Become a Supporting Member to remove this and all other advertisments! Click HERE for more info!
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 723 Posts

Basketball budget

Register to remove this advertisement
    Most of us realize that to have a better basketball program, we need to up our budget. I agree, but I contend that money was not our problem this year. So, letís say we miraculously came up with another million to put in our program. What would you guys spend it on, and how would that help us win more games?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to meistro For This Useful Post:

All-American
    Thanks
    I would get coach K to be our coach for a week. That's probably what a million will get you.

Role Player
    Thanks
    HC + AC salaries
    Charter flights
    Recruiting budget

The more you can pay coaches the better you have access to get - head or assistant. ISUr’s 17-1 year came with Luke Yaklich. Loyola has a really good assistant who recruits well (IL Wolves) in Bryan Mullins. UNI pays Green handsomely so they get his kid for 4 years. Ditto SIU and Beane, who actually just interviewed for the vacant SIUE HC position. Dana Ford and Darian DeVries were quality assistants in the league at one point too.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Prisonmate View Post
    HC + AC salaries
    Charter flights
    Recruiting budget

The more you can pay coaches the better you have access to get - head or assistant. ISUr’s 17-1 year came with Luke Yaklich. Loyola has a really good assistant who recruits well (IL Wolves) in Bryan Mullins. UNI pays Green handsomely so they get his kid for 4 years. Ditto SIU and Beane, who actually just interviewed for the vacant SIUE HC position. Dana Ford and Darian DeVries were quality assistants in the league at one point too.
    All good points, but none of which should have been a factor this past season.

Salaries - There's no way we're raising salaries for a staff with 5 straight losing seasons. GL has also said he has the best staff in the country. No doubt if we make a change in the future, we will have to pony up.

Charter flights - We do charter flights, I believe 8 this year which is on par with our conference.

Recruiting budget - GL has no restrictions on recruiting and can go anywhere in the world to recruit. In fact, I'd say recruiting is one of his stronger abilities. We had top 5 league talent this year.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meistro For This Useful Post:

Legend
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by meistro View Post
    I contend that money was not our problem this year.
    Liking this post for this part. No one seems to talk about this enough. I agree we need to devote more resources to basketball, but everyone keeps talking about what a talented roster we have, and how we have good recruits coming in next year. So, money hasn't prevented Lansing from recruiting decent players. Trying the same approach each season has failed miserably. Maybe the real question is should Lansing and staff be sent to a coaching clinic (not joking). Maybe they need to be taught a new style of play. And then, send them to a clinic on motivating people, help them learn the finer points of getting the best effort out of someone.
    Last edited by bent20; 03-15-2019 at 08:56 AM.
    Fear the Trees!

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bent20 For This Useful Post:

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bent20 View Post
    Liking this post for this part. No one seems to talk about this enough. I agree we need to devote more resources to basketball, but everyone keeps talking about what a talented roster we have, and how we have good recruits coming in next year. So, money hasn't prevented Lansing from recruiting decent players. Trying the same approach each season has failed miserably. Maybe the real question is should Lansing and staff be sent to a coaching clinic (not joking). Maybe they need to be taught a new style of play.
    Exactly. At least to get a new out of bounds play.
    Last edited by meistro; 03-15-2019 at 08:58 AM.

All-American
    Thanks
    John and Nellie Wooden name off the court and put someone more deserving

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SycamoreinTexas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,536 Times in 3,319 Posts
    When looking at the basketball budget, you cannot compare a macro data point like that versus something micro like an individual season. It's not an apple-to-apple comparison. Nobody on the boards has defended Lansing and staff's coaching this year that I can recall? Nor has anyone defended the lack of production and consistency from the players, no? What the lack of budget can do is provide context as to why things are the way they are.

You could easily assume or draw the conclusion that Lansing got the gig because of our budget. So the very root cause that everyone has complained about, Coach Lansing, could be result of lacking the budget to go after a higher profile candidate. I believe I've told the story on the boards before, but if not, I'll throw it out now. It's well past the water under the bridge phase now. When Coach McKenna was here, I was told he requested an additional administrative staff person to help with day-to-day basketball operations and it was denied. I was also told that he had stuff like rental car reimbursements denied on out-of-state recruiting trips and was told he should have driven instead. Is there any wonder why he jumped back with Dana the first chance he got?

But back to your question, and increased basketball budget can help with MANY things that can touch everything.

1) Head Coach Salary - Lansing is up to around $250-260k before any bonuses, media and camp proceeds I believe. We also know he kicks back quite a bit to the school from that as he is in the top donor tier. In any event, the base salary needs to be between $400-500k if you want to have your pick of the litter. That may seem like a lot, but when you consider the top jobs in the Summit/Horizon pay $350k, you're just barely moving ahead of them. On top of base, incentivize the hell out of it. $100k for 25 wins, $100k for a NCAA tournament berth, $50k for a Valley title, $25k for increasing attendance 5%, whatever.

2) Assistant Coach Salary Pool - Same as above. Realistically, you probably need a total compensation pool of your head coach and assistants to be around $1m.

3) Buy Games - Most programs win a majority of their games on their home floors and we're no different. The reason why scheduling is so difficult is the power conference teams know they don't have to travel and mid-major teams are stuck trying to save their jobs when scheduling in the non-conference if they know their conference slate is going to be difficult. We currently pay D2 schools between $10-25k to come in. That number jumps to bring in another mid-major.

4) Recruiting - These AAU events are not cheap, especially when you consider you have 4 coaches out for pretty much every week during the Summer live period. I've actually talked to Greg about the gouging that happens as in the last 2-3 years, they have started making the coaches not only pay for admission but also to get the event guides that give you the team rosters and contact information. So that can run you around a thousand per coach per event and sometimes they are going back/forth between 2-3 events as each shoe company has their own events going on -- Nike has EYBL, AAU has the Association and Adidas has their Gauntlet series. Then you have other events that non-sponsor specific like NY2LA's event in Wisconsin, etc.

5) Travel - More air travel and less bus time to keep the players and coaches fresher. Bus travel sucks.

6) Alternate Jerseys - This may not matter to stuffy traditionalists, but having cool alternate jerseys and gear are things that get the kids hyped. Hell, check out how Northwestern let their seniors design a senior day set. Those little touches can set your program apart in recruiting battles.

7) Technology - Remember our iPad drive so the guys could have access to game film outside of facilities. With a bigger budget, things like this wouldn't need to be crowdfunded in the first damn place. If someone as simple as that needs taken care of, what other basketball technology could help the program. This isn't basketball related, but when Liberty came into town a couple years back for football, that school had pretty much every bell and whistle for the players and even the fans that made the trek. Those that were there can recall -- it was like a pro team had rolled into Memorial.

8) Creature Comforts/Facilities - Pretty self explanatory so won't really dig too much into that.

I'm sure there are a couple other bullet points I could point to that would benefit the program, but I'll stop here. Just remember that once Lansing's contract expires, if our budget is still sitting at the $2m spot and hasn't been increased like football has, you could likely be having this very same conversation in another 5-7 years. Culture and success starts at the very top -- an administration and athletics department that will do what is necessary to field a winning program.
    No ads. Name in gold. Enhanced features. Become a Supporting Member for only $15 today!

13. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jason Svoboda For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,427 Times in 875 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Svoboda View Post
    3) Buy Games - Most programs win a majority of their games on their home floors and we're no different. The reason why scheduling is so difficult is the power conference teams know they don't have to travel and mid-major teams are stuck trying to save their jobs when scheduling in the non-conference if they know their conference slate is going to be difficult. We currently pay D2 schools between $10-25k to come in. That number jumps to bring in another mid-major.
    Question on this one - do you have to pay another team to come play you if it's a home and home?

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Register to remove this advertisement
    Great stuff Jason!