Become a Supporting Member to remove this and all other advertisments! Click HERE for more info!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-Conference
    Thanks

Football Predictions

Register to remove this advertisement
    Todd Golden gave us his picks, so I think it might be time for ours.

My picks with scores.

@Kansas= L 24-31
    We've never won against a P5 school before, so until it happens I'm not going to pick it. My guess is that it will be a lot like the IU game in 2012. We definitely have the talent to win and I expect it to be close.

Dayton= W 52-20
    Dayton is generally a good Pioneer League school. I think they will keep it close for around a half before the talent gap begins to show and we pull away for good.

Eastern Kentucky= W 28-24
    EKU might be the best school we will play in non-conference. Lucky for us it's a home game. This is a must win if we want to make the playoffs.

Eastern Illinois= W 59-17
    EIU will be in rebuild mode this season and I don't expect anything less than a blowout. Their defense is just bad and their offense isn't the greatest either.

@ South Dakota= W 35-28
    This game could go either way. I think we squeak by and get the W in this game.

Western Illinois= W 52-24
    We should win on homecoming this year.

South Dakota State= L 31-34
    Something bad always seem to happen when they play us here that prevents us from winning. Also regardless of who they lose they always seem to have someone else that just makes big plays game after game.

@Illinois State= L 17-28
    We just don't play well over there and Illinois State should be pretty good this season.

Southern Illinois= W 35-28
    SIU gives us a scare, but we overcome and win.

@Northern Iowa= L 20-31
    Another place and team we rarely have success against.

Youngstown State= W 35-27
    I don't think they'll play as bad as they did last season, but I also don't think they'll win either.

@Missouri State= W 38-27
    They give us one last scare, but we win and secure our spot in the postseason.

Overall Record= 8-4
    MVFC Record= 5-3
    Last edited by Sycamorefan96; 07-21-2019 at 03:24 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sycamorefan96 For This Useful Post:

Legend
    Thanks
    I'm hesitant to make predictions, but think this is a pretty good shot at it. MVC games are just very unpredictable. The blowouts sometimes come as a surprise because a team if off that day, and the close games can truly swing either way on a handful of plays.
    Fear the Trees!

Role Player
    Thanks
    Sycamorefan96 - nice job and I think your predictions and scores are accurate. I predicted 7-4 last year, and to no surprise after a 0-111 2017, received a great deal of skepticism.

This year the expectations are high, and we would all be pleased with 8-4.

Personally, I'd really like to see us beat Kansas. I really don't like Les Miles. He's weird and creepy. The Pooka Williams one game suspension shows what kind of program he runs. Any other coach with integrity would have made a bold statement, right out of the gate, with a stronger message. Watch hiim read prepared, scattered comments from a notebook about the decision. Note: Not his decision, rather the ADs. Seriously, the head coach, who speaks of developing a culture, doesn't make the decision to discipline his star player? Give me a break.

So, chalk me up for a W against Kansas and a loss elsewhere on the schedule.

Go Trees!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ktulu View Post
    Sycamorefan96 - nice job and I think your predictions and scores are accurate. I predicted 7-4 last year, and to no surprise after a 0-111 2017, received a great deal of skepticism.

This year the expectations are high, and we would all be pleased with 8-4.

Personally, I'd really like to see us beat Kansas. I really don't like Les Miles. He's weird and creepy. The Pooka Williams one game suspension shows what kind of program he runs. Any other coach with integrity would have made a bold statement, right out of the gate, with a stronger message. Watch hiim read prepared, scattered comments from a notebook about the decision. Note: Not his decision, rather the ADs. Seriously, the head coach, who speaks of developing a culture, doesn't make the decision to discipline his star player? Give me a break.

So, chalk me up for a W against Kansas and a loss elsewhere on the schedule.

Go Trees!
    Well...ah...hmmm.

I think we just went from a 17% chance of beating Kansas, to a 47% chance of beating Kansas...but only if the referees don't BFUINTA, like the Zebras did get against us playing Eye Ewe in 2012.
    a.k.a. The Blue MOSQUITO

Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 876 Posts
    The only thing that bothers me about the football team is this - there has never been a season, since 1984, in which the expectations are so sky-high. How will the team handle it? How will the fans handle it? If we lose to Kansas in the first game, will all this hype and confidence dry up? Will 8-4 be considered a good season, or a failure? One unlucky injury, and we could be a whole different team. What happens then?

Will people stick with this team, or will they desert in droves at the first sign of trouble? I don't know the answers. I have tons of confidence in the team and the coaching staff. I just know how ISU teams usually deal with high expectations - it ain't good...

Personally, I could see 10-2. I hope I'm right, and not just blindly optimistic. But I'll be at all the games, regardless of what happens!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,546 Times in 3,325 Posts
    Playoffs or bust.

Don't care about the record. Whatever it takes to get a seat at the table and then lay it all out on the line.
    No ads. Name in gold. Enhanced features. Become a Supporting Member for only $15 today!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason Svoboda For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,726 Times in 1,030 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Svoboda View Post
    Playoffs or bust.

Don't care about the record. Whatever it takes to get a seat at the table and then lay it all out on the line.
    Agreed.

8-4 is fine ok if the loss outside of the conference is Kansas, and we go 5-3 in the conference and get an at large.

Would I rather go 9-3 or 10-2, sure but at the end of the day making the playoffs is the number one goal.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluethunder For This Useful Post:

Sixth Man
    Thanks
    The ultimate goal is undefeated all home games in the playoffs and play NDSU at Frisco. The program is not there yet but we are getting closer. 8 is fair can win 9 or 10.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,546 Times in 3,325 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluethunder View Post
    Agreed.

8-4 is fine ok if the loss outside of the conference is Kansas, and we go 5-3 in the conference and get an at large.

Would I rather go 9-3 or 10-2, sure but at the end of the day making the playoffs is the number one goal.
    My thought is just about natural progression. The team should have been an at large berth last year based on all metrics except the folks that pick the field but natural progression with being in "the last 4 out" group would mean playoffs this year considering we return pretty much all of the major contributors minus Keys and get back several defensive players that were lost to injury that were significant contributors.

Going forward, if we are to assume the program is stable and that the foundation has been laid, the team shouldn't dip below .500 overall or in conference ever again with Mallory at the helm if he is a high level, championship coach. If we do it means either 1) we lost too many key players and/or 2) the staff failed in recruiting and development. There are now 43 players on the roster that are juniors or older with true juniors being Mallory's "first class" so it's all on the program at this point.

It may just be the GM-nerd in me, but my biggest story for the season is looking at the depth chart unfold. We should never see true freshman in the two deep again IMO because again, that means your program failed at recruiting/developing a position. It should also mean that by having seasoned players in the two deep at every position that the "next man up" mantra should mean playoff level football with any sort of attrition. One of the things I routinely do is look at NDSU's depth chart and it is rare to see underclassmen listed -- it happens, but those guys are usually big time lands and then they never give up the spot. That is what we should aspire to be/do.
    No ads. Name in gold. Enhanced features. Become a Supporting Member for only $15 today!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 876 Posts

Register to remove this advertisement
    Looking past this season, I've heard some really good things about the JUCO QB that we brought in in this last recruiting class. I believe he's got three years of eligibility...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to IndyTreeFan For This Useful Post: