Become a Supporting Member to remove this and all other advertisments! Click HERE for more info!
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Administrator Jason Svoboda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    57,753
    Thanks
    2,133
    Thanked 5,613 Times in 3,369 Posts
    Rep Power
    350

    Valley coaches talking about longer 3 ball


    Register to remove this advertisement
    Good article here. I for one hope it does open the floor a bit more and allow for more slashing.

    https://www.pjstar.com/sports/20190701/change-is-good-valley-coaches-love-longer-3-point-shot
    No ads. Name in gold. Enhanced features. Become a Supporting Member for only $15 today!

  2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jason Svoboda For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Legend TreeTop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    5,490
    Thanks
    1,258
    Thanked 966 Times in 643 Posts
    Rep Power
    65
    Wow, I didn't realize the increase in distance is 15 inches, that's pretty significant.
    NO EXCUSES

  4. #3
    Supporting Member BrokerZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    3,919
    Thanks
    342
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 824 Posts
    Rep Power
    80
    Interesting. Seems just about everyone is looking forward to the rule change. To really open the floor, however, they also need to widen the lane. Teams can still pack it in with a 2-3 zone that will limit driving lanes. Extending the three will help some, but hopefully a widening of the lane comes with it soon.

    I also wasn’t aware of the flopping rule. Kessinger better be careful this year. That’s a little bit of his M.O.

  5. #4
    Starter
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    344
    Thanks
    82
    Thanked 59 Times in 50 Posts
    Rep Power
    12
    Brokerz, I think you hit the nail on the head there. It's interesting to see the change in charging philosophies since he's come into the program. Charges were handed out like Halloween candy for a while. Would anyone be interested to bet that he picks up 3 of the techs this year...not saying he gets the warning then the tech, but that he is called for three?

    As to the three point line moving back over a foot - help side defense on saggy man2man or zone just got more difficult. Long close outs on a skip pass will result in straight line drive and kick to another open shooter, or dunks.

  6. #5
    All-Conference
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Posts
    607
    Thanks
    140
    Thanked 148 Times in 101 Posts
    Rep Power
    10
    I'm personally against the changes, but I also won't stop watching because of it. I just hate how they are trying to turn college basketball into an NBA minor league. The NBA is just horrible basketball. I know some argue that the new rule changes help prepare college players for the NBA, but 99% of college players are never going to go to the NBA. Personally I would expand the shot clock back up to 35 seconds, and leave the 3 point line where it is right now. I see enough terrible shots already. Moving it back isn't going to help in my opinion.

    I'm also against the NIT experimental changes such as widening the lane and having quarters in college ball. The fouls should be left alone too (7 for 1 and bonus, 10 for 2 shots).
    Last edited by Sycamorefan96; 07-24-2019 at 09:11 PM.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sycamorefan96 For This Useful Post:


  8. #6
    Supporting Member BrokerZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    3,919
    Thanks
    342
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 824 Posts
    Rep Power
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by Sycamorefan96 View Post
    I'm personally against the changes, but I also won't stop watching because of it. I just hate how they are trying to turn college basketball into an NBA minor league. The NBA is just horrible basketball. I know some argue that the new rule changes help prepare college players for the NBA, but 99% of college players are never going to go to the NBA. Personally I would expand the shot clock back up to 35 seconds, and leave the 3 point line where it is right now. I see enough terrible shots already. Moving it back isn't going to help in my opinion.

    I'm also against the NIT experimental changes such as widening the lane and having quarters in college ball. The fouls should be left alone too (7 for 1 and bonus, 10 for 2 shots).
    Just curious about what you don't like about the NBA. I look a college basketball and see a slog/foul-fest pretty much every time I turn the game on, so I much prefer watching the free flowing game of the NBA nowadays. I'll watch ISU hoops until I die, but over the last 10 years I've become pretty intolerable to the college game.

  9. #7
    Legend
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    indy
    Posts
    6,359
    Thanks
    743
    Thanked 754 Times in 558 Posts
    Rep Power
    57
    I would never watch an NBA game, but I watch a lot of college ball.

  10. #8
    Administrator Jason Svoboda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    57,753
    Thanks
    2,133
    Thanked 5,613 Times in 3,369 Posts
    Rep Power
    350
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokerZ View Post
    Just curious about what you don't like about the NBA. I look a college basketball and see a slog/foul-fest pretty much every time I turn the game on, so I much prefer watching the free flowing game of the NBA nowadays. I'll watch ISU hoops until I die, but over the last 10 years I've become pretty intolerable to the college game.
    Some people really don't like watching a ton of 3s get thrown up and I can sorta understand it. Me, personally, think Golden State's offense is beautiful and most of them come out of amazing, unselfish ball movement but all folks that don't watch will see is the box score -- they don't see the 3 extra passes or forcing the defense to collapse to give an open shooter 10 feet of space.

    Personally, I love the longer distance because I think it should mean fewer 3s being shot by folks that have no business shooting them. If by some chance those folks keep shooting them, then it means you should see a better separation of team metrics. One of the things you can count on is pretty much every stat category in the NCAA having all schools bunched up within a few percentage points of one another -- everyone damn near plays the same game and you have very few outliers or unique styles.

    Unlike SF96, I welcome widening the lane because I think you actually will see more ball movement and slashing brought back to the game at the mid-major level. No point in doing that why you can just keep a big on a block and have them park there. This is akin to back in the early 2000's when NBA games were hand check fests. When they removed illegal defense, Pat Riley was besides himself saying it would ruin the game and that nobody would be able to drive. Instead, you had a much more open NBA where offense started occurring and 70-69 games started becoming 110-108 games, especially after hand checking was eliminated to compound it.

    I also would prefer quarters and removing the 4 minute interval timeouts because I think that squashes a game into momentum killing chunks. But maybe that is just me.
    No ads. Name in gold. Enhanced features. Become a Supporting Member for only $15 today!

  11. #9
    All-Conference
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Posts
    607
    Thanks
    140
    Thanked 148 Times in 101 Posts
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokerZ View Post
    Just curious about what you don't like about the NBA. I look a college basketball and see a slog/foul-fest pretty much every time I turn the game on, so I much prefer watching the free flowing game of the NBA nowadays. I'll watch ISU hoops until I die, but over the last 10 years I've become pretty intolerable to the college game.
    Shot clock is too short in the NBA and there is no defense at all. It is just jack it up as quick as you can and I don't enjoy watching it. Thing is, you really aren't allowed to play defense in the NBA. I think there is even a lane violation for defense. Basically I hate it, just because I think it is lousy basketball. At least in the NBA though, everyone is crazy good shooters and crazy fast. In college that's definitely not the case and you are going to see more bricks thrown up than the bricks around the Rockville courthouse. 99% of everyone is still going to be jacking up threes no matter where the line is, so we're probably going to see a lot of bad shots this coming up season. I haven't even gotten into the "all about me" attitude most stars have in the NBA and the lack of loyalty among players.

    I like college ball way better because the players actually seem to care, most teams actually try to set up an offense of some sort, and there is actually defense being played (most of the time). I pretty much just watch the MVC and OVC so I can't speak for the rest of Division 1, but from the 22 schools I watch consistently every year, I like college ball better and it's not even close. However between those 22 schools I think only 2 players got drafted (both OVC) and maybe a couple of others make the D league or whatever they call it now. Trying to turn the game into the NBA just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

  12. #10
    Administrator Jason Svoboda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    57,753
    Thanks
    2,133
    Thanked 5,613 Times in 3,369 Posts
    Rep Power
    350

    Register to remove this advertisement
    Quote Originally Posted by Sycamorefan96 View Post
    Shot clock is too short in the NBA and there is no defense at all. It is just jack it up as quick as you can and I don't enjoy watching it. Thing is, you really aren't allowed to play defense in the NBA. I think there is even a lane violation for defense. Basically I hate it, just because I think it is lousy basketball. At least in the NBA though, everyone is crazy good shooters and crazy fast. In college that's definitely not the case and you are going to see more bricks thrown up than the bricks around the Rockville courthouse. 99% of everyone is still going to be jacking up threes no matter where the line is, so we're probably going to see a lot of bad shots this coming up season. I haven't even gotten into the "all about me" attitude most stars have in the NBA and the lack of loyalty among players.
    If this is what you believe, I don't believe you watch much NBA.
    No ads. Name in gold. Enhanced features. Become a Supporting Member for only $15 today!

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Svoboda For This Useful Post:



Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •