    Be LOYAL and TRUE! WEAR ROYAL BLUE!!! don't SLACK by wearing BLACK!

Legend
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Q_iu View Post
    3 Factors
    #1 - NCAA appearance, MVC Tourney title
    #2 - he went 38-29 (.567) overall, 20-16 (.555) MVC in first 2 seasons
    #3 - his predecessor went 26-37 (.413) overall, 15-21 MVC in first two seasons
    His predecessor inherited a broken program and gave us our first winning season in eight seasons. Throwing out McKenna's record like that's an explanation is not at all fair. McKenna turned the program around. Waltman was given six losing seasons, so I guess Lansing will get the same, plus one.
    Fear the Trees!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bent20 For This Useful Post:

MVP
    Thanks

Register to remove this advertisement
    Also if you subtract the games with teams like McKendree and his overall record is much closer to being a losing record . When you schedule one or two a year your overall record is inflated .
    ROLL TIMBER