Become a Supporting Member to remove this and all other advertisments! Click HERE for more info!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Elgin Talks re: MVC Scheduling & Expansion

Register to remove this advertisement

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buckhorn For This Useful Post:

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I am not a know it all person, but to me there is a lot of. crap in this article. This family thing sounds good but don't think is not a reason to not expand.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rapala For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rapala View Post
    I am not a know it all person, but to me there is a lot of. crap in this article. This family thing sounds good but don't think is not a reason to not expand.
    I agree...Elgin almost convinced me to get out the "eggnog!"

There's one way to drive up the QUALITY of the MVC, and it sure as hell isn't falling back on your heels when OPPORTUNITY EXISTS. There's a far greater feel of "family" in Murray St., Belmont & N. KY than what exists now in the MVC. Elgin needs to "get out of his box" more often and breathe the FRESH air.
    Last edited by Buckhorn; 04-02-2019 at 02:11 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rapala View Post

Who are the legit candidates? Legit being those schools that fit ALL of the MVC needs, not just MBB?
    Be LOYAL and TRUE! WEAR ROYAL BLUE!!! don't SLACK by wearing BLACK!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,409 Times in 862 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Q_iu View Post
    Who are the legit candidates? Legit being those schools that fit ALL of the MVC needs, not just MBB?
    The conference should be driven by men's basketball. It's the closest thing to a revenue sport that most of our schools have. Murray State fits the bill and should have been offered with Valpo. But for some reason, 11 is just too hard for our university presidents to wrap their heads around. Yeah, yeah, unbalanced schedule, travel partners, and all that other BS. But it sure would have been nice to have Ja Morant in the Valley last season.

And no, it doesn't directly help us. But nothing will ever directly help us. Doesn't mean that we shouldn't have an opinion.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyTreeFan View Post
    The conference should be driven by men's basketball. It's the closest thing to a revenue sport that most of our schools have. Murray State fits the bill and should have been offered with Valpo. But for some reason, 11 is just too hard for our university presidents to wrap their heads around. Yeah, yeah, unbalanced schedule, travel partners, and all that other BS. But it sure would have been nice to have Ja Morant in the Valley last season.

And no, it doesn't directly help us. But nothing will ever directly help us. Doesn't mean that we shouldn't have an opinion.
    And therein lies a large part of the problem with expansion. It's not Elgin's call -- all 10 members get a vote; Valley member breaks down between the publics and the privates; the football schools and the non-football schools.

In a perfect world, the Valley wouldn't have to expand but given the greedy nature of the "power 5/power 6" conferences, it may occur but only if all 10 members agree...
    Be LOYAL and TRUE! WEAR ROYAL BLUE!!! don't SLACK by wearing BLACK!

Starter
    Thanks
    I find it rather odd that the MVC was willing to take a chance on a 1-17 Horizon League school that hadn't won anything in almost 30 years and that had no fan base whatsoever. But now we have a school with a very large fan base that does nothing but win and we can't find a 12th team. The bottom line is that I honestly don't think the MVC has any interest in expansion. You can't tell me that a school like Northern Kentucky who has won 3 Horizon League championships (either regular or tournament) over the past 3 years and had plenty of success at the D2 level isn't worth taking a chance on.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sycamorefan96 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,473 Times in 3,281 Posts
    If it doesn’t make dollars, it doesn’t make sense.
    No ads. Name in gold. Enhanced features. Become a Supporting Member for only $15 today!

Starter
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Svoboda View Post
    If it doesn’t make dollars, it doesn’t make sense.
    Here's another article for you.

https://www.wpsdlocal6.com/2019/03/2...-ncaa-payouts/

"The Missouri Valley Conference will collect $1.4 million in April and at least $8.45 million total from what Loyola University Chicago earned during its stunning run with Sister Jean to the 2018 Final Four. The conference is still cashing in from Wichita State’s Final Four in 2013 as well as Creighton’s recent NCAA appearances. Wichita State (American Athletic Conference) and Creighton (Big East) have both left the Missouri Valley, ripple effects from Power Five expansion. Elgin provided AP with MVC financial projections that show annual unit revenue falling from nearly $7.2 million in 2019 to $2.6 million in 2025."

So ISU annually receives $720,000 per year off NCAA tournament revenue right now. In 6 years we will be getting $260,000 per year. That's a 64% decrease or $460,000. So what you're telling me is that we shouldn't expand because we might lose $44,000 a year? Forget the $44K. Let's look at the $460K we're going to be losing out on over the next 6 years. Getting at large bids and adding schools that give us and other schools in the MVC that opportunity needs to be a huge priority going forward. I don't think the league can afford to sit on their hands in this stage.

If you are not willing to take a chance over $44K then we need to throw in the towel and go Division 2. Stop pretending to be Division 1 if that is the real reason for not expanding. If the real reason is that the private schools are insisting on only adding private schools then the MVC publics and privates need to go separate ways and group with other schools that have the same athletic goals as each other.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sycamorefan96 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,473 Times in 3,281 Posts

Register to remove this advertisement
    Quote Originally Posted by Sycamorefan96 View Post
    Here's another article for you.

https://www.wpsdlocal6.com/2019/03/2...-ncaa-payouts/

"The Missouri Valley Conference will collect $1.4 million in April and at least $8.45 million total from what Loyola University Chicago earned during its stunning run with Sister Jean to the 2018 Final Four. The conference is still cashing in from Wichita State’s Final Four in 2013 as well as Creighton’s recent NCAA appearances. Wichita State (American Athletic Conference) and Creighton (Big East) have both left the Missouri Valley, ripple effects from Power Five expansion. Elgin provided AP with MVC financial projections that show annual unit revenue falling from nearly $7.2 million in 2019 to $2.6 million in 2025."

So ISU annually receives $720,000 per year off NCAA tournament revenue right now. In 6 years we will be getting $260,000 per year. That's a 64% decrease or $460,000. So what you're telling me is that we shouldn't expand because we might lose $44,000 a year? Forget the $44K. Let's look at the $460K we're going to be losing out on over the next 6 years. Getting at large bids and adding schools that give us and other schools in the MVC that opportunity needs to be a huge priority going forward. I don't think the league can afford to sit on their hands in this stage.

If you are not willing to take a chance over $44K then we need to throw in the towel and go Division 2. Stop pretending to be Division 1 if that is the real reason for not expanding. If the real reason is that the private schools are insisting on only adding private schools then the MVC publics and privates need to go separate ways and group with other schools that have the same athletic goals as each other.
    You are focusing on one thing and it's just one piece of the overall puzzle. When considering NCAA money, you should always consider the one unit the conference will get as it is the only guaranteed money.

There are conference media rights that get split up, there are logistical issues that cost real dollars -- I bet you that the Iowa schools do not want the travel costs to go to Murray for all sports, the list goes on and on. That is on top of what 4Q brings up every time a name is brought up, and that is how fellow Valley members see said school at the educational level, endowment size, etc.

You've got to start thinking rationally and logically about these things. If you want to keep it real, I'm not sure any AD/HC on the hot seat right now would want them in the league, either -- self preservation and all. You could argue Loyola/Valpo got in because everyone else figured the mighty MVC was far superior to Horizon League teams. The reality is there isn't much separation between mid-major conferences and all decisions are status and money based. My suggestion is if you want the Valley to expand, scratch Murray off and find more private schools because that is what the majority of the conference seems to want. I have no doubts that if we, Illinois State or any of the publics were brought up for membership, we'd be in the same boat.

To me, I feel like the Presidents want the MVC to be the Big East of the Midwest. Elgin is just their puppet. Your best long term play is to wish ill will on the Saint Louis program to where they become the A10 doormat for 5 years and their administration looks to the Valley again -- it is where they should be IMO.
    No ads. Name in gold. Enhanced features. Become a Supporting Member for only $15 today!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Svoboda For This Useful Post: