Become a Supporting Member to remove this and all other advertisments! Click HERE for more info!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Supporting Member SycamoreStateofMind's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,301 Times in 1,926 Posts

JB Trib Star Read

Register to remove this advertisement
    https://www.tribstar.com/sports/loca...bdf1914b8.html

A few thoughts to generate some conversation...

I don't think that Lansing can afford to ride JB the way he did last season through another 20% conference shooting drought. He/Lansing didn't have a lot of other options - but he has other options this year. I'm glad to see them both acknowledging that Barnes has to be come a better passer and better defender for his game to take that next step. We will see pretty quickly if that is just lip service or if they intend for him to actually be a pass first player. For me - I think that will require a lot of focus and attention to detail that I'm not sure Barnes is capable of. Having watched him for 3 years now - I see him always looking for opportunities to let it fly (that's fine scorers look to score) and not all that often looking for ways to get others involved or looking for the hot hand.

My 3 keys for JB:

- Take better care of the ball. This wasn't mentioned but he's not always making sound decisions.

- Pass first.

- Defense. Defense. Defense.
    Roll Timber!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,726 Times in 1,030 Posts
    First, it was a typical Todd Golden article in that it had many phrases that were too cute by half, as well as typos that went uncorrected.

Second, I think of all the players mentioned that can take some pressure off Barnes, Cam is the most important. If Cam can play the point where Barnes doesn't have to have the ball in his hands so much and can come off screens, catch and shoot, etc it will help everyone.

I don't think Barnes is a true point guard and it's pretty late in his career to turn him into one. Having Bacote take that job and makes Barnes less responsible for handling and distributing the ball would be a big plus.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,509 Times in 3,299 Posts
    Honestly, having read it, it makes me feel like they may be laying the ground work for a 4 guard lineup with Barnes at the "2" and Williams at the "4".

Or, if you get enough production from what bigs you have, you could just run hockey shifts once you find the right groupings.
    No ads. Name in gold. Enhanced features. Become a Supporting Member for only $15 today!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Svoboda View Post
    Honestly, having read it, it makes me feel like they may be laying the ground work for a 4 guard lineup with Barnes at the "2" and Williams at the "4".
    I don't know, here's the quote from Lansing:

"He has to be a point guard and more of a true point guard. He can really make shots and score it, but his advancement as a player is as more of a pass-first point guard. I use Fred VanVleet as an example when he and I have talked about it,” Lansing said.

Sounds like Barnes will be running the show whenever he's on the court. I'd rather seen him at the 2.
    NO EXCUSES

Legend
    Thanks
    My question is how good would Williams be at the point? As far as JB playing the 2, he can't because of Key and Neese.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,509 Times in 3,299 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sycamorebacker View Post
    My question is how good would Williams be at the point? As far as JB playing the 2, he can't because of Key and Neese.
    He ran it plenty last year. Not interested in watching it again.
    No ads. Name in gold. Enhanced features. Become a Supporting Member for only $15 today!

Legend
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Svoboda View Post
    He ran it plenty last year. Not interested in watching it again.
    Well, if he is going to play forward, I hope he can be more consistent on his rebounding.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,259 Times in 794 Posts
    I'm not sure I totally agree with Golden's statement that Barnes "re-focused on being a distributor" the second half of the conference season last year.

He did increase his assists and limit his turnovers slightly better than the first half, but it wasn't noticeably different. He basically averaged one more assist per game in the last 9 regular season games and our 1 tournament game than he did in the first half (3.2 versus 1.9). He did have a positive assist to turnover ratio in the second half, which was an improvement, but he has a loooong way to go before I would consider him a distributor.

Barnes has to really make some changes this year to be back to All-MVC. Based on the article, I'm not sure he's completely self-aware about what he needs to do.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BrokerZ For This Useful Post:

Legend
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokerZ View Post
    I'm not sure I totally agree with Golden's statement that Barnes "re-focused on being a distributor" the second half of the conference season last year.

He did increase his assists and limit his turnovers slightly better than the first half, but it wasn't noticeably different. He basically averaged one more assist per game in the last 9 regular season games and our 1 tournament game than he did in the first half (3.2 versus 1.9). He did have a positive assist to turnover ratio in the second half, which was an improvement, but he has a loooong way to go before I would consider him a distributor.

Barnes has to really make some changes this year to be back to All-MVC. Based on the article, I'm not sure he's completely self-aware about what he needs to do.
    Iím not worried at all. He has plenty of skills to help us.

Role Player
    Thanks

Register to remove this advertisement
    The quicker that Lansing & Barnes realize that Barnes is not the best Sycamore on the floor the more successful the team will be. They should have learned that last season during MVC play. It won't be any easier this time around.